Berger 300gr Elite Hunting

alaska

Just ordered some Beger 300gr Elite Hunting Bullets for my 338 Lapua

I have some H1000 on hand...........any one loaded these yet?

gun)

Start at 88 gr of H-1000 and work up toward 91 or 92 looking for accuracy just below where the pressure starts to show up.

I would try .015 off the lans for a beginning load and tune from there.

I like CCI 250's but the Fed 215 M is also a candidate.

These should load and fly like the 300 OTM's if I understand correctly.

Jeff

Thanks for the info

That 91.5 to 92.0 with H1000 with the 300gr is superb.

Now i have my 2013 santa list already made:

Accuracy International Chassis System (AICS stock) 2.0

Wondering if anyone has any update on how these newer Elite Hunters are shooting compared to the older OTM's. My .338 Edge should be ready soon and it seems these are more readily available than the OTM's.

You said start at 88 and work your way up to 91-92 with H-1000?

I am just starting to reload this round and my loading book says to start at 80gr and do not go past 86gr with a 300gr bullet and H-1000 powder?

338 Lapua
Rem 700 tact

With Hornady brass Retumbo @ 91.9 and 300gr Elite
or 89.3 with Lapua brass

Fed 215M primer
Trim to 2.714"

I could not get h1000 to shoot well in mine. But I think I was too close to the lans. I'll try backing off a little more

In my AR 30 I settled on

300gr Berger Elite
H1000 @ 92.0
WLRM primer
Lapua Brass

2833 FPS

COAL: 3.681"

are the elite hunters shorter than the otm's?

Just asking because I am using SMK's right now and at .020 off the lands my COAL is 3.684

I have a box of OTM's and they are noticeably longer than the SMK's

No same bullet everything just the OTM has slightly heavier jacket

I would start out at 3.681" that is the rec from berger

Wondering if anyone has any update on how these newer Elite Hunters are shooting compared to the older OTM's. My .338 Edge should be ready soon and it seems these are more readily available than the OTM's.

I experenced no problem with the few EHs I shot this past season with velocity in the upper 3300s. You will have no worries with Edge velocity.

blackdog,
The "nose slump" issue of the first generation 338 bullets has been addressed and corrected so the 2800 fps limit is no longer in play.

are the elite hunters shorter than the otm's?

Just asking because I am using SMK's right now and at .020 off the lands my COAL is 3.684

I have a box of OTM's and they are noticeably longer than the SMK's

snobound,
The ELITE HUNTER and HYBRID OTM TACTICAL have the same dimensions. It is quite possible depending on the size of the magazine box vs the powder column in the cartridge case that you MAY not be able to run a cartridge loaded with either bullet through your magazine box. Especially if it is a DETACHABLE BOX magazine. These bullets are not like the CLASSIC HUNTER hybrid bullets that have a SAMMI SPEC nose length so they can be seated to magazine length. Just an FYI. Please let us know if you have any more questions either here or at [email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.