Berger .224 55 gr Match Flat Base on varmints

xsn10s

I'm looking for ACTUAL use of the Berger .224 on varmints. I can get a drill bit to clear out the tips so just looking for actual use please. TIA

Use 'em for load development and sighting in. Switch to same brand /weight in a varmint bullet. Shoot a few to confirm POI.

Drilling a teeny weeny hole in a bullet that is tiny to start with, is a waste of your time (would be for me). Drill it crooked, it'll shoot crooked (at least not as good as it should).

Spend your time reloading/shooting, not drillin... IOM.

People have used them without drilling and haven take chucks and yotes. Which is why I'm asking those who have used them on varmints.

HP Match bullets are meant for punching paper, NOT meat. Match bullets have HARD lead cores, THICK copper jackets too. l learned about match bullets the hard way on a PD Shoot couple yrs back in New Mexico. l bought 600 Berger 35gr Match HP boolits on the cheap for my 221FB Rem 700 LVSF. They are/were wonderfully accurate on paper. Not so good on Prairie Dogs:oops: Actually had to shoot some TWICE!! Varmint bullets need SOFT lead cores and THIN jackets to make prairie dogs P O P🤯🤯🤯🥳

I haven't heard of a 35 gr 22 cal Berger. a 20 cal yes, but not in a 22 cal.

types or varmints, and ranges to be normally used at?
Exactly the question I was thinking! I use many different bullets on pasture poodles and I am the contributing factor, I have to hit the little buggers. Coyotes a little more critical, but it is still mostly the shooter.

Exactly the question I was thinking! I use many different bullets on pasture poodles and I am the contributing factor, I have to hit the little buggers. Coyotes a little more critical, but it is still mostly the shooter.
Any actual use is fine. I'm thinking chucks at 500-550 yards. Yotes, badgers, whistle pigs. My 22-250 1-14" twist is on it's last leg. It'll keyhole 50 gr vmax's, but for some reason it shoots the Berger 55 gr Match just fine. Midway advertises the 55gr Match as good on varmints, so that's why I asked if anyone has actual use on varmints.

Any actual use is fine. I'm thinking chucks at 500-550 yards. Yotes, badgers, whistle pigs. My 22-250 1-14" twist is on it's last leg. It'll keyhole 50 gr vmax's, but for some reason it shoots the Berger 55 gr Match just fine. Midway advertises the 55gr Match as good on varmints, so that's why I asked if anyone has actual use on varmints.
I don't have first hand experience on badgers or woodchucks but I understand they are a little tougher, personally I would still use what I do now. My hardest thing at those distances is wind which I see a lot of. If I find close ones I just get out the .17hmr.

I'll check when I get back home and look at what I have on my bench. Pretty sure that's the bullet we've used on antelope and it's done great. I can't imagine it not doing very well on what you mentioned.

I take it you have a bunch of them? If not, and if you're concerned about it there's a ton load other bullets that will handle those jobs very well. My main concern would be the longer ranges and them just not opening up. I'd much prefer a soft point for that kind of work.

Doesn't help a ton load I know, sorry about that

I'll check when I get back home and look at what I have on my bench. Pretty sure that's the bullet we've used on antelope and it's done great. I can't imagine it not doing very well on what you mentioned.

I take it you have a bunch of them? If not, and if you're concerned about it there's a ton load other bullets that will handle those jobs very well. My main concern would be the longer ranges and them just not opening up. I'd much prefer a soft point for that kind of work.

Doesn't help a ton load I know, sorry about that
No I don't have a bunch of them. But I still have a few loaded and I have confirmed my dope out to 800 yards. The big issue is nothing else that shoots well in my barrel comes close to the BC's as the Berger Match. I could use other bullets but I don't trust the terminal velocity for clean kills at 550 yards. I have bigger cartridges, but cattle and sheep are occasionally being driven out to the blm open range areas I shoot and hunt. So I'd rather keep the pills on the smaller side for a safer hunt. Thanks dogz that's the real world field use I'm looking for.

lt seems Berger makes a 55gr HP Varmint boolit too. l wonder WHY? 🤔

lt seems Berger makes a 55gr HP Varmint boolit too. l wonder WHY? 🤔
It's been long established that Berger Match bullets work for hunting also. Especially in the arena of long range hunting. Guys have been using 22-53gr SMK for varmint hunting also. It's even published in the Sierra Load Manual even though Sierra doesn't advocate using them for hunting. Have you used them for hunting? They probably would have worked better than the 600 35 grainer you bought. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/101067017?pid=739207

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts