Bergara

I disagree with those that say a 6.5 is not enough for elk. I have been an elk outfitter in BC for >10 years and have killed a bunch myself. I now only carry a 6.5 with me - shooting 120 grain barnes TTX bullets. I am a firm believer that the low recoil makes a person a much better and consistent shooter. I had clients that were supposed to be great shooters carry 7mm 300 and 340 magnums and had to chase wounded elk all over the mountains. I also believe that all bullets are not created equal when it comes to the damage they do internally and have been very happy with the barnes.

I disagree with those that say a 6.5 is not enough for elk. I have been an elk outfitter in BC for >10 years and have killed a bunch myself. I now only carry a 6.5 with me - shooting 120 grain barnes TTX bullets. I am a firm believer that the low recoil makes a person a much better and consistent shooter. I had clients that were supposed to be great shooters carry 7mm 300 and 340 magnums and had to chase wounded elk all over the mountains. I also believe that all bullets are not created equal when it comes to the damage they do internally and have been very happy with the barnes.

I would love to get a 6.5 but for now , I will have to stick to my .308, I am thinking of upgrading the barrel as the thin stock barrels on the Ruger American's heat up pretty quickly which throw my groups all over the place.....even when i let it cool a bit.....the first shot is usually the best, but would be nice to be able to have a follow up shot if necessary......That & some good quality ammo should go a long way....I was thinking maybe a Shilen or Bergara, any other suggestions would be appreciated. I have heard good things about the Barnes TTX bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts