Berger 30. 230gr hybrid target or Tactical for hunting

Choose Upload a File,
choose Files or camera,
choose pictures,
select picture, you can choose full image or small thumbnail,
then Post reply.

Everybody uses the 215 target with good success so why not use the 230 version. I think the only difference between the 230 otm and target is the nose shape which would give the target the advantage for opening and a higher b.c.
True, but if loading to magazine length is a requirement use the OTM, as these were designed for this purpose by the military. There's a negligible difference between the two, though I've heard the OTM though still a Hybrid, is easier to load for.

I've been hunting with the 230 OTM since they were released. I have used them in one rifle at a MV of 2,740fps from 17 yards to 740 yards on about a dozen white tail and six feral hogs. Nothing has gone more than 20 yards. I've also used the 230 OTM from one of my 30/06 at 2435fps that I've taken about 20 white tail deer and three 200 pound plus feral hogs with from 75 yards to 719 yards. Again nothing has gone more than a very few steps. I actually like the performance better in my 30/06, as the exit hole is usually less than 2". In the 300 magnum the exit can get to be fist sized pretty easy inside 100 yards, bigger if you target the shoulder bones.
Finding a load with the 230 OTM in each rifle was stupid easy. I literally just load to a reliably feeding magazine length and find a safe pressure. Everything from 0.010" off the lands to 0.050" off shot 0.6 MOA or better in each rifle.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.