Berger 6mm 105gr Hybrid on coyotes?

TacBlade

Has anyone shot a coyote with a 105gr Berger Hybrid Target bullet? Or any other varmint with it? I'm just curious on the results. I don't care what it does to the hide, I just want it dead. I have a couple hundred of these to use in my coyote gun being built with the 6mm Competition Match. Thanks!

The Bergers work well on dogs. They will nock a half dollar sized exit hole at about any range . However I prefer the a-Max's . They will hit a yote like an atom bomb. I've never seen a yote take a solid hit from an Amax and stay upright . They dump em in there tracks and that's where they stay.

I haven't used the Hybrid but the 105 and 115 Berger Hunting bullets suck at killing coyotes. Five coyotes shot that went down hard but got back up and made it well over 100 yards into heavy cover never to be found. The one that was shot at 318 yards, went down, ran 50 yards toward me, then over 100 yards away from me before going down for good, skinned it - dead center through the lungs. Anybody want to buy some 105 or 115 Berger Hunting bullets?

I did a coyote derby early this year with a buddy that happened to be shooting the 105 Hybrids out of his custom .243. By the time the hunt was over, we made it a point to never do it again without using a plastic tipped bullet or something light and fast. we had so many pass-throughs and lost dogs it was frustrating. Even short range, under 100 yards! I wouldn't recommend them for hunting. Just my opinion..

my 105 and 115 ARE the Hunting VLD's and they still suck, good for punching paper and ringing steel only. By the way, I shot a 150 class whitetail buck at 348 yards two years ago, held for the front shoulder, he dropped at the shot, as he was lying close to a prairie trail in my pasture I watched him for 2 or 3 minutes, saw no signs of life, walked back to my truck and drove around to where he went down, from shot to my getting there was 5 to 7 minutes, he wasn't there when I got there, I walked up the hill so I could see better and found him about 75 yards from where he went down - still alive, he got up but could only make it 30 or 40 yards before going down again, finished him with a neck shot, when I butchered him the bullet hole was through the scapula. Again anybody want to buy some Bergers?

I think they do fine on coyotes at closer ranges, while I don't know for sure because I never walked out to check but the coyotes I have shot at 600 to 1000 yards sure didn't go down that well. I suspect the bullet penciled through because it has slowed down so much.

Thanks for the info guys! I believe I will be shooting AMax bullets, unless someone has any other suggestions? Thanks!

If your shooting short range some will say , use a lighter bullet . But for me the 105 A-Max's have worked well at all ranges. Most of my shooting has been at 400 to600 yds. At this range the have performed flawless. They hit like atom bombs , best yote bullet I've used.

If your shooting short range some will say , use a lighter bullet . But for me the 105 A-Max's have worked well at all ranges. Most of my shooting has been at 400 to600 yds. At this range the have performed flawless. They hit like atom bombs , best yote bullet I've used.

You are absolutely right about the 105 Amax. They have worked great from 50-500 yards for me. However, they are extremely hard on fur up close. I bought 200 hybrids and 500 VLD's to test on coyotes. I want a bullet that won't blow up on close shots and will still open at long range.

My only hunting use with 105 Target 105's was on groundhogs (tough critters) in the east but at 3300 fps. They might work good at lower speeds but at high speed they would go clean through with a chest shot and leave almost no sign of blood as the critter ran off. Happened most all the time. I might try the Hybrids but would not expect it to be any difference, I am an accuracy freak so I hate to to tho the Hornady's but at this speed I probably have no other choice. Next season will start out with a 100 Hornadys. What could I expect from 115 DTAC's??

I have killed a load of deer and yotes with the 115 Berger from a 6-284 at 3200. Very impressive. Never lost one.

I'm shooting the 105amax's in a 243ai at 3225 and the 87v-max at 3320 in a 243. I think the 87's don't give up much inside of 400yds. My kids are shooting the 87's and the dogs are dead before the recoil is over. The 105's kill quick but I have not shot anything with them yet an 87 wouldn't do meaning every shot has been inside of 250yds. I'm hunting NH, Vt regularly and hopefully Me this winter. Me has some opportunity to see the Bc advantages of the 105 but my hunts in Vt and NH are limited except for 1 farm.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.