Berger 140 Elite hunters vs Hornady 143 ELD-X

odoylerules

I'm gonna start load development with both of these bullets in my newly acquired 6.5 SAUM. I'm interested in performance on game. Obviously if the gun loves one bullet over the other, it will heavily weigh into things. But accuracy being equal is what I'm interested in.
I've read comparisons with the Berger VLD's, where some got inconsistencies with terminal ballistics. I'm specifically interested in the Elite Hunters vs the ELD-X's.
Thanks

I haven't used the Berger but was able to use the ELD-X. Shot an antelope last year with them out of a 6.5-300. At 150 yards and slightly angled, the bullet went in cut the lungs in half and exited leaving somewhere between a golf ball and baseball sized hole. The antelope took about two steps and fell over.

I have killed several deer and exotics in Texas with the Berger 140 Elite Hunters and never lost an animal. Yes they will tear up meat if you hit them in the shoulder, etc. but I only takes shots to the boiler room so have never had that problem. Never tried the Hornady's only because they did not shoot as well from my gun. Every gun is different so yours may very well shoot the ELD-X just as well or better than the Bergers. At least the Hornadys are available:)

I can attest to the blow up/meat loss for the Berger EH. Shot a 110 lb or so hog from about 120 yards. It was quartering to and I put it just behind the ear and DRT. I thought it was a brain scramble but there was no exit. When we dressed it the right shoulder was blown up so it must have traveled down the spine hit the shoulder and did it's thing.

Good news is it's very accurate at .75 MOA out to 500 which is the furthest I've had a chance to run it.

I've read comparisons with the Berger VLD's, where some got inconsistencies with terminal ballistics.

With the Bergers, it is a good idea to use a small safety pin of very small drill bit and verify that the hollow point is not filled in or closed up. I find that about a third of them usually are. Some of them I can clean and open up. Others I cannot. I use the cannots for target. Theory is the ones filled up with polishing compound don't consistently expand and tend to pincel thru game. Lots of folks do this.

With the Bergers, it is a good idea to use a small safety pin of very small drill bit and verify that the hollow point is not filled in or closed up. I find that about a third of them usually are. Some of them I can clean and open up. Others I cannot. I use the cannots for target. Theory is the ones filled up with polishing compound don't consistently expand and tend to pincel thru game. Lots of folks do this.
This is why I use eldx line

I use the 143s out of my Creed for coyotes. Devastating to them. Haven't tried on deer since I've had a .300wm, but I'm currently building a 6.5-284 pack rifle for deer and I will be using the eldx out of it.

This is with the eldx. I couldn't find the picture of the exit cavity but cool to show anyways. Use them on Chucks as well. Shoots them straight up in the air! Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20161224_114543.jpg
    IMG_20161224_114543.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 499
My 6.5x284 likes the 140g Berger VLDs and Elites better than the 143 ELD-X, but my 6.5 Creed likes the ELD-X better. I have not liked the Berger Elites nearly as much as the VLDs. I have shot the VLDs for years and never had a white tail, mule deer or elk take more than a step. Last year I loaded the Elites. The Elites have required second kills shots on two deer, one at 500 and the other at 180. Another at 300 went down in his tracks but did not die instantly.

The 143g ELD-X out of the Creedmoor let the two I shot run a few yards, but not as far as the old Hornady Interlocks.

Amazingly, my 6.5 Creedmoor stock Savage Axis will shoot sub moa and within an inch at 600 yards of my 6.5x284 110 Savage 110 heavy sporter barrel beded in a custom stock. Both have triggers worked and the latter a Nightforce. My advice is to buy a cheap Savage Axis 6.5 Creed, put a Sightron III 56mm bell, push 143g ELD-X into lands with Superperformance powder.

I'm gonna start load development with both of these bullets in my newly acquired 6.5 SAUM. I'm interested in performance on game. Obviously if the gun loves one bullet over the other, it will heavily weigh into things. But accuracy being equal is what I'm interested in.
I've read comparisons with the Berger VLD's, where some got inconsistencies with terminal ballistics. I'm specifically interested in the Elite Hunters vs the ELD-X's.
Thanks
I'd take the ELD-X all day long over the Berger.

Have only shot two pronghorn with the 143 ELD-X (out of a 260 Remington). One at 140 yds and one around 160–velocity approximately 2380 FPS (these are loaded very light so my son can shoot this rifle comfortably). Both resulted in very quick kills. Exits 2-3 inches diameter.

EDIT: I shot one and friend shot other

Last edited: