Berger 6mm 95g bullet (something changed)?

I'll bet they will shoot just fine. I had to step down to the 87 grn VLDs in my wife's 243. It has a 1/10 twist but it clover leafs the 87's so that is going to be her go to bullet for now. Also, almost complete pass through on a mule deer buck at 293 yards. Bullet was just under the hide. It went through the left side lungs and lodged in the off side shoulder just under the hide. Bullet was turned inside out. Buck made one jump and crashed to the ground. And some times I ask myself why do I shoot a 220 grain out of my 300 RUM :cool:.
AMEN

Just purchased a box for my .243, BC is different, recommended twist is different, same part number. Old box has higher BC and recommended twist is 1:9. New box bc is less (bullet also measures shorter oal) and recommended twist is less 1:8.
I have been shooting these for years out of my 1:9.25 twist (custom chamber) gun for years. Measurements to the ogive for both boxes are the same.
I'm thinking the new box has "optimal twist" as 1:8" and the old box states for 1:9" or faster. Meaning that a 1:9" will work but 1:8" is preferred. I think they just changed the wording used.

Just purchased a box for my .243, BC is different, recommended twist is different, same part number. Old box has higher BC and recommended twist is 1:9. New box bc is less (bullet also measures shorter oal) and recommended twist is less 1:8.
I have been shooting these for years out of my 1:9.25 twist (custom chamber) gun for years. Measurements to the ogive for both boxes are the same.

:D That's nothing...have a look at these...the ones on the right are the brand new label.
VLD's 073.JPG

It's hard to see but the G7 on the orange box is .249 and twist is a 9VLD's 073.JPG

Last edited:
I found a video by Brian Litz on youtube. Somewhat paraphrasing the manner; before, the industry thought bullets were fully stable at a 1.4ish stabilization factor but with the advancements in the way bullets are tested and applying a good standard to achieve maximum consistent BC's AB labs found at 1.5 stabilization factor this fully stabilizes the bullet which also means you need a faster twist to achieve this type of stabilization or the right bullet for the barrel twist. This also will give the best results through transonic flight. So testing and getting all the data back we now have new twist rates recommendations and new BC numbers. The hardest thing the future is getting the rifle industry to change there way of thinking and offer faster twist barrels in there factory options. A few companies have somewhat done this already but its only a few. Still would like Remington to see the light. For me in the future I will look at which bullets I want to shoot/reload and look at the barrel twist on a rifle before buying.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.