Bergara

James K.

I came across a used Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoore at my local gun store the other day,
I have done a little research & have heard both great things & not so great things about this gun, from one extreme to the opposite. I would like to hunt elk one day, my main question is :
Is this caliber enough for elk?
I have a Ruger American in .308, & recently put it in an MDT Chassis, but have not dialed it in at the range yet.....Should i stick with that for elk or trade in my Ruger for the more accurate 6.5.....
also, the used Bergara is only $799 with no glass., they usually go for $1150.
Any thoughts / suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks so much.

Can of worms!lol

Get the 6.5 but also keep the .308 for elk. The Bergara is a great rifle though. Don't own one but have played with a few at the range.

There are several discussions on here about suitable calibers for elk. The search function will lead you to them. The CM will kill elk without a doubt. Is it ideal? Almost never. If you talk to Broz, who has seen/helped kill over 100 elk/yr, he suggests a .30 caliber or bigger. I have killed or been in on killing over 100 elk in my lifetime. Some with a .270 with 150 gr bullets. To me that is about the bottom of where I'm comfortable. There are a whole lot of variables that determine what may be best for you. YMMV.
Bruce

I have a Bergara Ridge and its a great rifle. I bought it in 6.5 Creed and like mentioned above you can kill elk no problem, but ideal I would say no. I have also shot the HMR Bergara and really liked it for a varmint or bench gun. I like the magazine to be flush with the rifle stock for hunting rifles.
If you're looking for an elk hunting rifle I would suggest something with more downrange energy than a .308 win or a 6.5 Creedmoor. There are some cartridges in .284 that would work, a few .264 cartridges and plenty of .308 cartridges that would work. I prefer the .284 chamberings and use either a 28 Nosler or a 280 AI for elk. Good luck!

I have the hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. I love it. Very accurate with every load I have tried. It is a little heavy for me to chase elk with it. If I was to hunt elk with it I would limit my shots to 200 yards. However, I wouldn't hunt elk with it. I'd use my 300.

Thanks so much for your comments, they are insightful & very helpful.
i have heard from some other hunter friends & it seems like from what they say & what you guys are confirming here is that i should hang on to my .308 for elk & maybe save the 6.5 for something else. i would still love to get that Bergara, assuming its in good shape, it just looks so cool & its a good price too.....Will keep you posted. Thanks again for your guys help. :)

I own a B14 HMR in 6.5CM 24" barrel and among many its the only one I haven't tinkered. Just cut a couple of spirals from the ejector spring and reduced the trigger weight to the minimum. A pleasure to shot LR with it. 140, 143 and 147 hornady.
For the price and if its in a good shape...
For elk go for a 30. 300wm if you plan shooting above 200 yards. My 2 cents

Thanks so much for your comments, they are insightful & very helpful.
i have heard from some other hunter friends & it seems like from what they say & what you guys are confirming here is that i should hang on to my .308 for elk & maybe save the 6.5 for something else. i would still love to get that Bergara, assuming its in good shape, it just looks so cool & its a good price too.....Will keep you posted. Thanks again for your guys help. :)
Elk are pretty tough customer and I would use a .30 caliber with a 180 or larger ! I use a 300 wsm with 180 and 200 and seems to work fine !

Here is my Ruger American .308 in the MDT LSS Chassis, I'm sure it has way more capability than i do. I have the Nikon M223 3-12x42 600 BDC on top. I know , the M308 is better suited, but this will work for now. Now all i gotta do is get out there & practice.

Attachments

• IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 238
Good looking rig James! Don't overlook the P308 with the 30mm tube either. Great scope for the money and obviously pairs nicely with the 308. Had one on an RPR for awhile...

There are several discussions on here about suitable calibers for elk. The search function will lead you to them. The CM will kill elk without a doubt. Is it ideal? Almost never. If you talk to Broz, who has seen/helped kill over 100 elk/yr, he suggests a .30 caliber or bigger. I have killed or been in on killing over 100 elk in my lifetime. Some with a .270 with 150 gr bullets. To me that is about the bottom of where I'm comfortable. There are a whole lot of variables that determine what may be best for you. YMMV.
Bruce
A sportsman wants to dispatch an animal as quickly as possible. I have seen two elk lost that were shot with 257 wby. 300wm or larger for elk and don't try a1000 yd shot. Buy yourself a good gun an a better scope, zero it, store it in a vertical gun rack, not behind your bedroom door. Right before hunting season, recheck your zero ho hunting. Ne shot one kill.

I have the hmr in 6.5 creedmoor. I love it. Very accurate with every load I have tried. It is a little heavy for me to chase elk with it. If I was to hunt elk with it I would limit my shots to 200 yards. However, I wouldn't hunt elk with it. I'd use my 300.

I 100% agree with this statement. My 6.5 HMR shoots lights out. In fact, it shoots better than my Rem 700 7mm rm that sits in a manners eh6. But one, its a little heavy to be lugging around the mountains and two, I would rather have my 7mm rm when it comes to elk.

Bring more gun for an elk. Yeah, it'll almost certainly die from the wound if you shoot it with a 6.5CM or a .308win, the question is will it run 5 miles first and not leave a speck of blood on the ground. My experience with really big game like that is, you're going to have a tough time bringing too much gun but it's easy as pie to bring too little.

EDIT: the several bergara b14's I've seen/shot/characterized have been nothing but good where I've seen them which has been either in training classes or in competitions. They all seem to like retail match ammo from hornady so far.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts