berger 168 vld hunting bullets.

The SST experience I have mentioned is when my Air Force buddy shot his first and only antelope buck in TX with his 308 and factory Hornady SST ammo. Shot the buck at 234 yards and blew off the skin and meat right down to the shoulder blade. I posted pics of it here in the forums a few times. When we walked up to the buck it was walking away, sort of stunned. Pete shot it a second time at about 15 yards. Buck went to a crawl. Shots 3 and 4 next. Buck kept crawling into a ditch. Finally shot 5 at 3 feet and it died. Pete didn't know what to think. I told him never use another SST bullet as long as he lives and he likely won't have to relive his horrible experience.

Freedom2live, just a thought, but I have posted in the past my horrible experience with the SST bullet on antelope. So, like you, with that one personal experience where the buck had to be shot around 5 times to die, I will never ever use a Hornady SST bullet. In my book, they re-define "garbage bullets." Evidently, you have had success. I'd stick to those or nosler Btips if I were you. Maybe consider the ABs or Scirocco bullets.

This really sucks I just bought two boxes of sst 154 gr 7mm and was finishing reloads. Anyway coyotes are in so I ll use them

Your using target vlds ?

For my purpose yes. For discussion on what works and what doesn't work considering Berger bullets one has to weigh the advantages to disadvantages.....I don't blame the bullet when animals run off, because the bullet selection is mine and I'm responsible to apply what is reasonable at the time.

I see no fault with your bullet selection. It just happened that particular bullet didn't do what you thought it would do in less than 90 yards! That's life, ummm I mean hunting.

I'm not sure what your intent was with this thread. It's unfortunate you had to track a deer for 90 yards, likewise I'm not too certain that will be the case with every circumstance.

5 times to bring down antelope, that's nuts. That picture looks like grenade went off.

Quetion should I clean meglet, make hollow a bit more ?

Meplat? Up to you. I don't worry about those things. That's the bullet manufacturer's job. If I buy a box of "hunting" bullets, I don't think I should have to do anything to them except load them and kill animals with them. If I have to do extra work like that I'm not interested.

Language comment

Hey guys.

I'd appreciate some help.

I don't consider words like "****" or "******" to be appropriate for use right here in "Len's Living Room".

I removed a bunch but there were too many.

Please don't use that language. That would make our site too much like just any other one out there.

Thanks so much for your help.

Re: Language comment

Hey guys.

I'd appreciate some help.

I don't consider words like "****" or "******" to be appropriate for use right here in "Len's Living Room".

I removed a bunch but there were too many.

Please don't use that language. That would make our site too much like just any other one out there.

Thanks so much for your help.

Wondering, since when is the word garbage bad Len ? . Have to ask

"garbage"

To me that word used in the title of a thread toward a revered manufacturer just exhibits a bad attitude and no respect.

And it's unproductively inflammatory.

I sense that a few of those who replied would agree with me.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.