BERGER .338 / 300 gr. Elite Hunter ELR Terminal Performance.

Jeff

You think that the standard 338 lapua will be similar to the Edge? I can not seem to get them to group but I am trying at 100 so I will go back to 200 next time and start all over

Thanks
Mario

Jeff

You think that the standard 338 lapua will be similar to the Edge? I can not seem to get them to group but I am trying at 100 so I will go back to 200 next time and start all over

Thanks
Mario

Yes, the EDGE and standard Lapua run close to the same.

Take the most accurate load you have at 100 and shoot it at 200 or 300 and see what it does there.

Jeff

That's pretty impressive performance Jeff and matches what we've seen.
We've been shooting both the 250gn and 300gn EH's out of our 338 FX and 338 Lunatics, and have been very impressed with their terminal performance. They kill real well, even if not perfectly placed.
On a recent pre-wedding hunting trip for one of our staff writers Andrew, (what we call a "stag do" or "buck's night", but out hunting in the hills not drinking it up in town), one of his mates Mark who we've built a rifle for shot his first 1000 yard plus deer.

The 300gn at 3250fps MV and about 2100fps impact velocity out of the Lunatic practically disembowelled this Sika hind (doe) at 1050 yards even though hit too far back with a "meat saving shot". I had to edit the video clip when she rolled over showing the off side, it wasn't pretty. Certainly killed her right there though…

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yS-osHRwng"]Mark's 1050 yard hind with 300gn Elite Hunter - YouTube[/ame]

We did have some issues on the same trip with a couple of shots by the "groom to be" that I thought might not have got there. The deer didn't even flinch, so they either missed by miles or didn't get there. Since then I done extensive testing of the Elite Hunters on the gongs out to a mile, and they've all got there and performed accurately and predictably, so I think we'll just put it down to the "trigger puller". Maybe the groom was thinking more about "the shots" on his honeymoon coming up, than the shots on the deer…

Greg

Derek,
Its our version of the 338/408 improved, inspired by Kirby's first 338AM Black Sunshine. We've been building them for about seven or so years now, starting with a bullpup version. Shawns LRKM is a lot prettier though! The rifle Mark used in the video is one of our conventional builds.
Greg

I was in Sportsmans Warehouse 2 days ago and they had a couple boxes of 300 gr. .338 cal berger bullets on the shelf. Not sure if they were elite hunters or not,I was looking for 6.5 140 gr. Hybrids for a friend of mine. Go on their website or call them, I was in the Mesa Az. store.

Fantastic shooting by the way. What a great detail by detail report.
Tarey

I realize it isn't over a 1000 yds, but I just got home from my elk hunting trip with the 300 gr elite hunters and had some great results. I will post some pics later but the shot was 720 yds and the interesting part was I shot him in the "crease", the bullet never hit shoulder bone and he dropped like he was hit by thunder. I asumed my wind call was off just a touch cause he acted that way, the bullet went in all it hit was ribs on the far side, stopped on the skin and expanded like it was it was close range. Like I said I will post some better details with photos, but it was IMPRESSIVE!

For those of you who use .338s Bergers a little birdie whispered in my ear today that the boat tail angle is being slightly changed to make it stable through the sound barrier and hence increase it's stable shooting range. we should hear more at the beginning of the year. I might get to trial it to 3000 yds and if I do I ll report what I m allowed to share.

I have already shot this bullet out to 2843 yards, with no problems, so there is no secret to it. This was from my 338LM at 2929 fps and I was at sea level. When I get my new 338LM Imp barrel, 3000 yards should be no problem. I ran out of scope at 2843, that is why I did not shoot it further.

Recent Posts