Berger 215 highbred or. 230 tactical?

Maina

Need a little help . I have a 300 rum . This is a whitetail deer gun for shocks no greater than 900 yards I have the Leica rangefinder with the ballistic program so that's why I'm trying to stay under 900 yards . Shots will be pretty flat not much change in elevation or temperature wind shouldn't be an issue. I really don't want this gun to be a one shot gun would like to have bullets in the magazine. I just don't know which one would be better for my situation

You left out the 230 gr Match target hybrid. Based on the highest BC it would be the 230 gr match version. Based on what Broz has contributed the 215 might be your best choice for deer with a bit more expansion.

Broz said he preferred the 215 over either 230 unless the shots were going to be close on the larger bodied animals like elk.

Don't worry about seating the any of these hybrids deeply into the case. Even with a substantial jump to the rifling the hybrids usually will shoot with little or no seating depth tweaking.

Three of us chose the 230 gr match target hybrid. Two rifles are the 300 RUM the other a 300 WSM. My RUM shot a cow elk at 250 yd and the 300 WSM shot a cow elk at 300 yd. I saw the results. Both bullets exited and the elk died quickly. The other RUM shot an AK moose at approx. 80 yds and an aoudad at 680 yds. Both times the bullet exited and animals died quickly.

Broz has much more experience with these two bullets. Read here and make your decision. I would venture to say you will be happy with either. :

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/comparing-berger-210-vld-215-hybrid-88657/index12.html

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/berger-230-300-otm-hybrid-terminal-results-80283/

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/230-hybrid-target-vs-230-hybrid-otm-82043/index4.html

In my opinion, In a RUM either would be a good choice for what you want as long as you don't push the 215's too hard. By that I mean I see plenty of expansion with them from a 300 win at 3035 fps. I would not want to push the 215 to 3100 or 3200 for use on soft deer at distances below 500~600 yards.

I love the 215's in a 300 win, but if I were using a RUM I would load the 230 OTM or the 230 Target's. Just because the 230 seems to have less expansion at higher impact velocities.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

Figured you'd see this and express your views. Guess I misquoted you.

You must have some wonderful weather for shooting right about now.
We passed our best shooting weather back in April.....lows are 80ish these days.

Ross

Need a little help . I have a 300 rum . This is a whitetail deer gun for shocks no greater than 900 yards I have the Leica rangefinder with the ballistic program so that's why I'm trying to stay under 900 yards . Shots will be pretty flat not much change in elevation or temperature wind shouldn't be an issue. I really don't want this gun to be a one shot gun would like to have bullets in the magazine. I just don't know which one would be better for my situation
Mania,
What BROZ says and get lots of conditions reading practice in is a good way to go. Also take a look at the animal bullet placement targets on our website under the HUNTING tab on the main page.

Hi Jeff,

Figured you'd see this and express your views. Guess I misquoted you.

You must have some wonderful weather for shooting right about now.
We passed our best shooting weather back in April.....lows are 80ish these days.

Ross

Ross, no not at all. I don't think you misquoted me. I just wanted to point out that the 215's can be pretty expansive above 3000 fps. I really don't know if it is all bad, but I like what I see with lower impact velocities from the 215. Which is why I like them, I know they will be at their best way out there where I need them to be.:)

Weather here has been very good. I need to get back in the shop and get some gun stuff done. I am getting the itch pretty bad.

Jeff

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.