Bergara Premier Highlander vs Christensen Arms Mesa

fnlights

I am looking at getting a 300 win mag for hunting out west and I think I have it narrowed down to the Bergara Premier Highlander and Christensen Arms Mesa. Has anyone shot these 2 rifles or have experience with them? They are similar weight with similar features. BUT, the Begara retails for about $500 more. Is the Begara worth this extra premium? Both companies offer sub-moa guarantee. From what I have seen online, the Begara seems to be a tack driver and groups slightly better then the Mesa.

Read reviews online or any forum for that matter and the choice should be simple. I won't gamble with CA

I have read quite a bit regarding the CA Mesa and they do seem to be a gamble. My buddy just picked one up and seems to get about a one inch group with factory ammo. I have not seen a ton regarding the Highlander. Unfortunately, nobody around me seems to carry them. So you would say Begara is 100% worth the extra money?

No experience with CA but my Bergara Premier Ridgeback (heavy gun) 6.5 CM consistently shoots sub .5 MOA with he best groups coming in around .2 MOA (factory eld-x ammo). Only complaint is that gun tends to short cycle rounds when shooting quickly (might just be me).

LHP

No experience with CA but my Bergara Premier Ridgeback (heavy gun) 6.5 CM consistently shoots sub .5 MOA with he best groups coming in around .2 MOA (factory eld-x ammo). Only complaint is that gun tends to short cycle rounds when shooting quickly (might just be me).

LHP

The Ridgeback looks to be a really nice gun, but yes definitely on the heavier side. I do plan on reloading 215 grain Berger bullets with H1000. But both of those are like impossible to find right now. Those are some really great groups with factory ammo!

Also, while I love me Bergara creedmoor, I don't love the twist rates on the the 300 WM. Bergara uses a 10 twist on the gun you are considering and that makes it difficult to shoot the big heavy bullets (200+ grain). This is especially true if you live/shoot at sub 2000' of elevation.

If you are happy shooting the 180 gr class bullets, I have not doubt this gun would be great. If you want to run the heavier bullets in a bergara, might want to step up to the 300 PRC w/ a 9 twist.

Check bergers stability calculator for the 215 and your most common shooting/hunting elevation using the 10 twist before you buy. I know this bc i built a 300 WM w/ a 10 twist and it wouldn't shoot the 215's at my home range in texas due to marginal stability. Shot 180's into 1 hole.....expensive mistake.

My current 300 PRC has an 8 twist so i can shoot the 215 berger and 214 Hammers. 9 twist would be fine for the 215 bergers but the hammers like really fast twist rates.

LHP

Check bergers stability calculator for the 215 and your most common shooting/hunting elevation using the 10 twist before you buy. I know this bc i built a 300 WM w/ a 10 twist and it wouldn't shoot the 215's at my home range in texas due to marginal stability. Shot 180's into 1 hole.....expensive mistake.

My current 300 PRC has an 8 twist so i can shoot the 215 berger and 214 Hammers. 9 twist would be fine for the 215 bergers but the hammers like really fast twist rates.

LHP
Good to know! I will make sure to look at Berger website and see. How does the 300 PRC shoot the Bergers? They do offer the Highlander with the 9 twist. I might consider that too

Good to know! I will make sure to look at Berger website and see. How does the 300 PRC shoot the Bergers?
Its a full custom build and honestly I've only done load development and sight in. Planning to stretch her legs in the next week or so....but....it shoots the 215 Bergers into 1 hole at 100 yards and all three bullets touch at 200....I'm extremely impressed. I'm running them at about 2875 FBS w/ H1000 and ADG brass. Could run her a quite a bit faster but accuracy seems to suffer.

Your issue w/ the 300 PRC is going to be getting premium brass (ADG). Could make Hornady brass in the short term then your repeating load development.

I have thought about doing a custom build. The Highlander would run about $1,750. I imagine at the price point I could build a pretty nice gun. But I would have no idea where to start and Begara is one of the most accurate out of the box guns you can get.

Realistically you're gonna be at least 3k on a full. custom build. This last gun was 4500 w premium components. Might want to look at fierce firearms if you want a step up from CA and Bergara w/o a full custom build.

The HMR Pro is a really nice gun. It is just significantly heavier then what I was looking for. But I can imagine it shoots pretty nice. From all the reviews I read, Begaras have a great reputation for accuracy

Realistically you're gonna be at least 3k on a full. custom build. This last gun was 4500 w premium components. Might want to look at fierce firearms if you want a step up from CA and Bergara w/o a full custom build.
I did look into the Fierces, but decided that the extra money would probably be better spent on some high quality glass. I have seen groups from the Highlander on here well under .5 moa with handloads, can't ask much more than that for a hunting rifle at that price point!