Berger back story

ARlife4me

Before the covid disruption I had bought some 22cal 90gr vld for 556. Their 1st edition gave me reload info that wasn't correct. With the coal I would stand the case pointing up with the bullet inserted and the bullet would fall into the case. Going longer than mag or sammi length would've/could've worked, but not what I was looking for. I contacted Berger on the matter and was instructed too send them the boxes of bullets to them for replacement of another of my choice. Knowing the price I spent and was exchanging dollar for dollar they exchanged box for box. They even sent me an email for return merchandise label to print. I didn't expect for Berger to do an exchange that way, but that was their choice and I expressed my appreciation for their decision. What good experiences have you had with manufacturers in the firearm industry?

So what was their 5.56 load data? I'd like to see their data. Sounds like you placed a bullet in an empty case.

RCBS comes to mind for stellar CS. Berger's response has always been prompt, thought that would change when Nammo/Lapua purchased them. Best Berger move since was moving from California to Mesa, AZ. Only negative with Berger is I suspect many of their popular bullets are being funneled to their line of loaded ammo leaving handloaders wanting.

I had an incredibly satisfying experience with Berger earlier this year. The problem I was having ended up being due to the "Pressure Ring" dimension on the bullets being a little too large. They replaced the box of 500 and provided a return shipping label.

I've had excellent service with Berger, RCBS, Nosler, Leupold, Remington, S&W and SWFA. Berger gave me load data this year during covid and were quick to respond.

Oh I get it now - 90gn VLD, there's no way to seat it to mag length in an AR because the bullet is too long. Berger always prints SAAMI max length in their book, and in this case the bearing surface is inside the case neck trying to stuff it in a mag.
yup this is why I said I'd like to see the load data. But in any case I misread some of the OP's original post. AR's shooting 80 plus grain bullets will most likely be single feed and loaded very long. Sierra stated this with their 80 grainer back in I believe 1992. So most bullets heavier, and some lighter, will work best being seated long. For a .223/ 5.56 AR15.

Sounds like you are happy with the result, but I'm confused about the issue?
So what was their 5.56 load data? I'd like to see their data. Sounds like you placed a bullet in an empty case.
The bearing surface was very deep inside the neck when at coal length (2.260"). So deep that there was not enough surface for neck contact and it would just fall into the empty case. You would need too crimp at the shoulder is how deep it set. As far as powder goes I never got that far being not being able to seat the bullet properly/correctly.

RCBS comes to mind for stellar CS. Berger's response has always been prompt, thought that would change when Nammo/Lapua purchased them. Best Berger move since was moving from California to Mesa, AZ. Only negative with Berger is I suspect many of their popular bullets are being funneled to their line of loaded ammo leaving handloaders wanting.
That would be my summation also, along with other companies in regards with all reloading components! If it's popular, then it's their loaded ammo 1st and you get seconds/left overs. Very few powders and primers manufactured in America.

With modifications on certain mags you can seat out bullets on AR15's. I cannot remember the COAL. Whether it will work on Berger 90 gr I'm unsure. Straight from the magazine you pretty much limited to 77 HPBT or 73 gr ELD's. I've read some have made 75 ELDM's work with standard mags but I haven't. I made 80 SMK's work but I set my own cannelure using a PCM-2 Power Cannelure Machine.

I've had good experience with Nosler, Weaver and Savage. Several years ago I bought 1500 new in unopened boxes Nosler Custom Competition 52gr 22 cal bullets from an individual. When I opened one of the boxes the bullets were discolored so I called Nosler to ask if this was normal. Even after explaining how I acquired them they offered to replace them free of charge. The color was was different but nothing else that I could see so I kept them and they shot great. I was impressed with Noslers customer service though, I don't mind supporting companies that support their customers.

Last edited:
With modifications on certain mags you can seat out bullets on AR15's. I cannot remember the COAL. Whether it will work on Berger 90 gr I'm unsure. Straight from the magazine you pretty much limited to 77 HPBT or 73 gr ELD's. I've read some have made 75 ELDM's work with standard mags but I haven't. I made 80 SMK's work but I set my own cannelure using a PCM-2 Power Cannelure Machine.
2.350 with modded ss mags -- you can go longer if you mod the magwell and feed ramp