Berger Bullets on Game. Specifically 6.5

weatherbee

I would like any input anyone has on Berger bullets on mule deer and up size game( Elk). From 50 yards to 1000 yards. I know there are people that love them and people that hate them.

Im most specifically looking at the 6.5's in 140 VLD Hunt and 156 EOL. I have a few boxes of each. Currently shooting ELDX

any wounded animal, DRT animals, pictures and videos would be greatly appreciated.

Are they the best option for heavy for caliber high BC and SD bullets? Or is there a better option that has high BC and is used for hunting?

6.5 PRC with 156g Berger at 3000fps. 2 cows this year. 608 and 132 yards. Both never took a step. Cow at 132 stood for 7 seconds and tipped.
Mule Deer at 616. Front shoulder. Hit the dirt.
2 mule deer does. One at 80-100 yards. Ran 15 yards died. Other was 377. Dead on its feet.
Buddy shot his 280lbs black bear at 400 yards with 140g Berger from 6.5 PRC through Front shoulders. Ran 40-50 yards and dead.
The PRC with 156 at 3000 is wicked and anyone who's compares it to something like a 6.5 CM is lost. A 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC aren't even close. Like comparing a 22-250 to a 270

Ok..I have had a love hate relationship with berger bullets for years now. Let me say, I have killed a ton of game with berger s--far more dead animals that lost...(only one). I will say though I have had a couple of bullets "pencil " through...and most are just pieces in game (total blown up)

Now I'm a bit old school--I like expanded bullets with a shank--but when people started shooting bergers--I fell in love with the slick shape--and yeah they killed--in 2018 I was setting in our little back pasture--we have axis deer pass through from time to time...a big fat buck with short thick horned made a appearance. I thought he would make some nice sausage--so I put a 130 grain berger load I had been shooting in my 6.5 Grendel encore-- (the load shot lights out--2400fps out of a 21 in barrel) It was a little over 200 yards--put the crosshairs on his shoulder--bang...flop...watched him for 3-4 min--all still. Got down got the K. mule and drove over....no deer...what....one little pool of blood...looked for 2 days...nothing....went back to 123 grain, and 99 grain hammers...killing machine....i still use 250 berger s in my Norma, and 175 elite hunters in my SAUM...they work...but need the speed... if I had the 6.5-300 horsepower I'd go 156s...

Last edited:
7mm Rem Mag- 168 VLD- 30-200 yards, six for six Kansas Whitetails, none went further than 30 yards. I believe FPS was around 3k. Damage was highly dependent on shot location.

300 RUM- 230 OTM 3-3 Kansas whitetails, all within 50 yards. (This was not my intention, I setup for a 4-800 yard shot.) All three dropped at the shot. Again, highly dependent on shot location. Large Cow Elk at 288 yards, she ran 125 yards leaving a massive blood trail in fresh snow. Didn't need the snow to track as I saw her drop, but would have been an easy tracking job. Shot was behind the shoulder with very little meat loss. When we moved her for pictures, it was like turning on a garden hose. Exactly the results I wanted. 308 entrance with a 2"+ exit.

135-140 out of 6.5 Creed for my wife's rifle. Very effective and I personally wouldn't go any lighter.

I like heavy for caliber(heavy side) and I'm pushing the 230 around 2915. I could go faster but it shoots so well at that charge weight. This is for elk, deer I find what ever shoots best and isn't cruising at 3400 fps will be just fine. Again, this is my findings and preference.

From people that are in the know: stay with heavy for caliber bullets.

That being said, I have not seen as much confidence in the 156s vs the 140 hybrid that has taken all kinds of N American game. Not sure why just what I have seen. I don't shoot any of the Berger's below 130 out of a 6.5 caliber (260, 264wm, etc) rifle personally.

6.5 PRC with 156g Berger at 3000fps. 2 cows this year. 608 and 132 yards. Both never took a step. Cow at 132 stood for 7 seconds and tipped.
Mule Deer at 616. Front shoulder. Hit the dirt.
2 mule deer does. One at 80-100 yards. Ran 15 yards died. Other was 377. Dead on its feet.
Buddy shot his 280lbs black bear at 400 yards with 140g Berger from 6.5 PRC through Front shoulders. Ran 40-50 yards and dead.
The PRC with 156 at 3000 is wicked and anyone who's compares it to something like a 6.5 CM is lost. A 6.5 CM and 6.5 PRC aren't even close. Like comparing a 22-250 to a 270
I'm not saying a creedmoor is the same as a prc by any stretch, but a prc shooting 156 Berger's at 3000 FPS is right at the minimum velocity for expansion on a Berger..on a bull elk at 1000 yards... not for me. A well placed shot will do it but at those ranges why not have some more security. However out of a 6.5-300 weatherby it'll still be cooking. But a 140vld at 3000 at 1000 yards is under the 1800 FPS that Berger says For reliable expansion. With that cartridge you'll be fine though.

I'm not saying a creedmoor is the same as a prc by any stretch, but a prc shooting 156 Berger's at 3000 FPS is right at the minimum velocity for expansion on a Berger..on a bull elk at 1000 yards... not for me. A well placed shot will do it but at those ranges why not have some more security. However out of a 6.5-300 weatherby it'll still be cooking. But a 140vld at 3000 at 1000 yards is under the 1800 FPS that Berger says For reliable expansion. With that cartridge you'll be fine though.
Yup. Sorry, I just read your earlier reply just now. Definitely wasn't referring to your comment. And I completely agree. I'd never shoot an elk at even 800 yards with the PRC. 30 cal is minimum for me on just about anything over 700 yards.
Cheers

6.5 SAUM. 156 Berger's made quick work of this elk @ 400 yards.
9F3A2F32-FB19-4C01-8E41-D8B06381B851.jpeg

Ok..I have had a love hate relationship with berger bullets for years now. Let me say, I have killed a ton of game with berger s--far more dead animals that lost...(only one). I will say though I have had a couple of bullets "pencil " through...and most are just pieces in game (total blown up)

Now I'm a bit old school--I like expanded bullets with a shank--but when people started shooting bergers--I fell in love with the slick shape--and yeah they killed--in 2018 I was setting in our little back pasture--we have axis deer pass through from time to time...a big fat buck with short thick horned made a appearance. I thought he would make some nice sausage--so I put a 130 grain berger load I had been shooting in my 6.5 Grendel encore-- (the load shot lights out--2400fps out of a 21 in barrel) It was a little over 200 yards--put the crosshairs on his shoulder--bang...flop...watched him for 3-4 min--all still. Got down got the K. mule and drove over....no deer...what....one little pool of blood...looked for 2 days...nothing....went back to 123 grain, and 99 grain hammers...killing machine....i still use 250 berger s in my Norma, and 175 elite hunters in my SAUM...they work...but need the speed... if I had the 6.5-300 horsepower I'd go 156s...
preciate the info. What about an aoudad at 600? 156 or 140 berger do it? or rather have a hammer?

6.5x284. 2940 FPS. 140 Berger VLD Hunting

•3-Whitetail bucks ranging from 40 to 80 yards. All took less than 20 steps but did not drop in their tracks
•Cow Elk at 380 yards-5 steps
•Cow elk at 250 yards-DRT
•Bull elk at 270 yards-DRT
•Antelope at 635 yards-DRT
•Antelope at 360 yards-5 steps
•Mule Deer at 480 yards-10 steps
•Mule Deer at 612 yards-DRT
•Mountain goat at 444 yards, ended up putting another in him.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.