Bergara Wilderness Ridge or Savage 110 High Country

I think if you're gonna be hunting caribou and moose with a mixture of black bear you could go with a 270 wsm, 270 Wby, 6.8 Western or 7 mag and be just fine. If those bears you mentioned are grizz or you will be hunting in grizz territory I'd most definitely get the 300 WM. Since you're leaning towards a lighter weight rifle, dropping down in caliber can alleviate recoil. I like the 300 wm or 35 Whelen in a 9 lb rifle. Not the most packable rifle but it won't kick your *** like a mule either. 6.5 anything is really hard to find ammo for right now so keep that in mind.
I think if you're gonna be hunting caribou and moose with a mixture of black bear you could go with a 270 wsm, 270 Wby, 6.8 Western or 7 mag and be just fine. If those bears you mentioned are grizz or you will be hunting in grizz territory I'd most definitely get the 300 WM. Since you're leaning towards a lighter weight rifle, dropping down in caliber can alleviate recoil. I like the 300 wm or 35 Whelen in a 9 lb rifle. Not the most packable rifle but it won't kick your *** like a mule either. 6.5 anything is really hard to find ammo for right now so keep that in mind.
I'll def need the 300 win mag, The grizzlies up here like to play peak-a-boo and I want to have a big boo waiting for them

I always here people talking about recoil, I don't know why people are not using muzzle brakes to mitigate the recoil. I have a 28Nosler with a muzzle brake, it kicks like a 270 Win. or less. I have a stepson with a Winchester 300 Win Mag, that thing kicks like a demonic mule, I don't know why he doesn't change the barrel and put a brake on it.. Anymore, I will not go without one that has a cartridge that kicks the snout out of you.
There are some **** good brakes out there these days too ! Patriot valley arms brakes are absolutely incredible. Turned my 338 wsm recoil into a 308. I think a lot of people don't invest in a good enough brake. After owning this PVA vs the pepper pot style, I'll never go back to a radial style brake again.

I have had several Savages. All of them were shooters, but all of them were copper mines.

I guess I got lucky with my two Bergaras. Both have been awesome. B14 HMR .22-250 at 402 yards, B14 Ridge 7mm RM at 905.
2BF79387-D9F8-45F5-A727-ACF730668331.jpeg
6ABCF64C-197C-46E4-9300-D6100040B81D.jpeg

Here is a 3/8" 3 shot group out of my Savage high country that I just bought. 7mm rem mag.
On top of that is another 3 shot group that went 11/16". Both groups combined shot on two different days puts 6 shots in 15/16". These are the first hand loads I loaded up. No powder testing no depth testing.
FFD70599-FB4D-48BB-8E26-7497D5BB0ABF.jpeg

Here is a 3/4" group out of my wife's new Savage high Country in 30-06. Again these are first three hand loads out of it.
CA5CDB73-D40B-4E98-8E6C-EADD1875A107.jpeg

I'm stuck between the Bergara Ridge and the Savage 110 High Country, Chambered in 300 win mag (I am kind of considering 6.5 PRC but have already picked up several boxes of 300 win mag), I am stationed in Fairbanks Alaska so it would be used for Caribou, Moose and Bear. I perviously had a Bergara Ridge in 30-06 but could not get it to hold groups so I sent it to Bergara this past March and they were still trying to work the accuracy issue out with it as of today (has been hard for them to get ammo to shoot it) they said the best they could get it to group was 1.5" so they offered a refund and I took it due to Caribou season opening August 10th I gotta get a good LR rifle in my hands. My budget is right around $1200 so I looked at the Christensen Mesa but have heard some horror stories. All in-put is welcome because I am just starting to get my feet wet in long range hunting ( Alaska hunting is way diffrent then Kentucky) The scope that will be on the rifle is a Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44 BDC reticle
Weatherby in a Vanguard....! The new Vanguards have a lot to offer...check out the weatherby site....they are within your budget!

Last edited:
Weatherby in a Vanguard....! The new Vanguards have a lot to offer...check out the weatherby site....they are within your budget!
Right on with Vanguard and 300 win mag. Great Alaska cartridge. Weatherby guarantees sub moa groups. I have a 6.5x300 on the way. Plus they come with a brake.

Yeah I think after two lemons I would have settled my mind to, it's unfortunate, Only reason I'm considering another Bergara is because the customer service is pretty decent, but the High Country has really got my attention, but I really just want something that'll be 1 MOA or less at 100 yards and Savage doesn't have the guarantee, I called them yesterday and they said factory standards are 1" 5 shot group at 100 yards, just a lot of money to get another rifle that shoots 3" groups at 100 yards haha
rjriflehunter: I don't know why folks keep paying well over $1,200 for rifles that shoot 3/4 MOA and they are happy with it.
Especially when Sauer & Sohn 100 is made in almost any stock configuration anyone could want and every price level from above your budget to well below your budget.

Mauser also makes a less expensive rifle with synthetic stock with the same barrel/action and unique bedding as the Sauer 100.

These Sauer 100/Mauser M18 rifles all outshoot most of the rifles mentioned. I have three of them now. All way sub-MOA at various ranges. Two of them are consistently below 1/4 MOA at 200 and 300 yards.

Right on with Vanguard and 300 win mag. Great Alaska cartridge. Weatherby guarantees sub moa groups. I have a 6.5x300 on the way. Plus they come with a brake.
They have really come a long way in the past 2 years with these Vanguard's! I have several Mark V's but bought my 3 sons Vanguard's to get them started in 300 Weatherby....all under 1 moa shooters....You will love your choice I'm sure!