Berger 300gr question

wbyfireman

Im figureing out a load to shoot with my custom 338 Lapua. My first outing at the range my best group was .5 MOA at 200yds with 89.0gr of Retumbo .015 jump (2795fps average) no pressure signs at all!!

For my next outing should I tinker with .1gr load charges at the same seating depth or tinker with the seating depth and keep the same charge??

The attached photo is a horizontal group, not a vertical, also had decent winds this day shooting from the bipod and rear bags
Just trying to get some ideas.

Thanks

Attachments

• B7C8E1A7-FE06-480A-B50F-A8DE218A3882.png
    B7C8E1A7-FE06-480A-B50F-A8DE218A3882.png
    174.8 KB · Views: 122
Bump

Looking for some advice before the next outing
Wbyfireman,
I use the 300 gr Elite Hunter and have had the best luck with R-33 and VV N570. The seating depth didn't seem to make much of a difference from just off to .020 off. With R-33 it shoots 3 in the high 2s when I do my part. I am still working with N570 but it seems to shoot in the .003 to .005 range.

I don't have a loading manual in front of me, so I'm not sure where that load falls within the range of min to max. Just my opinion, but I think you'd be wasting a lot of powder and bullets by working up in .1 gr increments. The Lapua is such a large case that such a small change wouldn't really amount to much (unless you're approaching max). If you're approaching max loads, then ignore everything I just said haha.

I always do the Berger seating test.
They want you to find seating then mess with charge weight.

I've seen other guys do just the opposite, both seem to work and I've tried both. I found it to be less rounds fired if I play with seating first.
But being you already arrived at a good velocity, I would play with seating. I would do some 5-10 thousandths tweaks above and below your current COAL.

H1000 is a solid staple in the 338 Lapua and a 300 Grain bullet. Usually 90-92 Grains you will hit an accuracy node. .010 off lands seems to be a common seating depth. However, all rifles are different, load accordingly.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.