Berger 230 panic attack.

4xforfun

I have my "cabin gun" all set up with the 230's. Shoots great. Shoots fast. I have been planning an "abush" :D at 1060 and 1365 yards for deer. Have had steel set up on these spots for a year now. The bait is now out. Been skimming over the 230 tests on this fourm, but one very important fact went right over my head!! I see that there are TWO different 230 gr bergers...the "target hybrid" and the "OTM Hybrid"!! I have been shooting the Target Hybrid. My MV is right around 3200FPS. Should keep me up around 1700fps at distance.

Am I screwed??? I see tests on game with the OTC, but nothing for the Target hybirds.

Looking for a quick answer.....we are three weeks till season opener. if i need to change i need to do it, like, yesterday. Would like to order bullets today if I can.

Thanks,
Tod

Last edited:
What are you shooting them out of that's launching them around 3200 FPS ??

I had a salesman at Powder Valley tell me they were one and the same bullet but that didn't sound right to me so I didn't put a lot of stock in what he told me. It'll be interesting to read the replys here.

Just been reading the 210vld vs the 215 hybrid thread. The 215 hybrid target and the 230 Hybrid target should have the same construction I would think. Sounds like they are liking the 215.

What are you shooting them out of that's launching them around 3200 FPS ??

I had a salesman at Powder Valley tell me they were one and the same bullet but that didn't sound right to me so I didn't put a lot of stock in what he told me. It'll be interesting to read the replys here.

Look for post #8 on this thread

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/berger-30-cal-230-what-96921/

Way easier to for me to re post one of my earlier posts on a different thread than to type it all out again.

I kind of found myself in the same dilemma. I am taking a 10 year old hunting, and planned on him using my 6mm. Its having some mechanical issues so, my back up plan is a 30-06 with reduced loads. I've heard so much good I bought some 168 Bergers awhile back, and loaded them lightly (they shot outstanding) . Kind of second guessed myself, and took to whirling. In the end I found myself on the Berger site, and a short video gave me a simple answer-orange box hunting-yellow box target. Being simple minded I'm going with that for now. Video is worth a look.

I kind of found myself in the same dilemma. I am taking a 10 year old hunting, and planned on him using my 6mm. Its having some mechanical issues so, my back up plan is a 30-06 with reduced loads. I've heard so much good I bought some 168 Bergers awhile back, and loaded them lightly (they shot outstanding) . Kind of second guessed myself, and took to whirling. In the end I found myself on the Berger site, and a short video gave me a simple answer-orange box hunting-yellow box target. Being simple minded I'm going with that for now. Video is worth a look.

100% correct..I am just waiting for the 230's to come ib a blaze orange box!!:D I love the 210 Hunting, I just wanted that extra oomph the 230 gives me at 1365.

At this point I would not even consider changing bullets even if they are different.
You already have your drops established and confidence in your setup.
However consider changing the shooting distance in order to pick up expansion velocity if you can.

At this point I would not even consider changing bullets even if they are different.
You already have your drops established and confidence in your setup.
However consider changing the shooting distance in order to pick up expansion velocity if you can.

There are lots of spots at under 900 yards, some with bait. I have two more spots baited and with steel, 1003 and 1060. But the 1365 spot is very unique....not huntable from any other spot on earth. It is a spot across a big valley...all heavaly wooded. There is a swamp back in there and the beaver have cut down all of the trees in a small area. I simply did a little light grubbing and set up some steel. My guess is that this is big buck heaven....for now. :D

I went out to do a little shooting about 4 days after I set out the bait. I couldn't shoot at ANY of the 1000+ yard spots....they were full of deer!!

I figure that if I am going to bang any more steel, it is going to have to be noonish, when the deer are bedded for the day.

The target 230 is very well tested as a hunting bullet. The standard target has a better BC, and if it works for you, run it with confidence.

PM Bob Beck of Extreme Outer Limits about what he thinks of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.