Bergara rebarrel to 6.5x284 norma

Joefrazell

Hey all! A few years ago I bought my wife a bergara b14 hunter in 30-06. We've had quite the time trying to get this thing to shoot. They replaced the rifle once for not meeting the accuracy guarantee but the new one seems to be almost as bad. Since then I've really got into shooting long range more and more and shes a pretty good shot with my other rifles. I'd like to rebarrel this bergara and am thinking a good candidate would be the 6.5x284. I believe the norma is the chambering I would want but not too sure on the actual specifics. I do reload and understand it's a reloaders cartridge and I'm ok with that. I'm getting ready to buy the barrel and am thinking a 3b bartlein with some spiral fluting probably 22-24" with a brake. I talked to a local Smith that's very well known for building true shooters and he said the action should be ok and not need trued up. The main function of the rifle will be deer and elk hunting inside 8-900 yards and some long range steel of coarse. I'm thinking the stock will need replaced and that's fine by me as that stock doesn't fit her very well. Now, ive heard of some feeding issues with this cartridge?? Also, is there anything else I should know? Does this build sound about right? I would go prc but that requires a magnum bolt face. Thanks to all!

I think your going to be fine with that caliber and feeding. Run the 140 Berger and let it shine. My only .02 cents would be to run it with a 26 inch barrel to get everything out of it. Just my .02 cents though.
What speeds would you think I'd get out of a 22 a 24 and a 26? Trying to keep the weight down a bit. Could also go a bit smaller contour

I have a straight .284 on a Remington 700 long action and it feeds fine. I would go with at least a 24" barrel. Be aware, the Bartlein 3B is a pretty stout contour. I have a Bartlein #3 and it's about 1.5lbs heavier than the factory Remington Sporter barrel that I replaced. The 3B is even heavier than that. If you want a light heavy barrel, the 3B is good for you then. The #3 is a heavy sporter in my opinion. The Bartlein #2 is closer to the standard barrel on a Bergara or Remington. I would do a #3 fluted or #2 with or without flutes if you're trying to keep it lighter. The difference in barrel length will be about 30fps per inch of barrel. Typical you can run 3000fps with a 140gr in a 26" barrel. So figure 2940 in a 24" and 2880 in a 22" barrel. Those aren't exact figures, but you'll be around those speeds with a 140gr in those barrel lengths.

I do love the 6.5x284 Norma cartridge and my Savage hasn't had any feeding issues, but for a dual purpose elk/deer rifle I think I'd go .280 Ackley with a 24" barrel. I just like the option of shooting the heavier bullets for elk, and can move down in weight for deer. With a good brake, that would be a sweet rig.

If u have had accuracy issues, I would true the action and be done with it. I think the 65 is a good choice

I do love the 6.5x284 Norma cartridge and my Savage hasn't had any feeding issues, but for a dual purpose elk/deer rifle I think I'd go .280 Ackley with a 24" barrel. I just like the option of shooting the heavier bullets for elk, and can move down in weight for deer. With a good brake, that would be a sweet rig.
This is another good option. When I rebarreled my .270 to .284 I was bouncing around between 6.5x284, 280 Ackley, and .284 Win. I ultimately decided to build a .284 Norma Match. It was an off the shelf reamer from Grizzly and it has a long throat for 168-180s. I shoot 175 Berger's in mine around 2830-2840fps. It does awesome. A .280 Ackley will be around the same performance plus 30-50fps or so.

If u have had accuracy issues, I would true the action and be done with it. I think the 65 is a good choice
I will definitely have him check it out before spinning the barrel on. I think the accuracy issue is in the barrel but who knows. The lugs both make good contact

Have you tried 168 Barnes TTSX with H4350 in the .30'06 barrel????
it's magical MOST of the time....
56-57 grains....usually hit sweet spot at 56.5 Grains...
If you're planning to rebarrel, I'm with those who suggest .280 AI.
The 65284 is a fine cartridge but somewhat limited to practical bullet weights in the 140-143 grain range max.
I currently have 2 280 AI's that are true tack drivers. One with 145 LRX bullets & other with 160 Accubonds

Have you tried 168 Barnes TTSX with H4350 in the .30'06 barrel????
it's magical MOST of the time....
56-57 grains....usually hit sweet spot at 56.5 Grains...
If you're planning to rebarrel, I'm with those who suggest .280 AI.
The 65284 is a fine cartridge but somewhat limited to practical bullet weights in the 140-143 grain range max.
I currently have 2 280 AI's that are true tack drivers. One with 145 LRX bullets & other with 160 Accubonds
Yes I have tried the 168's and 180's. I've tried 165 and 150 gmx, 165 interlock, 180 nosler bt, 190 vld, 178 and 200 eldx. Tried with imr4350, h4350, h4831 rl16. Lots of primers too haha

+1 on the Bartlin 3B is heavy barrel contour. I have a Gap non typical hunting rifle with a 26" and a mini bastard break. The barrel is fluted not enough I think. My 300 Winchester Mag has a Bell and Carlson and Leupold vx6 is 10 pounds. If I were you I would look at a 3 instead of the 3B barrel. Also make sure you will always be able to shoot lead or Berger bullets. I had a great Nosler Patriot rifle in 6.5-284 Norma and had to shoot copper bullets and performance suffered. I made a poor shot in a black tail deer in the back quarter near his spine and he never flinched. It was a straight pass through. It was a terrible shot but looked like a pencil hole. With copper bullets I went up to a 280 Ackley because I have to shoot copper ammunition, also for a larger round. If shooting at a elk at 800-900 yards I wouldn't go with a 6.5 anything. Many guys do but I shot my bull elk in the lungs twice at 75 yards and he took it like a champ. Ran 25 yards and then shot again and he fell over. This is just my advice. Good luck with your build.
Jason

+1 on the Bartlin 3B is heavy barrel contour. I have a Gap non typical hunting rifle with a 26" and a mini bastard break. The barrel is fluted not enough I think. My 300 Winchester Mag has a Bell and Carlson and Leupold vx6 is 10 pounds. If I were you I would look at a 3 instead of the 3B barrel. Also make sure you will always be able to shoot lead or Berger bullets. I had a great Nosler Patriot rifle in 6.5-284 Norma and had to shoot copper bullets and performance suffered. I made a poor shot in a black tail deer in the back quarter near his spine and he never flinched. It was a straight pass through. It was a terrible shot but looked like a pencil hole. With copper bullets I went up to a 280 Ackley because I have to shoot copper ammunition, also for a larger round. If shooting at a elk at 800-900 yards I wouldn't go with a 6.5 anything. Many guys do but I shot my bull elk in the lungs twice at 75 yards and he took it like a champ. Ran 25 yards and then shot again and he fell over. This is just my advice. Good luck with your build.
Jason

I do have a 3b on my 300 win mag and it is stout and was thinking the fluting might offset but with your guys advice I think I way go #3 contour and flute it. I'd like to try to keep the rifle around 9-9.5 lbs scoped.

As far as the 6.5 for elk goes I've done alot of research and really feel like that 140-156gr 6.5 bullets around 2900-3000 fps is a good choice for long range. Personally I've killed a bull at 267 yards with a 117 gr interlock out of a 25-06 and get this, the bull just tipped right over. Buddy shot one at 927 with a 143 gr out of 6.5cm. Not saying that's a great idea but it went down after taking a few steps. Also seen bulls soak up great shots with 7 rm and 300 win mags. Elk are elk and they will die when their good and ready is how I see it. I will be there with my win mag and 215's to back her up but I doubt she'll need it. I wanna build her a rifle that recoils like a .243 and deflects wind at longer ranges so she can make good hits.

I have or have had 7 6.5-284's and all feed just fine. Zero issue. If a person has an issue with feeding bend the mag feed lips in the front out a touch to get the bullet pointed toward the chamber. I've have zero issues with MDT mags, savage internal center feed, remington center feed.

The 6.5-284 is a performer for sure and light recoil compared an 06. It's one of those old cartridges that just does a fantastic job in a long action for a wide range of applications. Personnaly I'd go light on the contour and stick to 24-26. I have 1 22, 3 24's, a 26', and 2 28's. Without a suppressor the 28" was my favorite barrel length. 147's at 3015ish with a mild load and accurate. I run a 6.5PRC now in a 22" with a can so I'm still out there 29".

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.