Berger Bullets on Game. Specifically 6.5

I have taken numerous deer and coyotes with the 140 VLD from 80-280 yards. Most shots were with my 6.5-284 traveling at 2950 FPS. None ran more than 40 yards with complete pass throughs.
This year I used the 144 Hybrid from my 6.5PRC on two whitetail. One was 25 yards, the other was 60. Both of them were pass throughs and DRT. It did wreck the offside shoulder of one deer.
7D1E4C2F-CBC9-4D1C-8508-C6AFBCCCAA4B.jpeg

Last edited:
Shot 2 mule deer bucks at 375 and 400 with a 140 vld at 2950 out of a 6.5-284. Both boiler room hits, small exit, dead deer.

Shot 4 deer with the PRC. 2 with a 143 and 2 with a 135. All DRT. 300, 300, 315, 390. The 135 left a 2.5-3" hole and massive damage. The 143 was more like the 140 vld but neither shot was exceptionally placed. All these deer were shot with my rifle but with a different hunter behind it each time.

Not sure what to think really. I like the 135 for what I do, which is predators. Hammering yotes this winter while looking for wolves. I shot another at 692 thursday and could see the blood through my scope. Mangy mut was done. So far I've hammered 6 this month from 250-1125.

Let me say I both love but don't fully trust Bergers. Over the years, I've tried them several times. I have shot 3 antelope (7mm 180 old style target yellow box) and 1 whitetail (338 Hunter hybrid orange box) with Bergers. All were killed and recovered. The shots were at distances from about 100 to 350. The deer and one of the antelope were two of the longest runs that I've had after being shot. In both cases, the bullet penciled more than the typical explosive opening you hear about. I've also shot groundhogs with the 80gr Berger (again old style yellow box). All of my experience has been so-so. I've killed and recovered everything I've shot with Berger, but I've always found other bullets more decisive and consistent for on target performance. For instance, the ELD-X 230 works much better on deer for me than the 250 Berger hybrid in the 338, the ELD-M works more consistently in the smaller calibers than the Berger. The JLK and Amaxes/ELD-M worked better than the Berger on groundhogs. The only issue I ever had with Berger as a target bullet was the price and for that I love them, but I don't intend to hunt with them again in the near future.

If you can. Go to YouTube. Visit "simple Minded fell" page. He does high and low velocity test in ballistics gel. I think his test are good as he uses the same standards as bullet manufacturers.
FWIW the Barnes 127gr and 120gr are what I use in my 6.5 CM

Let me say I both love but don't fully trust Bergers. Over the years, I've tried them several times. I have shot 3 antelope (7mm 180 old style target yellow box) and 1 whitetail (338 Hunter hybrid orange box) with Bergers. All were killed and recovered. The shots were at distances from about 100 to 350. The deer and one of the antelope were two of the longest runs that I've had after being shot. In both cases, the bullet penciled more than the typical explosive opening you hear about. I've also shot groundhogs with the 80gr Berger (again old style yellow box). All of my experience has been so-so. I've killed and recovered everything I've shot with Berger, but I've always found other bullets more decisive and consistent for on target performance. For instance, the ELD-X 230 works much better on deer for me than the 250 Berger hybrid in the 338, the ELD-M works more consistently in the smaller calibers than the Berger. The JLK and Amaxes/ELD-M worked better than the Berger on groundhogs. The only issue I ever had with Berger as a target bullet was the price and for that I love them, but I don't intend to hunt with them again in the near future.
Honest, non-biased report👍

I would like any input anyone has on Berger bullets on mule deer and up size game( Elk). From 50 yards to 1000 yards. I know there are people that love them and people that hate them.

Im most specifically looking at the 6.5's in 140 VLD Hunt and 156 EOL. I have a few boxes of each. Currently shooting ELDX

any wounded animal, DRT animals, pictures and videos would be greatly appreciated.

Are they the best option for heavy for caliber high BC and SD bullets? Or is there a better option that has high BC and is used for hunting?

Going from memory over the last several years, so more general impressions than quantifiable data.

155gr HVLD from a .308 launched at 2900ish. Killed a couple of whitetails and some pigs. One of the does might have run 50 yards. Pigs were DRT. At the time I was also playing with the 155gr Lapua Scenar. It was my impression the Scenar was a bit harder and didn't expand as quickly on lung shots. The Scenars were a little easier to get to group well. The HVLDs killed a little better.

130gr HVLDs launched from .260 and a 6.5x47 from 2850 - 2950. Great bullet. Dropped everything I shot with them in their tracks. That was Whitetails and coyotes.

185gr classic Hunter launched at 2650ish from .308. Super easy bullet to get to group well and killed pigs very well, even past 400 yards. Grouped in the .3s to .4s. Killed three pigs at 400+. Two of them with one shot. Very effective. When I have another .308 barrel chambered, this will be the first bullet I try.

140gr Elite Hunter launched at 2740ish from my 6.5 Creedmoor. 1st animal was medium sized Caribou male, shot on the run at 200ish yards. He ran maybe another 40-50 yards before going down. Lungs absolutely devastated. More bloodshot on both entrance and exit side of rib cage than I have ever seen. One whitetail doe at 410 yards. Ran about 75 yards. Exit wound about the size of a quarter. Was my impression that bullet got nearly 1/2 way through the doe before beginning its expansion. Two whitetail does this year, one at 300 and the other at 247. Both DRT. Two coyotes at about 200. Both DRT. Easy bullet to get to group well.

Hope this helps.

John

So i'll be frank i don't or haven't had good experiences with my berger bullets but i'm about to tailor an entire rifle around a 108gr EH and have a 30 sherman +p build in the back of my mind tailored around the 245gr EH.
As to the topic of discussion. We have used 105gr Hunting VLDs in our 17" youth 243 at 2700fps, 130gr Hybrid at 2830fps out of my 6.5x47, and last one I actually used was the 140gr EH out of our 6.5 SAUM at 2935fps (low at the time).

1. We've taken three deer with the 105. My mom spined a large 8pt that was DRT. I shot a doe at 150yds that ran 200yds into a bayou with a 2" exit wound. Bizarre honestly. Then dad lost one in the same fashion that was shot well in that same bayou with that load. They're running a little slow so we could just attribute it to that.
  2. My 6.5x47 with the 130gr hybrid was a spine shot at 330ish on a good 8pt he was DRT
  3. Then with the SAUM I double shouldered a small buck at 275yds and he didn't go far but there was no blood whatsoever. The other was DRT but close.
Idk though we just haven't had the most consistent results with them and it's led to a lack of faith. That said i've also grown up on heart shots and shoulder shots. Seems high shoulder is the way to go with bergers without question. Almost seems like they're tailored for bigger game. Our ELD M and Eld-X and Amax absolutely devastate whitetail down here.

Going from memory over the last several years, so more general impressions than quantifiable data.

155gr HVLD from a .308 launched at 2900ish. Killed a couple of whitetails and some pigs. One of the does might have run 50 yards. Pigs were DRT. At the time I was also playing with the 155gr Lapua Scenar. It was my impression the Scenar was a bit harder and didn't expand as quickly on lung shots. The Scenars were a little easier to get to group well. The HVLDs killed a little better.

130gr HVLDs launched from .260 and a 6.5x47 from 2850 - 2950. Great bullet. Dropped everything I shot with them in their tracks. That was Whitetails and coyotes.

185gr classic Hunter launched at 2650ish from .308. Super easy bullet to get to group well and killed pigs very well, even past 400 yards. Grouped in the .3s to .4s. Killed three pigs at 400+. Two of them with one shot. Very effective. When I have another .308 barrel chambered, this will be the first bullet I try.

140gr Elite Hunter launched at 2740ish from my 6.5 Creedmoor. 1st animal was medium sized Caribou male, shot on the run at 200ish yards. He ran maybe another 40-50 yards before going down. Lungs absolutely devastated. More bloodshot on both entrance and exit side of rib cage than I have ever seen. One whitetail doe at 410 yards. Ran about 75 yards. Exit wound about the size of a quarter. Was my impression that bullet got nearly 1/2 way through the doe before beginning its expansion. Two whitetail does this year, one at 300 and the other at 247. Both DRT. Two coyotes at about 200. Both DRT. Easy bullet to get to group well.

Hope this helps.

John
I've had similar results. That the only other pill I'd do general LRH with. I still prefer the Barnes in my neck of the woods. Passes thru small twigs and branches better then the Berger (and others). Also no lead in the meat. I hear copper is better for you 😋

I would like any input anyone has on Berger bullets on mule deer and up size game( Elk). From 50 yards to 1000 yards. I know there are people that love them and people that hate them.

Im most specifically looking at the 6.5's in 140 VLD Hunt and 156 EOL. I have a few boxes of each. Currently shooting ELDX

any wounded animal, DRT animals, pictures and videos would be greatly appreciated.

Are they the best option for heavy for caliber high BC and SD bullets? Or is there a better option that has high BC and is used for hunting?
I shot a mule deer doe on a late season hunt put 2 bullets side by side from about 75 yards away and she just stood there, 2 Berger's from a 260 130 grain VLD and we waited for her to expire, luckily it was quick, we don't know if they exited or blew up under the hide upon entry.... have not shot them in 3 years and don't plan to.

I shot a whitetail buck a couple of years ago at about 50 yards with a 6.5 creedmoor 140 berger vld hunter broadside right behind the front leg hit just above the heart it ran without any signs of being hit waited 20 minutes started looking at where I shot no blood no hair looking in direction the deer ran found nothing found it about 110 yards small entry hole no exit I use hammer bullets now I don't mind if a deer runs but I want a blood trail

I cannot speak to anything but the 130 VLD Hunter. Loading them into two different 260's. One at 2850 FPSfor my buddy and the other at 3010 FPS for myself. They shoot 1/2 moa out of my rifle and better than half out of his. My hunting buddy and I have taken numerous Whitetail and several pigs with them. Shots have ranged from 50 yards to 550 yards. Almost all were dead within 50 yards. No exit wounds except one spine shot. We did have one instance of pencil through in 2019. I was spotting for my buddy, ranged the deer, 178 yards, my buddy set up on a flat rock, front bipod and rear bag. Cross hairs on the shoulder, squeezed the shot off, the deer hunkered a little and ran 50 yards into the trees. I watched him in the woods for about a minute waiting for him to death wobble and fall over. Instead, he wondered into the woods out of sight. We waited half an hour then went to the shot site, there was no hair and no blood anywhere to be found. I found the bullet impact where the deer was standing (we were shooting slightly down hill). After a 2 hour search never found any evidence that the deer was hit, not even where he had stood for so long. We found the deer a week later by accident. He was hit squarely in the shoulder and had two perfect .264" holes through both shoulders. He was about 150 yards from where he was shot. I am not bashing Berger. They are excellent bullets that perform exactly as they are designed almost every time. If you intend to hunt with them you should clean the tips on all of the bullets you take to the field. My daughter took her first buck with the same rifle from roughly the same distance about a week later. He made it 50 yards and piled up.

Attachments

• FB624C20-1286-4A1B-87B0-B912551E6B66.jpeg
    FB624C20-1286-4A1B-87B0-B912551E6B66.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 89
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.