Berger 375 possible?

cartridge comparison photo I took for your viewing pleasure ....... all this was discussed on the Wildcat Cartridges group on Facebook last year in June/July when I revealed the 375 Warlord for the very first time ....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 1,581
same capacity as the 375 Viersco Mag 2 except a longer case on the 375 Chey Tac bolt face.......

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 346
I've been successful in having Dale Janzen at Chinchaga Bullets make me a batch of 435 gr RBT ST Hybrid bullets and he has shipped me a batch for testing, next will be a 390 gr ......

These bullets are made with .036" thick jackets and a longer/taller boat tail with the hybrid ogive for reduced bearing surface, should be a fantastic tipped lead core bullet at sizzling velocities in fast twist 375 cal barrels, (min 10 tw is required) I have a 32" 7.5 twist Rock Creek barrel for my 375 Warlord and 30" 10 tw in the 375 Mjolnir and 375 Executioner

also have enroute is same bullet in 338 caliber at 325 gr .... yeehaaaaa !

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 171
Steve,

We have shot a small number of these bullets and the results are very promising so far. G1 BC over 1.0, and G7 around .510. I'm getting just shy of 2900 in the CheyTac case, 33" barrel. They appear to be grouping well but IMO it's too early to tell. We've got a lot of shooting planned for this week and will learn more as we go.

On the 'new wildcat' comment: I didn't mean to imply the wildcat was new to the world. It's new to me which means I made a poor choice of words. I meant no disrespect to anyone who may have done this before.

As the announcement states, this Berger bullet is totally experimental and may never be made public. But for the sake of discussion, a 1:8" twist makes a stability factor of around 2.0 which is advisable for ELR shooting, and the minimum twist to shoot the bullet would be around 1:9".

I heard that Bartlein may be running a batch of .375 barrels soon...

-Bryan

I am guessing the decision to go with a solid has something to do with the jacket problems they had during initial .338 development.

May also have something to do with the shape needed to produce the desired bc.

I am also thinking this will radically alter the twist rate needed to stabilize such a bullet. I am hoping some top barrel makers will step up to the plate and make such barrels available when the time comes.

ALCON,

It is most important that everyone is clear that this bullet is completely experimental. We have no plans to make it part of our line at any known time. There is a high probability that it will never be available. Any suggestion or speculation that this bullet is "coming" is false.

The reason we made this announcement is because Bryan is testing these bullets in the 2 Mile event. He will be testing solid bullets in other calibers in other competitions to see how they perform.

We know that Bryan using a bullet in competition that is obviously different than a typical Berger is going to be observed and discussed. We wanted everyone to know up front what he is doing to control the inevitable rumors.

The bullets being tested are of a length that can be used in standard twist rates. Bryan is testing design and dispersion performance. We are not exploring a radical new approach to rifle bullets.

We are experimenting with solid bullets in many calibers for two reasons. It has nothing to do with jackets.

The second comment in the above quote is the first reason. There are things you can do with a solid bullet design that cannot be done with a cold swaged bullet. This is due to the solid bullet being turned on a lathe. Designing bullets made on a lathe gives Bryan the freedom to experiment with shapes that he knows to be more aerodynamically efficient.

The second reason is due to the growing pressure on the use of lead. It is my personal opinion that concerns about lead use in bullets is obviously ridiculous. However, my personal opinion has done little to sway those who use irrational logic in an effort to push lead out of existence as a bullet material.

We are basically pursuing an insurance policy on the future of materials we will be allowed to use to make bullets. We are exploring other materials as well.

Should lead by banned for use in bullet production, we will be prepared with the next best alternative. This will be a bad day for the shooting sports. Everything we have tested over the last 20 years does not perform as well as lead when it comes to precision shooting (least dispersion).

Regards,
Eric Stecker
President
Berger Bullets

Bryan and Eric, thank you for participating in this discussion. Over the years, I have been, and continue to be, appreciative of your direct participation in this forum. I continue to learn a lot from you and am grateful for the insights you provide.

I don't think anyone who has been involved in this discussion for any length of time expects to see these bullets anytime soon. It is pretty clear from the information presented here that we are looking at prototypes that may never see the light of day. However, it is useful to interested persons as an example of what is possible.

From the beginning of my participation on this forum, I was drawn to it by the corps of dedicated riflemen who were interested, not in what is, but in what could be, in pushing the boundaries of the capabilities of equipment and shooter alike. IMO, the existence of such individuals has had a LOT to do with the improvements we are seeing in available rifles, optics, and components.

Though I do not count myself among this elite group of shooters, I have benefitted immensely from the work they have done. Thank you for making the effort to educate and inform us about new developments, whether we see them directly or not. It is an exciting thing to get to see the possibilities as they develop!

The King of 2 Miles never got past 2400 yards last time.
The winner shot a 50 BMG and second place shot a 300 Winchester Magnum and 220 Sierra bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.