Berger 6mm 95g bullet (something changed)?

Mxracer532

Just purchased a box for my .243, BC is different, recommended twist is different, same part number. Old box has higher BC and recommended twist is 1:9. New box bc is less (bullet also measures shorter oal) and recommended twist is less 1:8.
I have been shooting these for years out of my 1:9.25 twist (custom chamber) gun for years. Measurements to the ogive for both boxes are the same.

Attachments

• IMG_20200312_155431.jpg
    IMG_20200312_155431.jpg
    1,015.9 KB · Views: 265
Oh oh, that is the same bullet that I have been shooting in my varmint 243 to less than 1/4 inch. That kinda sucks. If you get a chance to load some up and try them... I will follow with interest. Do have some stashed away though....
Tens :(

Oh oh, that is the same bullet that I have been shooting in my varmint 243 to less than 1/4 inch. That kinda sucks. If you get a chance to load some up and try them... I will follow with interest. Do have some stashed away though....
Tens :(
I only have 42 of the old box. I don't understand how the recommended twist went to 1:8 when the bc and length of the bullet is shorter.

Speculation... It may have to do with all the Doppler radar testing that is going on for each bullets. I think they are finding out more precise BC's and possibly needing different or faster twist rates to maintain the BC given on the box for more consistent G7 BC rates. I would load them as before and shoot them and check out my data. If it still matches then probably good to go.

I wouldn't concern myself at all with it, especially if they measure the same. For me, a lot # change always comes with slightly different measurements.
If you have followed Berger's recommended twist calculator over the yrs, the stability number changes periodically. 7-8 yrs ago it was 1.42, now it is 1.50. If the bullet shot in your rifle before, no reason it wont now.
Speculation on my part, but maybe upping the number is a form of protectionism, if the info out there is not followed, it really cannot come back on the maker. Face, if something does not work, no matter what it is, there is always a certain amount of animosity somewhere, warranted or not.

I'll bet they will shoot just fine. I had to step down to the 87 grn VLDs in my wife's 243. It has a 1/10 twist but it clover leafs the 87's so that is going to be her go to bullet for now. Also, almost complete pass through on a mule deer buck at 293 yards. Bullet was just under the hide. It went through the left side lungs and lodged in the off side shoulder just under the hide. Bullet was turned inside out. Buck made one jump and crashed to the ground. And some times I ask myself why do I shoot a 220 grain out of my 300 RUM :cool:.

I'll bet they will shoot just fine. I had to step down to the 87 grn VLDs in my wife's 243. It has a 1/10 twist but it clover leafs the 87's so that is going to be her go to bullet for now. Also, almost complete pass through on a mule deer buck at 293 yards. Bullet was just under the hide. It went through the left side lungs and lodged in the off side shoulder just under the hide. Bullet was turned inside out. Buck made one jump and crashed to the ground. And some times I ask myself why do I shoot a 220 grain out of my 300 RUM :cool:.
This is a 95gn vld from my 243, right at 3100fps and this mule deer buck was shot at 520 yards. Same results as you posted. Bullet was just under the offside hide. This is the offside shoulder.
I thought about trying the 87's but my scope has a cut turret for the 95's.

Attachments

• 20131012_101623_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    20131012_101623_Richtone(HDR).jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 236
Berger changed the twist rates on a lot of their bullets after Nammo bought them in 2016 and Litz joined them. For the most part they stated a slower twist than before for lot of their bullets. Lots of old info on it. Were a lot of questions about it when it happened.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.