BergaraHMR

Wow Moose I sure hope you get your rifle shooting good. I have the same rifle in 6.5 CM and I am totally pleased with it I have a Mueller 8-32X scope on it. My last outing I was shooting at 200 yards and put 4 rounds into a .392" group and then my 5th shot opened it up to .75". Even with the "flyer" that boils down to a about a .4 MOA rifle. And I did nothing to this rifle. Mind you now, although it shot almost everything well, it took about 3 months and several outings with it to find the load it really liked. The only factory ammo I shot out of it was Winchester 125 gr that was IMO junk. I just got it for the brass anyway and to break in the barrel. I'm using that ammo as fouling shots every time I go to the range until I get rid of it.

I'm loading for a friends hmr 300wm. All the factory loads where about 1-2" groups. After about 80 rds it improved some. Now shooting hand loads it's shooting tight. Threw a cheap brake on it and it helped a bit too

210gr vlds, 76.4gr h1000, nosler brass, cci 250's
Work up
A5FD6F84-62DB-44C3-B0E0-922FCEF9C940.jpeg
45720D75-16AB-438A-B650-8466348E55C6.jpeg

4shot group then dialed back down to confirm zero

I've run into quite a few rifles that were picky about loads and overall poor accuracy.A lot of the time it ended up being the stock or bedding.Sometimes it's really hard to find what the exact problem is.I had an old Remington 700 30-06.I couldn't get it to shoot worth a darn.The stock was all original,hadn't been bedded,but everything seemed to be perfect.I put the barreled action in a stock that I had bedded for another rifle and that thing shot four shots in the same hole.So it was the stock.I recently had been trying to get a couple of Sako a7 rifles to shoot better.I bedded the lugs and tangs on both rifles.About the best they ever shot was about an inch,but most of the time it was more like an 1.5 inches.The barrels were floated on both rifles,so one day at the range I decided to see if they shot any better if the barrel was supported.I folded some paper and slid it under the barrel.I went the whole length of the barrel channel.Both rifles instantly became tack drivers!I contacted Beretta and they offered to send me a replacement stock for one of them the other didn't have a replacement.The one they sent me Had the full length metal bedding block.What I had figured out with these two rifles was,both stocks were composite,no metal bedding block,just metal inserts where the action bolts down.Both these stocks have detachable magazines.Where the stock was inleted for the latch that locks in the magazine,weakened the stock behind the recoil lug.So what was happening when the rifle was fired the action was flexing.By supporting the barrel It was not allowing it to flex.The new stock fixed the problem,the other rifle I did a support bedding and it shoots great now too.They will shot about half an inch with anything I've tried so I'm good with that.So what I've learned is sometimes little things can make a huge difference.Some rifles are easy and shoot well,then some are a real pain to figure out just were the problem really is.

Please do, I am having the same issue. I see the last post was 9-16-2020. I purchased a HMR in 300 win mag in 12/2022. 1.5-2.0 inch groups are the best I've gotten so far. Tired of buying match grade ammo trying to proof the guarantee on the rifle. After this next round I'm calling Bergara or trading!

Hornady ELD-M on left, Black Hills on the right.

Attachments

• 93F0043C-722D-47D0-B750-1043365539CA.jpeg
    93F0043C-722D-47D0-B750-1043365539CA.jpeg
    921.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 6924EE86-4CC4-4CBC-86D5-C37BC3893C08.jpeg
    6924EE86-4CC4-4CBC-86D5-C37BC3893C08.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 12
Please do, I am having the same issue. I see the last post was 9-16-2020. I purchased a HMR in 300 win mag in 12/2022. 1.5-2.0 inch groups are the best I've gotten so far. Tired of buying match grade ammo trying to proof the guarantee on the rifle. After this next round I'm calling Bergara or trading!

Try bedding the recoil lug like in this video. I used JB Weld to bed the lug of my HMR 6.5 PRC and it tightened groups up. Also shoot the heck out of it.

BTW this video is in Spanish but you'll get the gist.

I had something similar happen with mine. I ended up finding the root of the problem was that the action screws were torqued in the wrong sequence. I removed the stock then tightened the front screw first, then rear and it was a shooter again. I don't know if that will fix it but it worked for mine.

I had something similar happen with mine. I ended up finding the root of the problem was that the action screws were torqued in the wrong sequence. I removed the stock then tightened the front screw first, then rear and it was a shooter again. I don't know if that will fix it but it worked for mine.
Thanks guys. Re-torqued, no better. Going to attempt the bedding tomorrow highlighted in RE Lee's video. Will see if that helps. Side note: When I removed action/barrel to re-torque in sequence I noticed lateral and horizontal play in the stock bed. Hope this bedding solves my issue. Would really like for it to shoot like this one:

Any scope manf can have issues. I have read a couple of reports of people having issues with Leupold's. Be sure and try that rifle with a known good scope. See what the bedding does and the swap out the scope. Good luck.
Bruce