Berger 215 Hybrid ---- H1000

What velocity are you getting for the 210 and 215 gr bullets? If I recall correctly, you're running a 28" barrel?

Thanks -- Todd

28" barrel on mine and its 5C rifling. We are at 4100' ASL. My load is also in Lapua brass. I got 2995 with the 210's and am getting 3035 with the 215's.

I see the rifles vary here with Velocity, but not a ton. I had a Snowy Mountain rifle come across the bench with a 26" that shot 2980 with 77 gr. Most go over 3K with 78 gr. On average they shoot better at 77 and are at max. But on occasion there will be a rifle that is good at 78. If there is such a thing as a common sweet spot for this load, it would be 77 gr.

Jeff

Try seating the 215 at .050" off the lands. For my measuring method, this is a sweet spot for several of my rifles with hybrids.

In the last month or so I've sent more 215's down range out of my Rem 721 26" factory 300 Win then I care to admit. I have not been able to get these bullets to shoot good with RL26 or RL33.
Speed is great with RL26 getting me up over 3000fps without excessive pressure but they will not group better than 2 MOA, usually much worse. I have tried H1000 and even H4831SC in the past but those powders in 26" factory tubes seem to hit the wall with pressure at 2850fps in my experience. I had to put the 215's down and grabbed my box of 200 Hybrids.

So far on initial load development those look really good and using RL26 it's running 3150fps with no pressure yet. Before I got rained out tonight the first part of my powder charge testing was looking great with the 200's. The group I left on was slightly over .5MOA.
My theory on the 215's (at least out of this tube) is that above 2900fps they are too much for this factory barrel to handle. They seem to create a whip effect that I cannot tune out with very small incremental powder charge changes or seating depth changes.
It could be the 215/RL26 combo...not sure. But..the RL33 didn't shoot any better. Below 2900fps the ballistic advantage for the 215's goes away for me. Hopefully the 200 Hybrids work out.

Posted this in the bullet section, then found this... its only 3 years old, figured it's time to awaken the dead...

Have yet to find/see data from anyone who's had pressure (or a node) down near 74 grains of H1000 shooting berger 215s.

I fire formed with 73gr, H1000 and Berger 215s, loaded at 2.781 CBTO (.020 OTL) No pressure signs, grouped about barely sub MOA to .6 moa throughout seating depth test.

Seeing nobody ever posts a node or pressure signs that early, can I jump up to 74.5 or 74.8 to start?

Seems to be the recipe for 215s is about 76-77.5 gr of H1000 or so at .010-.040 OTL...

Just trying to save time, am i risking anything not starting at 73.3 or 73.5?

With 300wm, am I wasting brass doing the initial workup at .3 gr increments? Should I go .5 gr increments to find the node and fine tune from there with .2 or .3 increments?

Lastly...I had .6 groups with .060 off the lands, .9 groups with .020 off, but the horizontal looked great and that was off a bag, groups tightened up as I moved to a bipod/prone, so that may have skewed my results. Should I load at .060 jump and work in after I find a not to check .020 again?

Thanks all.

Posted this in the bullet section, then found this... its only 3 years old, figured it's time to awaken the dead...

Have yet to find/see data from anyone who's had pressure (or a node) down near 74 grains of H1000 shooting berger 215s.

I fire formed with 73gr, H1000 and Berger 215s, loaded at 2.781 CBTO (.020 OTL) No pressure signs, grouped about barely sub MOA to .6 moa throughout seating depth test.

Seeing nobody ever posts a node or pressure signs that early, can I jump up to 74.5 or 74.8 to start?

Seems to be the recipe for 215s is about 76-77.5 gr of H1000 or so at .010-.040 OTL...

Just trying to save time, am i risking anything not starting at 73.3 or 73.5?

With 300wm, am I wasting brass doing the initial workup at .3 gr increments? Should I go .5 gr increments to find the node and fine tune from there with .2 or .3 increments?

Lastly...I had .6 groups with .060 off the lands, .9 groups with .020 off, but the horizontal looked great and that was off a bag, groups tightened up as I moved to a bipod/prone, so that may have skewed my results. Should I load at .060 jump and work in after I find a not to check .020 again?

Thanks all.

Starting around 75 grains should be perfectly fine. Most seem to run in the mid 76's up to 77. I think at 73-74 grains you're giving up quite a bit of velocity assuming it's a mild load in your rifle.
If it was me, I'd do an initial pressure test in 1 grain increments starting at 75 up to 79. I'd use .035 - .040" jump. Load one round for each charge and work up until you see pressure signs, then stop. You probably won't get to 79 but I always like to overshoot just in case.
Drop back 2-3 grains from pressure and work back up to within a grain of previously established max in .2 or .3 grain increments for your charge ladder test. I like to shoot my ladders at 400 yards. Hopefully this will show you a definitive upper node. Pick center charge and start tuning seating depth.

I can do that...only change is I'm runing the load dev that Eric Cortina posted years back, and shooting these over a chrono to check ES with what I'm seeing on paper.

Big thanks for the suggestion. I just cleaned so will run the 4 shot pressure test as foulers.

This will save me alot of brass/time!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you saying the .040 jump to split the dif between 060 and 020?

It may have been me, but the .040 didnt shoot great

Are you saying the .040 jump to split the dif between 060 and 020?

It may have been me, but the .040 didnt shoot great

No. I've just found them to shoot good at that depth in a variety of guns. I would think .020-.040 would be the initial depth to work with. It could just be that your charge was in a scatter node too.

My Rem 700 factory shoots them very well at 74gn of H-1000. Think I started seeing pressure at 75 gn. I've forgotten the fps. Wasn't anything amazing. Been a couple of yrs I set it this way and don't ask questions. ;)

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.