Berger 210 300WM load query

mmmooretx

I have a Ruger 77 MKII with Kreiger 24" 1:10 twist shooting .43" groups at 100 yards using 200 gr. SGK 0.010 off the ogive, and 78.5 gr. of H1000. My groups with the Barnes TTSX 185 gr. are 1/2" higher (100 yards on both) but similar grouping but with 0.040 off the ogive.
I have a set of 100 Berger 210 gr. hunting rounds ordered and and would appreciate what Bergers like off the ogive and powder. I have H1000, H4831SC, and Retumbo. Any inputs would be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I assume we are talking Win Mag not Weatherby Mag.... Our 300 Win shoots very well with a 27" Broughton 10 twist 210 Bergers .005" off the lands. I started .010" in and worked out. When I got to .005" out the ES and grouping was good enough I called it the load. We use 77 gr of H-1000 and a 215 Fed GM in Lapua brass. Velocity in the 2900 range. Took a small doe antelope last week at 813 yards with it, right where I was aiming.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I'll use that data and yes it is a Win Mag. However all I have at this time is the CCI Mag. primers. I appreciate the advice on a good starting point to find the sweet spot in my gun!

You are welcome. I hope it shoot as well for you, or better. Not saying I can do this every time,, but I did it once..:D

DSC01018Large-1.jpg

That is SWEET! My current range is limited to 300 yards, but I have found another within 1/2 hour that goes up to 1000 yards for a humbling experience....
Thanks again.

Just got an update from Midway and my Berger 210 hunters have shipped. I guess that means I will be doing some test firing next Sat. If it looks good I'll post some holie paper!

Last edited:
I'll echo what Broz said to a degree.

Same distance to lands, 75.7 gr H-1000, CCI250 and Winchester brass match prepped. Right at 2900 fps also out of a 26" McGowan barrel and consistently shoots about 0.3 MOA sometimes better. ES is about 10-12.

More good info! Cases are all prepd. except for neck turning (flash hole, primer pocket, fire formed, length trimmed) tool for turning soon. I have the CED M2 & RSI software, Pressure Trace II is on my wish list, data nerd...
Not sure where I will start on the powder as I was getting near 2900 fps with 78.5 gr. H1000 with the SGK 200 gr. bullet in my 24" Kreiger

I got them in last night and they look very supersonic in design. As my barrel is shorter than both of yours 24 vs 27 & 26" I think I will use 76-77.5 gr. of H1000 to find the sweet spot in four groups of 3. I will keep the set back at 0.005 as both of you like and just vary the powder initially. Saturday will be fun I will use my CED M2 to look for the fps average in each group and hopefully will post a pretty grouping at 100 yards for the set up. Thanks again for your support and insight in this round development, you saved me some $$
gun)

Wednesday night I got my loads done and have charged the battery for the IR screens on my CED M2. I can assure you that I will be at the range before 7:30 doing set up and will start shooting at 0800 per club rules. I still have to do the round data entry in the RSI Ballistic software so I can enter my target data and chrono. data for a file to keep. Hmmm two whole days DARN! Maybe if the ISO auditors finish with me I can slip out early and......

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.