Berger 230 grain .30 tactical hybrid ..recent experience?

LR3

i ve been using SMK 240 grains in my custom 30-378 WBY and it s pretty accurate with 6" groups at 1000 yd. I did a quick search but could not find any recent post. The 300 grain Berger hybrid .338 has been great for me on mule deer and antelope in my .338 AM.

Ant experience with the 230 grain hybrid and what velocities do you shoot it and hunting outcomes?

All bullet performance listed below are the target not the OTM versions.

Five years ago, the last time the two of us were drawn for elk, Don (85) got a cow elk at 300 yds with his 300 WSM using the 230 gr match target hybrid. Vel at muzzle was 2720 fps. Double lung stopped her and within a few seconds she just keeled over stiff legged and died. Exit was approx. 1 1/2".

I shot a huge cow at 250 yds with a high double shoulder shot in thickly wooded slope where there was a burn. Same bullet from 300 RUM vel 2975 at muzzle. The elk folded instantly DRT. Exit again around 1 1/2" dia.

A friend went to AK and shot a huge moose with his 300 RUM and the 230. He said it exited. He also used this package to shoot an aoudad at 635 yds in a strong crosswind of 12-15 mph. I saw his video and was another DRT. Exit hole looked small but who cares it stoned the critter.

This year I finally got drawn again. I shot a nice 6 x 6 at 156 yds. He was facing me at a slight angle. Bullet went in just a tad left of center and exited his right side several ribs behind the right shoulder. Bull turned half way around and crashed into dead pines DRT. This time I had reduced the load to 2802 fps @ muzzle.

While it is a small sample there are others who have used this bullet with great success.

Here is a link to a report of a guy using these bullets in Africa.

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/230gr-berger-used-in-africa-with-success.138852/

Shot two coyotes @ 1365 yards with the 230 Hybrid from my .300RUM @ 3068fps MV. Needless to say, they both died quickly. Unfortunately, no one in my family could get an elk in the crosshairs last year on the late hunt. Used the 215 Hybrid previously with fantastic results however.

Shot two coyotes @ 1365 yards with the 230 Hybrid from my .300RUM @ 3068fps MV. Needless to say, they both died quickly. Unfortunately, no one in my family could get an elk in the crosshairs last year on the late hunt. Used the 215 Hybrid previously with fantastic results however.

Excellent shooting! The elk remained elusive for me as well.

I can only speak to accuracy and velocity as I have not harvested any game as of yet.
I am pushing the hybrid 230's out of a 30-338 LMAI, I have pushed them with RL-33 as high as 3300 FPS with no issues. Accuracy with RL 33 is @ about 3150-3200 FPS. I have also pushed them with Retumbo as high as 3200 FPS but accuracy seems to be about 3100-3120. I have shot sub 4" groups with RL 33 at 1000 yds so the accuracy is definitely there, it leaves one heck of a dent in mild steel even at that range. I plan on giving them a go on elk this next year.

Shooting the 230 hybrid at 3015 out of my 300 RUM. Accuracy is as good as it gets. It's a big hog slayer out to 600. Haven't had a chance to try it farther on deer or elk.

Last edited:
Appreciate all of you also sharing your velocity nodes for accuracy. My .338 AM with Berger 300 OTM on antelope and mule deer is absolutely DRT lethal. Shoots accurately to 2650 but that's not often needed. But also the rifle is heavy so I ll try the .30 230.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.