Berger 180 gr VLD not looking good in the Sendero

Nimrodmar10

It doesn't look like the 1 in 9.5 twist in the 7mm RUM Rem. Sendero is going to stabilize the Berger 180 gr VLD. I've run it from 2900 to 3200 fps wtith 4 differen powders and haven't seen a group much better than 1.5 inches. I had hope but for the 180 but it may not work. Guess i'll try some lighter wei.ght bullets

Mine did not like the 168 bergers but did like 160 accubond and retumbo did not try the 180 bergers but the throat was so deep i couldn't get vary close to it with any bullet.

I consistently get .5 to .75 MOA with 168 and 180g Bergers in my factory Gen I Sendero.

If you haven't already done so, you might want to read the Sticky about tuning Berger loads. Finding the right jump/jam for your rifle can make a difference.

-- richard

Richard
The throat is so long in my rifle that i can't get near the rifling with the 180 gr. VLD. The bullet would have to be seated outside the neck to reach so i seated it to just barely fit the magazine. I'm disappointed since the Rem. 700 300 WM I've been shooting would let me touch the lands and still fit the magazine.

Last edited:
That's a little different issue from "stabilizing".

But, I see what you're saying. ...although, I can't quite fathom the throat being so long that you can't touch the lands without enough neck to hold the bullet.

If you could do that and it just won't feed from the magazine, then I'd suggest you simply try loading some as a single shot just to see if you could get an accurate load.

The good news is that Bergers aren't the only good 7mm bullets.

Have you tried any other bullets?

-- richard

No I started with the 180 VLDs hoping to use them. I've got some Noslers loaded that I will try today. I intend to get some of the 168 VLDs next to try. The Noslers I happened to have on hand. What powder are you using with your rifle?

Richard
The throat is so long in my rifle that i can't get near the rifling with the 180 gr. VLD. The bullet would have to be seated outside the neck to reach so i seated it to just barely fit the magazine. I'm disappointed since the Rem. 700 7 RM I've been shooting would let me touch the lands.

Try sinking them .080-.120" deep. It sounds deep, but may be just work out for you.

Tank

It didn't like the 175 or 150 gr. Nosler Partitions either. I'm not really surprised since I've never found the Partitions to be vety accurate in anything I've loaded them in.
I also loaded some Speer 160 gr. Boattails with 86 grs. of H4831SC. They shot about an inch which is about as good as I've done so far. Picking up more bullets tomorrow. Any suggestion?

It didn't like the 175 or 150 gr. Nosler Partitions either. I'm not really surprised since I've never found the Partitions to be vety accurate in anything I've loaded them in.
I also loaded some Speer 160 gr. Boattails with 86 grs. of H4831SC. They shot about an inch which is about as good as I've done so far. Picking up more bullets tomorrow. Any suggestion?

Try seating them deeper like I suggested. Accuracy have been found with seating depths of .080" to .120" off the lands.

Tank

Richard
The throat is so long in my rifle that i can't get near the rifling with the 180 gr. VLD. The bullet would have to be seated outside the neck to reach so i seated it to just barely fit the magazine. I'm disappointed since the Rem. 700 7 RM I've been shooting would let me touch the lands.
That's how the high pressure the UMs generate is controlled, free-bore/throat.

It may not be a stabilization issue. I am currently working up a load of 168g Bergers in my Savage. I am finding thus far that they seem to like being really close to the rifling in my gun. You might want to play with the seating depth before giving up. I have been following the suggestions as noted in the "getting the most accuracy from Bergers" article mentioned earlier. I have found that after shooting half of my loaded rounds (four different depths) that the longest jump of .12" shot the worst at about 3" at 100yds. The closest to the lands shot the best with a group size of 1". I maybe pulled one of the shots on that group that made it one inch, the other two holes were cutting each other. So there is a definite difference in how they shoot in regards to the seating depth.

Tank
I know what you're saying and I wish I could seat the bullets deaper and be .80-.120 off the lands. Unfortunately, by my measurements, with the bullet .120" off the lands it would not have enough bullet in the neck to hold it in place. Any other suggestions?

Tank
I know what you're saying and I wish I could seat the bullets deaper and be .80-.120 off the lands. Unfortunately, by my measurements, with the bullet .120" off the lands it would not have enough bullet in the neck to hold it in place. Any other suggestions?

What do you mean? Do you have a really short throat?

Tank

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.