Bergara Wilderness Ridge or Savage 110 High Country

Bergara is hard to beat, their people have first hand knowledge and produce an outstanding product. Without a doubt what ever you get from them will shoot under an inch. Plus great customer service. This alone is worth alot.

I always here people talking about recoil, I don't know why people are not using muzzle brakes to mitigate the recoil. I have a 28Nosler with a muzzle brake, it kicks like a 270 Win. or less. I have a stepson with a Winchester 300 Win Mag, that thing kicks like a demonic mule, I don't know why he doesn't change the barrel and put a brake on it.. Anymore, I will not go without one that has a cartridge that kicks the snout out of you.
The only reason I dislike muzzle brakes is due to the increased volume and blasts produced.
Very rarely am I a bench rest hunter and more often than not, they're quick shots made offhand inside 400 yards. I forgot to put in my earplugs once a few years ago in all the excitement of the hunt. My ears rang for three long days after that mistake. Ever since then, I refuse to hunt with a braked rifle. Off the bench is not an issue, but in the field… no thanks. Oddly enough, I've never noticed the recoil when the fur starts flying.

I'm stuck between the Bergara Ridge and the Savage 110 High Country, Chambered in 300 win mag (I am kind of considering 6.5 PRC but have already picked up several boxes of 300 win mag), I am stationed in Fairbanks Alaska so it would be used for Caribou, Moose and Bear. I perviously had a Bergara Ridge in 30-06 but could not get it to hold groups so I sent it to Bergara this past March and they were still trying to work the accuracy issue out with it as of today (has been hard for them to get ammo to shoot it) they said the best they could get it to group was 1.5" so they offered a refund and I took it due to Caribou season opening August 10th I gotta get a good LR rifle in my hands. My budget is right around $1200 so I looked at the Christensen Mesa but have heard some horror stories. All in-put is welcome because I am just starting to get my feet wet in long range hunting ( Alaska hunting is way diffrent then Kentucky) The scope that will be on the rifle is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 BDC reticle
From one veteran to the next, thanks for your service to the greatest nation in the world. We all have different perspectives, personal preferences, and personal experiences.

Between the two, "my" personal preference is a Savage. Savage rifles' out-of-the-box accuracy and DIY friendliness are hard to beat. I have quite a few Savage rifles/Savage action builds.

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Ed

From one veteran to the next, thanks for your service to the greatest nation in the world. We all have different perspectives, personal preferences, and personal experiences.

Between the two, "my" personal preference is a Savage. Savage rifles' out-of-the-box accuracy and DIY friendliness are hard to beat. I have quite a few Savage rifles/Savage action builds.

Ed
You may be Tied for Greatest Nation...but if not your a darned good Second to CANADA!...

There have been a lot of answers to your questions in this thread but no one has brought up the limitations of the platforms. It seems that some of the posters are not exactly doing you a service with their answers. I don't pretend to have all the answers but I hope I can give you some things to think about and help you with your decisions.
As far as the Bergara, I don't have experience with them but you do.

Tikka: You said you wanted a 300 WM. Unless something has changed, and it has with their twist rates going to 1:10 so maybe it has, their mag box length is very short as they did not make a true long action last time I checked. You are really limiting yourself to short bullets or really jamming the long bullets back into the case...If you are thinking about going with a short action cartridge Tikka is a great answer though. 300WSM....go for it.

Savage High Country: I was about to get one of these, but while doing the research I found that the OAL length is again limited. Not near as much as the Tikka but still limited, and with the bottom bolt release it may be harder to find magazine boxes to extend that. I will say that barrel changes are awesome and of the choices I would probably take this, if you are getting the WM. There are other Savages as well that you could look at, like the 110 Tactical. I believe it takes AICS mags at 3.850.

Browning: If you are the kind of guy who goes out and shoots 20rnds a year they are good to go. I have had multiple Browning rifles and they are very nice. I would not buy another one. I basically think that they are a throw away rifle, as unless you are friends with a gunsmith or can do it yourself with your own lathe etc the barrel replacement process is prohibitive. You might as well buy a new rifle, and finding a gunsmith to even work on them is a pain in the ***. My Brownings now sit in the safe doing nothing. A 300WM will eat a barrel in around 1200 to 1600rnds. Do the math and see how many years that will last you. That's why I said what I did in the first sentence.

If you can, I would save up and spend the money on a custom action that you can put prefit barrels on yourself. My last rifle is a Zermatt Arms Origin. I can switch bolt heads and barrels easily. Just some things to think about.

Ed
Hey Ed! Thanks for the reply! & thank you for your service as well brother! 🇺🇸

Old thread but thought I'd throw my 2 cents in. I was down to the bergara wilderness ridge, tikka 3x superlite and the Savage High Country. Love the smooth action of the Tikka, loved the action and the cerakote of the bergara, but I went with the High Country. It just gave me more. Stainless action and barrel, PVD coating, accutrigger, stock that can be adjusted for lop and comb height, Strata camo stock that goes well with the color of the coating, aluminum bedding, great muzzle brake, also having a beautiful spiral fluted bolt and barrel. With the ammo crunch I've only shot two factory loads. Nosler 150 and Norma Whitetail 150. Both sub moa with the Nosler probably sub 3/4". But my 7mm Rem Mag weighs 8.5lbs without a scope. I personally don't mind that but some do. The bolt has a floating head which makes the bolt feel sloppy when it's all the way back, but it runs smooth enough even when I'm pushing it. I'm a Remington 700 guy, but this Savage is top notch.The High Country just gave me so much bang for the buck, I'm happy I went with it.

I will say I'm very happy with my Bergara Ridge. It's received quite a few upgrades, but it's still a factory barrel and is definitely proving to be a shooter with the 117gr Hammer Hunters and 6.5 Staball.

Attachments

• FEE62E7A-BB04-4388-8A11-FC17F08E9A35.jpeg
    FEE62E7A-BB04-4388-8A11-FC17F08E9A35.jpeg
    879.4 KB · Views: 62