Berger 6.5 135gr Classic vs 140 gr Elite vs 143 gr ELD-X

Lpart

Ok guys just starting to work up load for a new 6.5 Creedmoor. Rifle is a Cooper Model 54 so nothing extraordinary about the chamber. I would like to hear some feedback if possible. Internet is pretty quiet on the Classic vs the Elite. Intended purpose is hunting to 600 yards. Mostly antelope, deer and sheep and possiblly an occasional elk.

If you have some loads I would appreciate it. I have H-4350 and RL26. Leaning towards the RL26 to start for better velocity.

I also have a Tubbs HBN kit. Should I or shouldn't I?

Thank you gentlemen.

Ok guys just starting to work up load for a new 6.5 Creedmoor. Rifle is a Cooper Model 54 so nothing extraordinary about the chamber. I would like to hear some feedback if possible. Internet is pretty quiet on the Classic vs the Elite. Intended purpose is hunting to 600 yards. Mostly antelope, deer and sheep and possiblly an occasional elk.

If you have some loads I would appreciate it. I have H-4350 and RL26. Leaning towards the RL26 to start for better velocity.

Thank you gentlemen.

I´ve been using RL-17 with awesome results. I use it for my 26" barrel and for a 18.5" barrel with outstanding results on both.

I can't comment on any of the bullets you mentioned. I do however shoot the 130 Berger hunting out of my 6.5X47. This is my practice gun so I don't have any on game experience. For what you described I think I would just shoot whichever of these bullets that shoots the best out of your rifle. My X47 likes H4350 but the Creed has a little more capacity so a 140 with R26 may be great. Good luck.

Thank you gentlemen.

I have been using the RL26 and 143 ELD-X in my 6.5 Creedmoor, I have a 26" x-caliber barrel heavey palma. I use Nosler brass with 52.7 gr H2O capacity, BR2 primers and HBN. You can read some of the results with the RL26 here

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f28/reloder-26-a-172482/index15.html

It also covers Temp sensitivity tests that some have done.

Berger shows a load on their site with RL26 and 135 Classic hunters out of a 24" tube.

For your intended purpose and the velocity window you can utilize any of the three you list will be more than sufficient. Of the three you list, I have spent quite a bit of barrel time in several 6.5 rifles, including a couple of Creedmoors, with the 143 ELDX. I can tell you that they will perform as advertised down to ~1,750fps, lower if you are targeting bone. You will want to take the time to sort them by weight and then again by bullet base to ogive to be able coax sub-half MOA accuracy out of them.
H4350 has been what delivered best accuracy and lowest SD in two of the Creedmoor chambered rifles I have messed around with. We worked up and ended up at 2,765 fps with a SD of 7. The other powder we have worked up with is Norma URP at 2,771 SD of 10. I would also consider R-16 as it falls right in that same area of burn rate and is temperature stabil.
If I were you I would try all three of those bullets and maybe the 140 Berger hybrid and determine what your rifle shoots most accurately and with the lowest SD. In the end the rifle will determine what it will shoot best. I haven't had a rifle yet that have much deference to what I wanted it to shoot best. Have fun that Cooper should be a nice stick.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.