berger 215 hybrid in 300 rum

BULLBLASTER

hi all, first post here. im from eastern WA and have been working with 215 bergers in my 300RUM.

I am starting to get some pretty good results so far i am at 90.2 grains Retumbo and 3.790 OAL. with rem brass and 215 mag match primers.

development group was 5 shots at 2 inches shot from 200 yards. 5 were about an inch group and the other was an inch away to teh left. i think it was me.

my next session i have same thing loaded but 5 at 90.5 and 5 at 91 grains.

my gun is a sendero with DE brake, action is bedded and wyatts mag installed. EGW 20 moa base and burris FFTAC 30 6.5-20 scope.

just starting out with longer range stuff outside 500 yards, but have hunted my whole life, bow and gun.

I have worked loads all the way to 95 gr of retumbo. Settled on 92.5 gr and going to start tweaking the OAL. Groups are at .7 100 yds. I expect things to get better at 2 and 300 yds. Shooting a stock 300RUM Sendero

hi all, first post here. im from eastern WA and have been working with 215 bergers in my 300RUM.

I am starting to get some pretty good results so far i am at 90.2 grains Retumbo and 3.790 OAL. with rem brass and 215 mag match primers.

development group was 5 shots at 2 inches shot from 200 yards. 5 were about an inch group and the other was an inch away to teh left. i think it was me.

my next session i have same thing loaded but 5 at 90.5 and 5 at 91 grains.

my gun is a sendero with DE brake, action is bedded and wyatts mag installed. EGW 20 moa base and burris FFTAC 30 6.5-20 scope.

just starting out with longer range stuff outside 500 yards, but have hunted my whole life, bow and gun.

Welcome to the forum! Excellent choice in a bullet for you 300RUM. I too am now running the 215 in my RUM. I previously used the 210VLD with great success but the 215 is a significant improvement with slightly better performance numbers at 1k than even the 230 Hybrid target bullet. My load is 92.0 H1000, Nosler Custom brass, Fed215GM mag primers and a COAL of 3.880" if memory is correct, this gives me .005" jump. My velocity is 3,140fps with less than 10fps ES. My gun wears a 27" lilja barrel. I don't believe you can find a bullet that will give you better long range performance out of your 300 RUM.

Thanks tumbleweed! I have been reading yourposts. I was shooting the 210 vld also but only at 2870 and 90 grains retumbo. I am excited for the improvement of the 215. Looking back through my development groups most were all right around 1 moa and I have been working to improve my shooting with trigger control and breathing and form as well.
I am around 0.1 jump with these at 3.79 but they fit in my mag and I want to keep mag fed.
Ill keep updating this thread with my progress also.

Thanks again

i went and shot the latest 2 loads this afternoon. wasnt very good.
las time i shot i was grouping a bit high so when i got home i decided to adjust my scope a bit... well i went the wrong way and when i shot today i was off paper... not good. i realized what i did before i shot the wecond load. and was able to hit paper. my group at 220 yards wasnt very great, around 3.5 inches. i am having issues holding steady ehile i am shooting. i am using a bipod and rear bag. when i aim i can see my heartbeat in the scope and am fighting small fast wobbles in teh scope. i only shot on highest power.
just need loads more practice i guess. for now i am going to stick wth 90.2 grains and just shoot some at distance and see how i do.

I decided to stick with 90.2 retumbo ant coal of 3.800. Shot last weekend some. While zeroing at 220 yards I shot 2 toughing and waanted to see what kind of group I could get. Ended up at 5 shots in a 0.7 inch group! Very excited about that.
Also managed to shoot groups out to 875 yards. I was sub moa to 820 and was having a bit of trouble with wind at 875. Still got zeroed in and got my drops though.
Don't have a chrony anymore but with by ballistic calculator and all correct info entered (elevation, temp, pressure, BC, etc.) I came up with 2930 Fps which is right in line with Berger's load data. Can't wait to shoot some more!

Are the 215's any thing you would use on elk ? I see some are shooting the 208 A-max on deer and smaller.

They kill as good or better than the VLD,s. My son was able to kill his first elk last season with one shot at 522 yards. Also look up the thread on here titled " comparing the 210 VLD to the 215 hybrid".

They kill as good or better than the VLD,s. My son was able to kill his first elk last season with one shot at 522 yards. Also look up the thread on here titled " comparing the 210 VLD to the 215 hybrid".

Thanx for the input !!! I have some interest in pushing the
210 nosler AB Lr too. It's BC is a little high as far as adversied
But sounds promising. And I hope to load it to fit my mag.
Do the hybrids like some jump ? 3.68 is my box. My 210's are 3.8 ten thou. In.

Thanx for the input !!! I have some interest in pushing the
210 nosler AB Lr too. It's BC is a little high as far as adversied
But sounds promising. And I hope to load it to fit my mag.
Do the hybrids like some jump ? 3.68 is my box. My 210's are 3.8 ten thou. In.

In my RUM I played with them between touching and .050" jump. They grouped pretty much the same. I ended up running them at .005" jump. I have heard several people have found sweets spots at .050" jump.

I shoot the 230 hybrid target bullets out of my 300 ultra mag with 86 grains h1000 at 2950 fps. They hit like a freight train on elk and massive wound channel and penetration. All of the bulls were shot between 550 yards and 375 yards. Their insides were turned to jello with large entry hole but never an exit that I could find.I hope they continue to make this bullet because it fits my gun quite well.

I shoot the 230 hybrid target bullets out of my 300 ultra mag with 86 grains h1000 at 2950 fps. They hit like a freight train on elk and massive wound channel and penetration. All of the bulls were shot between 550 yards and 375 yards. Their insides were turned to jello with large entry hole but never an exit that I could find.I hope they continue to make this bullet because it fits my gun quite well.

I shoot the 230 OTM with excellent results using 91g of retumbo and nosler brass right around 2965. Killed two elk and one deer ranging from 450-540 all DRT not even a step. You could of removed the heart and lungs with a ladle.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.