BERGER .338 / 300 gr. Elite Hunter ELR Terminal Performance.

Hi!

Can someone please share this bullet dimensions? (base-to-ogive, bearing surface and tip-to-ogive).

I would like to feed them from a wyatt extended magazine box in a rem700 LA clone. I´ll be loading a 338Edge.

By the way, great shooting!

Thanks!!

berger website bottom of page quick reference sheet. will give dimensions on all bullets

By the way, folks...

I have been checking bullet dimensions and Wyatt magazine OAL...

I will be loading the 300 elite hunters at 3.79 inches to load from the magazine... that puts the ogive .175" from the lands with mi standard 338 edge reamer (if i´m not mistaken).

EDIT: 3,79 OAL is 2,845 cartridge base to ogive

Any of you have experience with that jump and the 300 EH? The hybrid shape is supposed to react well with different jumps, but this could be too much jump... By the way, the bullet bearing surface will be fully guided by the case neck till it engages the rifling...

Too much maths... I like to measure over a cutted chamber, but those numbers sound like a little big jump...

Any help/input appreciated!

I am jumping the 300 gr OTM .090 from my 338 rum with my new bartlein barrel. I am loaded to 3.800 and I have a wyatts box that will allow me to seat to about 3.825 oal. I am getting 2805 with this load using 99 grains of RL33 with zero pressure signs and one hole accuracy.

I have some results that some of the .338 Shooters here may be interested in. A friend of mine that is also a member here "Dave300" came out to my long range shooting school and purchased a 338 Lapua AI from me. While he was here we went over reloading, ballistic apps, bullets, and spent 3 days afield shooting near and far in wind and canyons. We stretched the rifle to well over 2000 yards with confirmed hits on 1 moa or less sized targets. Dave300 went home and on his first elk hunt took a good friend of his up to fill a cow tag. They had a cow at 1580 to 1600 yards. They were laser rangefinder challenged, and were fighting getting repeated reading but finally confirmed several readings at 1600 yards. Dave300 got his friend behind the rifle and set up as they dialed in the elevation and windage. Dave300 told him to send it when he was solid on the cow. With 3 or 4 different guys spotting the bullet was sent. The vapor trail was vivid as the bullet rose above and out of the spotters field of view and then came back in. The bullet landed center kill zone and it cow elk hunched up. She took a couple steps down hill and piled up. As they chambered a follow up the spotters reported she raised her head, attempted to get up and then expired and was done.

This is the farthest kill I have been able to gather data on for the New Berger 300 gr Elite Hunter. So I want to share the results, and a few pics, for those ELR hunters considering this bullet.

The bullet entered just behind the shoulder at the first rib or two. It all exited far side, at rib 3 or 4 with a nice exit hole. The vitals were mush with a good portion of the far side lung gone or unable to be identified in the jello. The heart was untouched.

Facts:
Bullet expanded well as can be seen in front edge of jacket pic. and exit hole size
We believe all lead, and 3/4 jacket exited the elk. No other fragments were found in vitals or during butcher of the elk.
Back 1/2 of jacket was found at far side exit hole just short of the hide.
Remaining jacket weight is 35.5 gr
Wound channel measured 22" and a full penetration.
Exit hole was just over 1" x 1 1/4"
Approximate impact velocity 1665 fps
Impact energy 1847 lbs
Flight time was 2.156 seconds.

Here is the pic of Dave300 and his good friend who now has a story of a lifetime to share along with elk in the freezer.

e1f6bd3e-22af-4630-87d4-fe125db3b2bb_zps0a5f163e.jpg

The remaining jacket.

d074759c-c0eb-482c-b570-d1728a09b3ff_zps3642bde6.jpg

The exit hole after hide was skinned removed during butcher.

a5715929-8da5-4246-8f7d-009fe95940f7_zps561aff60.jpg

So there is what we have. Draw your own conclusions as to whether or not these results suit you. At close to a mile, I for one am please to see the size of the exit and terminal results. I know this is only one instance, but these results work for me very well for a ELR hunting bullet.

Jeff
I'm sold. They'll be my "go too" LR hunting bullet for my 338 LM improved. Thanks for the complete and thorough experience of your results.

This is the Berger bullet of choice for me in my 338 Rum's. Since barrel break in, I am up to 2830 with 99 grs of RL33 in both my Broughton 5c and my Barlein. I have lost count of the DRT shots with this bullet out to 760 yards. One cow elk that I shot at 850+- with a bad wind call hit her in the hind quarter, she made it 50 yards and ran out of blood. I have recovered no less than 4 300 gr OTM's and they have been expanded between .75 and 1.25. My next change is to work up a load with the N570 that showed up the other day.

This is the Berger bullet of choice for me in my 338 Rum's. Since barrel break in, I am up to 2830 with 99 grs of RL33 in both my Broughton 5c and my Barlein. I have lost count of the DRT shots with this bullet out to 760 yards. One cow elk that I shot at 850+- with a bad wind call hit her in the hind quarter, she made it 50 yards and ran out of blood. I have recovered no less than 4 300 gr OTM's and they have been expanded between .75 and 1.25. My next change is to work up a load with the N570 that showed up the other day.
I'm pushing that same bullet a tad over 3000 with my 338 LM improved. Personally only hit paper and steel with that bullet but have seen it's wrath on big hooved critters. It does do it's job 100%. Bullet recoveries were very impressive also. I will put it to use next fall out west on an elk hunt so I'll hopefully have 1st hand experience.

Shot this buck at about 300 yards facing away laying down with the 300 EOL/.338 Lapua, destroying the spine. Look right above the sticker on the Nightforce. When processing, the hide was the only thing holding it together. MV 2842 FPS.
59B74E83-E651-49E6-8E44-3A875C0613E0.jpeg
66755B94-45A9-406D-80E1-6555458977EE.png