Bergara Premier Highlander vs Christensen Arms Mesa

another great and accurate gun woueld be a weatherby. More $$$ of course. Bottom line, Bergara is the best bang for your buck. I own a 6.5 creedmoor. Outstanding. Kills everything.
The weatherbys are really nice. I did look at the MeatEater edition, that rifle is loaded with features and is relatively cheap

I am looking at getting a 300 win mag for hunting out west and I think I have it narrowed down to the Bergara Premier Highlander and Christensen Arms Mesa. Has anyone shot these 2 rifles or have experience with them? They are similar weight with similar features. BUT, the Begara retails for about $500 more. Is the Begara worth this extra premium? Both companies offer sub-moa guarantee. From what I have seen online, the Begara seems to be a tack driver and groups slightly better then the Mesa.
I'm a huge Weatherby fan....so I would like to throw it out here for you to consider! With the world the way it is today....buy local! Local support!

Only one thought here from me...for what it's worth...Begara is made in Spain and from what I have heard... customer service isn't good...so if you choose it....I would ask the dealer if he is personally going to stand behind the gun....IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS...God forbid!
I'm in a similar boat to the OP and thus researching the Bergara for both a 6.5 CM and a 300 PRC. As I understand it, the Bergara B-14 is mfg'd in Spain but the Bergara Premier/Pro is partially/mostly mfg'd in USA.

I've priced out 5 different options for the CM:
1.1: Tikka donor = $1500 (Donor = $900; Stock = $500; Scope base = $100)
1.2: Tikka donor = $2100 (Donor = $900; Shouldered pre-fit = $400; Stock = $500; Scope base = $100; Tools = $200)

2: Bergara = $1700 (Rifle = $1600; Scope base = $100)

3.1: Custom = $2400 (Action = $1000; Pre-fit Barrel = $400; Trigger = $200; Stock = $600; Tools = $200)
3.2: Custom = $2550 (Action = $1000; GS installed barrel = $750; Trigger = $200; Stock = $600)

I'm in a similar boat to the OP and thus researching the Bergara for both a 6.5 CM and a 300 PRC. As I understand it, the Bergara B-14 is mfg'd in Spain but the Bergara Premier/Pro is partially/mostly mfg'd in USA.

I've priced out 5 different options for the CM:
1.1: Tikka donor = $1500 (Donor = $900; Stock = $500; Scope base = $100)
1.2: Tikka donor = $2100 (Donor = $900; Shouldered pre-fit = $400; Stock = $500; Scope base = $100; Tools = $200)

2: Bergara = $1700 (Rifle = $1600; Scope base = $100)

3.1: Custom = $2400 (Action = $1000; Pre-fit Barrel = $400; Trigger = $200; Stock = $600; Tools = $200)
3.2: Custom = $2550 (Action = $1000; GS installed barrel = $750; Trigger = $200; Stock = $600)

Yes I am pretty sure that the barrels are made in Spain and the rest is made from their USA facility (at least that is what their website says).

You definitely have a lot of options there, what are you leaning towards? Are you also considering the Highlander?

Yes I am pretty sure that the barrels are made in Spain and the rest is made from their USA facility (at least that is what their website says).

You definitely have a lot of options there, what are you leaning towards? Are you also considering the Highlander?
Neither of these is going to be for hunting so more weight is actually a good thing in my situation. If this were a hunting rig, I would probably lean towards one of the Tikka or custom options, due to weight. As it is not for hunting I'm leaning towards the Bergara HMR Pro due to cost. I'm guessing all of my options should be .5 or better with reloads.

The 300 PRC is basically my above options but minus the Tikka, and I'm thinking will have a 30 SM reamer run through it.

Last edited:
Have you ever built a rifle for below $2k? If so, how did it perform
An accurate rifle is all about the barrel. The trigger, bedding etc is just so we dont screw it up and make it shoot worse than it should. Actually I built a 7 mag on a sako action that was gifted to me for less than a grand and it shoots 1/2 moa. Of course an expensive custom action is nice to have and prob a necessity if you are shooting 1000 yd f class. But a trued remington makes a nice hunting rig.

Only one thought here from me...for what it's worth...Begara is made in Spain and from what I have heard... customer service isn't good...so if you choose it....I would ask the dealer if he is personally going to stand behind the gun....IF YOU HAVE ANY PROBLEMS...God forbid!
They have a plant in Georgia. Rifles are assembled there, and warranty work as well. No problem with service. Yes most manufactured in Spain, but finished in Georgia. Most never have a problem either.

Neither of these is going to be for hunting so more weight is actually a good thing in my situation. If this were a hunting rig, I would probably lean towards one of the Tikka or custom options, due to weight. As it is not for hunting I'm leaning towards the Bergara HMR Pro due to cost. I'm guessing all of my options should be .5 or better with reloads.

The 300 PRC is basically my above options but minus the Tikka, and I'm thinking will have a 30 SM reamer run through it.
Ah I see. I was hoping to get around .5 or better with my reloads too. I feel the Highlander should be capable of that

They have a plant in Georgia. Rifles are assembled there, and warranty work as well. No problem with service. Yes most manufactured in Spain, but finished in Georgia. Most never have a problem either.
That is good to know. From all the Begara reviews I have read online, none have mentioned bad service

I am looking at getting a 300 win mag for hunting out west and I think I have it narrowed down to the Bergara Premier Highlander and Christensen Arms Mesa. Has anyone shot these 2 rifles or have experience with them? They are similar weight with similar features. BUT, the Begara retails for about $500 more. Is the Begara worth this extra premium? Both companies offer sub-moa guarantee. From what I have seen online, the Begara seems to be a tack driver and groups slightly better then the Mesa.
I have the Bergera in 7 mag . Love it !!