Bergara rebarrel to 6.5x284 norma

Sounds like you are doing an awful lot of work on a not so old rifle? new barrel, new stock, new caliber... I'd want Bergara to work out the kinks in my newish rifle. Then go buy yourself a 6.5-284 in another brand rifle that fits your wife. just My 2 cents

Have you tried 168 Barnes TTSX with H4350 in the .30'06 barrel????
it's magical MOST of the time....
56-57 grains....usually hit sweet spot at 56.5 Grains...
If you're planning to rebarrel, I'm with those who suggest .280 AI.
The 65284 is a fine cartridge but somewhat limited to practical bullet weights in the 140-143 grain range max.
I currently have 2 280 AI's that are true tack drivers. One with 145 LRX bullets & other with 160 Accubonds
I think the Barnes TTSX is a much better hunting bullet than the TSX, expands much faster. In my 06 I load 50.5 gr of 4064 behind 150gr of TTSX and get about 2890fps out of 22" barrel and shoots sub MOA.

FWIW, I would NOT flute it, just go with a lighter contour; medium Palmas are great and offer excellent balance. Just converted an older M70 long action to one and used a Boyds At One with a DBM set set up. Sweet handling gun.

Sorry guys, I am used to 17 lb guns, (Light Gun BR class) so when I hear a contour is "heavy", I go to a Palma which is only 5 something lbs. To me those are light. But the #3 Bartlein, I see is about 3.5, so ... In the words of Roseanne Rosannadana,
never mind....

Last edited:
Couple things...i think the 6.5x284 Norma is a great cartridge. I think the feeding issues are probably coming from people who were attempting to run them in short actions as a 6.5x284 Win. In a long action, it's no problem. As GreyFox said, make sure you get your Norma chambering.

I also agree with the idea of sending this rifle back to Bergara. By the time you do all that work I'd just start with a donor custom action or the like and let your gunsmith build it. I've read a lot of good things about the Gunwerks GRB and what you get for the money. If you go with the R700 footprint you'll have a lot more options at your disposal for stocks.

1424C9FC-E8A9-41FC-8500-99AB23EFA3F3.png
83F45D77-E388-4E65-B3B7-8DFFC12E3A5B.jpeg
What speeds would you think I'd get out of a 22 a 24 and a 26? Trying to keep the weight down a bit. Could also go a bit smaller contour
Running reloader 23 I am getting 2980 right now with good accuracy with reloader 26 I got up to 3100 before I saw pressure signs but the accuracy was not there Also I am running a 26 inch proof research carbon fiber barrelATTACH=full]217023[/ATTACH]
D9EC464C-3525-4947-80BA-F5602DB9C72B.jpeg

The 6.5x284 norma and the 284 win are two of the most efficient cartridges on the planet. I had a 6.5×284 norma built on a nesika action. It was one of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned, big fan of this caliber. It along with the 284 dominated the long range competition world for more than a decade.

As to the idea it is not enough for elk???😯 The European's have been hammering everything on planet earth up to and including elephants with the 6.5×55 for close to 100 years. The 6.5 swed is their 270/3006. The 6.5×284 is an upgrade to the old swed and surpasses the AI version by 50 fps. I have owned all three.

20 years ago I fell in love with the 6.5 swed, not going to lie I am a fan boy and the 6.5×284 is the best of the 6.5's in my opinion. It happened while accompaning a couple guys on a Norwegian Elk hunter, for those who don't know that is a moose on steroids.lol. They both had 6.5 sweds and both got kills. Neither animal took more than a step before they toppled over. They were both shooting 160 gr. SP's @ around 2500 fps, best I remember.

The beauty of the 6.5 is the heavy SD of the bullets. The high SD is why some people don't like shooting a 6.5 for deer. They shoot to much bullet at to close a range and it zips right thru with minimal damage. Hornady's 143 gr. Eldx has a SD of 293 and out of a 26" barrel on a 6.5×284 can be pushed at 2950 fps. It carries more than 1500 ft-lbs out to 550 yards. It should smoke any elk in North America everyday of the week and twice on Sunday.😊

Ballistically speaking from a long range steel target shooting perspective the 6.5×284 will do everything a 300 WM will do out to about 1600 yrds. I have both and when shooting inside 1250 yards I would much rather shoot the 6.5, though I love my 300.

Sounds like you are doing an awful lot of work on a not so old rifle? new barrel, new stock, new caliber... I'd want Bergara to work out the kinks in my newish rifle. Then go buy yourself a 6.5-284 in another brand rifle that fits your wife. just My 2 cents
I already tried that, they replaced the rifle and it still shoots 1.5moa. I sent this one back to the and they sent me a target with a .9" 3 shot group. Problem is that it won't do it consistent.

I am gonna have to say 6.5x284 140 class bullet will smoke any animal in north america including the big bears I have seen it with my own eyes.
26" barrel 1&8 twist with a 147 eldm and retumbo with fed215M in lapua brass, I get a es of 6 and 3008 fps and I have had it hire.
Bill Cayley jr.and GreyFox are correct it is an efficient and amazing round. If you go with a CF barrel go 28-30" and push 156 berger and it is betting the PRC with no problems.

I am gonna have to say 6.5x284 140 class bullet will smoke any animal in north america including the big bears I have seen it with my own eyes.
26" barrel 1&8 twist with a 147 eldm and retumbo with fed215M in lapua brass, I get a es of 6 and 3008 fps and I have had it hire.
Bill Cayley jr.and GreyFox are correct it is an efficient and amazing round. If you go with a CF barrel go 28-30" and push 156 berger and it is betting the PRC with no problems.
I'm running a 26 inch barrel always used 140 burger Vld hunting pills but I'm itching to try the 156s after seeing results from gray fox

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.