Berger 215 Hybrid, 300 RUM factory magazine????

The Accubond shoots in the .6 to .7 range out of my rifle with little load development. I'm using IMR 7828SSC.

I guess if anyone could tell us what the length of the Hybrid was from the tip to where they make full caliber and we could then just do the math.

I have been doing load development with the 230gr hybrids at 3.60 COAL, and I know others have as well, so I think you should be fine. The 230's are 1.64" long and the 215's are only 1.564". I have not settled on a load yet, but fired my first ladder test with it and the ES was very low. Still able to push them well over 2,900fps as well.

If you are loading the 230gr or the 215gr , the nose lengths are the same, at a 3.60" OAL, the front of the bearing surface is about .150" down inside the case neck.

If you are loading the 230gr or the 215gr , the nose lengths are the same, at a 3.60" OAL, the front of the bearing surface is about .150" down inside the case neck.

Is it ok to have them seated that far back? I'm new to this sort of thing, so I don't know.

Is it ok to have them seated that far back? I'm new to this sort of thing, so I don't know.

You will not get a consensus on the answer to that question. My opinion is that it is an undesirable condition. I wouldn't make loads like that unless I didn't have any other choice.

You could call in undesirable, but the only real way to know is to try it in your gun. At the end of the day, all that matters is finding a safe load that will group well with solid velocity. If you can get a small group at 3.60, then why not?

Based on the ES numbers I have seen in my load workups, I am guessing I should be able to get some good loads at 3.60, but the verdict is still out. I would love to keep it a repeater, but if I need to go longer I will.

huntxtrm, I have been down this same road only with the 230gr. I seat to the magizine length and have had great results. my load is 85.5 gr H1000, rem case & fed 215 primers

Attachments

• 230 berger.JPG
    230 berger.JPG
    53.2 KB · Views: 119
Last edited:
I shoot the 230's and they are single shot for me. I think in another year or so I will have the gun customized out and get the extended box and probably a 28 to 29 inch barrel. Should get the up above 3000fps. Probablly be able to do it with just a 28 inch barrel. But the gun can shoot the 210 LRAB also pretty good as well. Rem sendero.

I am working up a load for the 210 gr hunting VLDs at mag length so I can get a turret built. I am able to go longer than SAAMI at 3.680" and still cycle rounds through the mag. My next plan is to go long with the 230 gr Hybrid just off the lands for a second turret. If I can get tiny groups with each, I will be able to change turrets with minor (hopefully) adjustments for the difference in POI at a given yardage. Has anyone out there went a similar route?

First of all I'd like to apologize for neglecting my own post.
My wife got me a new toy for Christmas that has been taking all of my gun focus.
My Accubonds are seated at 3.60 and just barely fit in the magazine box. From all the great information I've got from the folks on here I've concluded the 215 Berger would have to be seated .150 into the case mouth to fit in the box. This is something "I" personally am not comfortable with so I think for now I will stick with the Accubonds.

First of all I'd like to apologize for neglecting my own post.
My wife got me a new toy for Christmas that has been taking all of my gun focus.
My Accubonds are seated at 3.60 and just barely fit in the magazine box. From all the great information I've got from the folks on here I've concluded the 215 Berger would have to be seated .150 into the case mouth to fit in the box. This is something "I" personally am not comfortable with so I think for now I will stick with the Accubonds.

Well come on? What did you get fer Xmas? Where all wondering now! Lol

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.