Berger .277 EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid 170 Grain.

Bob Beck

Over the last couple days I have been able to begin the initial testing of the .277 170 grain Berger EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid bullet. For the testing McMillan was able to put together a prototype EOL MTN Xtreme Rifle chambered in 270 WSM. This is not the exact configuration we intend on going with in our rifle line, but would work for the initial testing.

Now to confirm, this bullets is 1.520" in length and 170 grains, with a estimated B.C. of .703. This is one slick bullet for sure!

Our testing is planned for 3 steps. 1st is to test the bullets at the speeds we consider on the lower end. 2nd is to absolutely try to destroy them at the most extreme speeds we can push them. 3rd is, if the bullet make it past step 2, to push them at conventional speeds. Currently step 1 is complete!

Today wrapped up, a success in my mind, pushing the bullet 2825 FPS out to 1000 yards for function, and accuracy, also checking the estimated B.C. calculations. I shot approx 100 rounds through the 1-8 twist bbl and hit dang near everything in sight! With the occasional bad wind call, a miss or two were claimed as well! But the point being at the initial test speed of 2825 the B.C. estimate stayed true, accuracy was in check, and function was perfect.

I will attach a couple pics of the average groups during testing. One is at 600 yards, which I consider closer long range shots, and the second is at the 1000 yard mark. The conditions were: 85 degrees with 60% humidity and was 28.20 barometric pressure. Definitely some parallax to deal with. We (Bob Beck, Eric Stecker, Bryan Litz) strongly believe when we ultimately begin to optimize the velocity for this bullet, the results will only stand to improve significantly. So I am excited to get to the next round of testing!

Attachments

• IMG_0105.jpg
    IMG_0105.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 963
  • IMG_0104.jpg
    IMG_0104.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 905
Mr. Beck

What's your thought about pushing them in a mark 5, 270 WBY Mag? How do you think they will preform? Looks very promising!

The free-bore in the Weatherby would possibly be favorable for seating this long bullet in regards to case capacity. However you would still be up against the maximum length of the magazine box. The biggest hurdle I see, is that the Weatherby is most likely a 1-10 twist bbl. This bullet is rated for a minimum of a 1-8.5 twist.

Awesome!! Looking forward to the velocity getting up where it needs to be for max long range enjoyment :D I would love it if they would take 3300-3400fps!!

Where is royinidaho when you need him?!:rolleyes:

That 270AM might be just the ticket for pushing this new pill "as fast as it can go" :D

So Bob, when is the extreme weight 6.5 scheduled?

Nice shooting as always.

gun)

We have discussed the 6.5 a several times. It is on the back burner right now with this new .277 and the 7mm, 195 in the works. Once we achieve success in the field with these two, we will be moving toward adding new bullets to the EOL Extreme Heavy Hybrid line.

6.5! 6.5! 6.5! 6.5! :D

My original inquiry was more of a shot-in-the-dark/prayer. I'm excited to see gents such as yourself pushing the envelope as we ALL benefit from the results. Keep it up.

gun)

I had Kirby build me a 270 Amp. Long action with a 1 in 8 twist it's is built for this bullet. No mag box problems, currently I have been shooting the wildcat 169 ( vary hard to get) also tried the matrix 165's. I have occasionally looked in midway, sinclair but have not seen the bergers on there sight yet. do you know when they will be available to the public? I heard last April but havent found any yet, Where can I get some I am excited to try them. i know my gun will push them close to 3150 plus if I want. but 3000 is the sweet spot

Bob

Thanks for keeping us all posted. The preliminary tests look promising! I won't ask you when Berger plans to release this bullet, but I would like to ask if they are waiting for your testing to be complete before releasing the .277 bullet, and if so, how soon after your testing is complete will these be available at The Extreme Store?

I know the recommended twist is 8.5 but I know a few guys with 9 twist barrels that want to prove it :)

If you feel like sending me 20 or so I would be happy to report back for the 9 twist guys.

We made a very limited run of these bullets to start testing with. When I am done with my testing and am sure I will not run short, I will take you up on your offer to test and report on the 1-9 twist.

As for the availability of the bullets when completed, of course I will have to ask Berger when they can run them next, but I would think withing a matter of weeks after final testing that we could be ready to send them out the door.

Bob,

It's good to see progress is being made.

I appreciate what it takes to bring such a highly specialized bullet to completion.

A 170 class bullet is optimum for larger 277 cartridges.

I hope that they can't be pushed to destVruction in the WSM.

I felt touch of anxiety when I saw the shape of the two groups.

My experience with heavy for caliber 277 bullets and "banana" group shape left large emotional scar.:)

My "bananas" were much much larger than those posted. Which, by the way, are out standing.

I'll be eagerly awaiting the opportunity to try them in the 8 twist, 3 groove AM @ 3400 or so. Hope they pass your tests, the first time.:)

I will share a few more details with you guys. The initial test was done in a WSM with no lead in the throat at all. So this configuration was very finicky, and what we considered at the low end of the performance potential. As I write this, I have spent some time redesigning the reamer for the WSM for what we believe will be optimum performance. I actually bounced all my measurements off of Bryan Litz before we moved ahead on the design, he gave me all green light across the board. Now to be clear by saying optimum performance, I mean conventional speeds, 3000 fps plus. I hope to be testing this new configuration soon. We are feeling very confident the next round of testing will go better then the first, but never the less I need to go through the steps to make sure we are going in the right direction.

I will be reporting any movement on my end as soon as I can. Thanks for all your interest guys!

So good to hear that things are moving forward. I should be on the short list for the second round of trials - pushing these bullets to their max velocity. I have a 277 AM (based on 338 Lapua case) with a 1 in 8 twist barrel. It shot the 195 gr. Wildcat bullets lights out. I'm hoping these bullets will become my answer. My 277 AM has be stuck in "park" way too long.

Update! When Eric and myself were discussing the portion of the testing that we felt was needed to try to destroy the bullets, we decided to get hold of Kirby directly for the test. Great news! He confirmed with me this morning that he is excited to throw some out of his Allen Mag! I will be sending bullets to him first thing Monday morning. Once he gets a chance to play with them, I will ask him to jump on here and give his report!

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.