Berger 168 Hybrid hunting results

bigtoy302

Last week I finally had the chance to test out the Berger 168 Hybrid target bullets on big game. I know these are target bullets and Berger says not for hunting, But at high velocities I though it would be fine.

300WSM
168 Berger Hybrid .015 off lands
68 Grains RL17
GM215M primer
3380 FPS
.375" 4 shot group @100 yards.

The elk was standing broadside @60 yards. Bullet entered through the scapula missing the leg bone and went into the lungs. No exit wound. The bullet exploded after impact. It made about a 5" hole through the shoulder and ribcage and into the lungs. I only found pieces of the jacket and could not find the core. The elk only ran about 30 yards.

I guess the bullet did its job, but I would prefer to have the bullet stay intact. I am guessing the bullet exploded because of the close range and high velocity.

IMG_1176800x600.jpg

Thanks for the report and nice job on your bull. We have taken 3 elk so far this year with the 300 win and Berger Hybrids, 13 animals total. I think you would be much happier with a heavier bullet choice for your 300. I am using the 215 Hybrid at 3050 fps. The close range bullets have not exited but all animals were DRT. Once I got past 500 yards the bullets held together better for a nice exit of about 1 1/4". We have 6 kills past 600 yards, 4 past 800, even the longest shot at 1285 yards made a great exit that showed nice expansion. I feel these are great long range bullets, but you get more expansion than desired at close range especially with small high velocity choices. Just a suggestion, but you may want to try the 210 or 215's. If you want less expansion I feel the 210 HVLD would give it to you up close. It has a slightly thinner jacket, but a much smaller hollow point cavity.

Congrats on your bull and thanks for sharing your story.

Jeff

Hey BigToy, forgot to ask. What did the heart and longs look like in that ole boy? I am betting they were all damaged along with a arteries to the heart?

Jeff

Hey BigToy, forgot to ask. What did the heart and longs look like in that ole boy? I am betting they were all damaged along with a arteries to the heart?

Jeff

I just missed the heart. The left lung was turned to mush, the right was fine.

I wanted to go to heavier bullets but I could not find any at the time. Maybe I will try some 200 or 210's next.

Broz is right about the heavier Bergers. Your WSM will come to life. Contrary to what many gunwriters would have you believe, heavy bullets are right at home in the short WSM case. I fire the 210 and 230 OTM at very respectable velocities out of my WSM.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts