Berger Bullets News from the President

Might be a while, but stranger things have happened...

Probably see a .510 projectile before the .408:D

You are probably right about the fifty projectile.
As for stranger things, Hornady has a .416 hpbt match with a somewhat decent BC...

Any chance of a .408 projectile?

I have experienced significant hardship by making too many shooters angry with early announcements on specific bullets we are developing. I won't go down that road again.

So, you aren't going to hear about the specific bullets we are working on until they are developed, tested and in stock ready to ship.

With that being said we have numerous new bullets and calibers on our list. This includes the larger calibers.

I am excited about where we are going with these calibers but don't take this as an announcement of anything certain.

Regards,
Eric

Is the 90 grain 22 cal bullet on the chopping block or do you guys plan on making some more? seems like they have been out of stock everywhere I look.

Is the 90 grain 22 cal bullet on the chopping block or do you guys plan on making some more? seems like they have been out of stock everywhere I look.

We are making the 22 cal jackets for the longer, heavier bullets now. I'd expect these to be available again and from then on by the end of July at the latest.

Regards,
Eric

It's cool you came on here. I have had good luck with 6.5 Berger's in the 130 grain on whitetails in Alabama. I have not had much trouble getting them. I don't do a lot of shooting a 100 bullets last me through a season.

I know Berger have their hands full with supplying product demands for current bullets and some new ones we will be seeing some of soon but I think it would be pretty cool if Berger did a 338 Cal Hybrid bullet in 275 gr. with a .760 bc ........ there is a huge gap between the 250 gr and 300 gr that needs attention, some cartridges could really benefit from the lighter weight than 300 gr and better bc than 250 gr, kind of like the 7mm 180 gr vs the 195 gr where the lighter weight allows for higher velocity for better downrange performance in cartridges like the 7mm Rem Mag, 7mm WSM and 7mm Saum, same with the 30 cal , 215 gr vs 230 gr = the fantastic 215 gr Hybrid bullet for the 300 Win Mag, 300 Norma Mag and 300 Wby, etc .

I bet a 338 cal 275 gr Hybrid would be a gigantic hit with the 338 Edge and 338 Lapua Mag shooters all over the world, a lighter bullet at higher velocity with excellent bc and shorter coal will make everybody happy ! It will also work great in the 338 Rum, 338 Norma Mag, 340 and 338/378 Wby's ..........

I can already see a 275 gr Hybrid bullet with a .760 bc in my 338 Edge , stoked with 103-104 gr of RL33 at 3150 fps ........ do the math on the path, man ! frkn laser .........

Do you guys think I could shoot the Berger 6mm 95 gr Classic hunters out of my 24" 1 in 10 twist rifle? I had a hard time finding the 87 gr VLD's so I gave up on them, and bought some Sierra 85 gr HPBT's, and they suck. Lol. I learned my lesson, and I'm going back to Berger. I know the 87 gr VLD's work in my rifle, but I'm wanting a little more umph, so I'm looking at the 95 gr Classic Hunters. According to the twist rate calculator, under all of my hunting situations, I should never drop below a 1.51 stability rating. Under most situations, I'd be around 1.65. Can anyone confirm though, that they'll shoot out of a 1 in 10 twist? Thanks.

Edit: Any starting info for a load would be great too, if you can provide it. I've got H4350, Varget, and H1000 powders to play with. Thanks.

Last edited:
Do you guys think I could shoot the Berger 6mm 95 gr Classic hunters out of my 24" 1 in 10 twist rifle? I had a hard time finding the 87 gr VLD's so I gave up on them, and bought some Sierra 85 gr HPBT's, and they suck. Lol. I learned my lesson, and I'm going back to Berger. I know the 87 gr VLD's work in my rifle, but I'm wanting a little more umph, so I'm looking at the 95 gr Classic Hunters. According to the twist rate calculator, under all of my hunting situations, I should never drop below a 1.51 stability rating. Under most situations, I'd be around 1.65. Can anyone confirm though, that they'll shoot out of a 1 in 10 twist? Thanks.

Edit: Any starting info for a load would be great too, if you can provide it. I've got H4350, Varget, and H1000 powders to play with. Thanks.

No personal experience to give as I don't shoot anything in 6mm myself, but with those types of numbers from the twist rate calculator, I would feel VERY confident of those bullets in that rifle configuration. The Classic Hunters were designed specifically for factory rifles, which tend to have 1:10" twists in 6mm, so you should see excellent performance from them. Its just a matter of finding the right load that your rifle likes with them.

I think it would be pretty cool if Berger did a 338 Cal Hybrid bullet in 275 gr. with a .760 bc

I like where your head is but until we get things caught back up again we won't be making anything new with the exception of a bullet that has been ready to go for a long time. It is not a 338 cal though.

Regards,
Eric

I had a hard time finding the 87 gr VLD's

I'll thank Corey for responding to your question on twist rate. Our technical support guys are hard at work doing all they can to help.

Regarding the availability of the 6mm 87 gr Hunting bullets, I expect these to be shipping by August (maybe sooner). We will get everyone caught up on their back orders and then keep them on the shelf.

Regards,
Eric

No personal experience to give as I don't shoot anything in 6mm myself, but with those types of numbers from the twist rate calculator, I would feel VERY confident of those bullets in that rifle configuration. The Classic Hunters were designed specifically for factory rifles, which tend to have 1:10" twists in 6mm, so you should see excellent performance from them. Its just a matter of finding the right load that your rifle likes with them.

Thanks Corey and Eric for the response. I went ahead and bout 3 boxes of the 95 gr Classic Hunters last weekend. I was able to shoot them on Tuesday, and they show real potential. It was blowing 15 mph, and I never had a group over an inch at 100, and I shot 8 groups of three. The smallest group being .69". I'm pretty confident with a little tweaking, and a calm day, that these will shoot .5" groups for me. Thanks. :D

Okey Dokey Eric

As always I'm impressed with Berger's diligence in perfection. Kudos on the process bottle neck solution. I'm sure it wasn't inexpensive but considering the positive impact on production and quality I'm sure it will be beneficial all the way around.

Good going'!

Roy

I bet a 338 cal 275 gr Hybrid would be a gigantic hit with the 338 Edge and 338 Lapua Mag shooters all over the world, a lighter bullet at higher velocity with excellent bc and shorter coal will make everybody happy ! It will also work great in the 338 Rum, 338 Norma Mag, 340 and 338/378 Wby's ..........

I can already see a 275 gr Hybrid bullet with a .760 bc in my 338 Edge , stoked with 103-104 gr of RL33 at 3150 fps ........ do the math on the path, man ! frkn laser .........

This exact idea is just an all around excellent way to go, and is also what I'm hoping for. I hope Berger is first to market with this bullet, but my guess is that Nosler is going to introduce this style of bullet at shot show next year with the introduction of their 33 Nosler cartridge. Oh well ... until Berger comes out with something like the 275 I'll stick with the 300 EH in my 338 RUM.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.