Berger 300gn'ers - long range accuracy, hunting and terminal performance results

NZ,
Thanks for the pic I was curious to see the rifle.
Is that a rem 700 Ti receiver in the pic that your running
the Thor cartridge on?

No, that ones an electroless nickeled chromoly Rem 700, much modified in the magazine area of course. And I'm staying out of the "can't put Lapua's and Rigby's in 700's" debate. :D
We've been doing it for years, long before Remington started doing it themselves. The 700 is slightly ahead of the much vaunted MkV Weatherby in locking lug surface area and shear strength, and they've run the slightly larger diameter 378 Weatherby family for years. The 700 makes the lightest possible rifle in our 416R/338LM based chamberings with out going to a very expensive custom lightweight action.
Greg

Hey Greg,

whee are you in NZ?...i'm in Dunno's and been working into this long range hunting over the last 18 months.

i started with a 300 winmag sako varmint and that worked well for me in the 6-750 yard ranges with one one shot kill out at 962 on a red stag at Waiakia.....

just getting into the 338LM stuff now with a factory Savage 110BA....not my usual choice in rifle but i test shot it on the range and it was hard to walk away from another 0.5MOA shooter.....so thought this would be a good way to learn some more and add some confidence to the 800-1000 yard zone.

i don't now too many others over here that are serious long range guys....well on bigger stuff anyway....i know a few that are purely bunny busters....but thats not really me....i'd rather be in the tussocks and bluff systems

cheers
Kelvin

Greg,

No worries I wont go there. :D I'm just glad to hear the 700 can
satisfy your needs and more with out having to go custom $$$. So
im geusing your using the electroless nickeled chromoly (TriNyte coating) model
for its corrosion resistant ability's.

Thanks, Chase

Kelvin,
My home base is in Hawkes Bay.

Chase,
No, we don't use the factory coated actions as we'd have to remove some of it during the action truing/blueprinting process. We use plain chromoly ones and then get them nickeled afterwards.
Greg

NZLR, i can remember that you once built a Bullpup Lunatic. Was it a success? Are you still building them?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.