Bergara HMR wilderness in 300 prc pour grouping

kydeerhunter1203

I just bought a bergara hmr wilderness in 300 PRC I when through the break-in process 1 shot clean for 10 rounds then 3 shot clean for 10 groups. I am getting 1"1/2 groups to some 2" out of ten groups 1 is 3/4" I checked to make sure nothing has loosened up on the scope or anywhere else I can't find anything moving I called Bergara they said check for paint on the lugs that bolt the barrel to the stock or take off The muzzle brake I just wondering if anyone else is having this problem or have a solution any advice would be greatly appreciated thank you

Let's start with basics.

1- Factory ammo or reloads
2- what kind of scope and scope mounts
3- what is your shooting position and what type of rest are you shooting from
4- is the barrel touching the stock anywhere
Factory ammo Hornady match 225 gr
Athlon Aries 4.5x30x56
Mounts ant Warren
Shooting table with a lead sled
Barrel not touching
I have a begara HMR premiere. In 6.5 PRC shot 5 shots 1/2 " on same set up

I once had a Shillen match frozen barrel installed by Brown Precision on my Model 70 300 WSM. Group after group came back with 1 3/4" to 2" (5 shot) groups. I returned the Rifle to Mark Brown after about 100 rounds to check it out, he inspected it and returned it back to me with an A OK sign. From rounds 100 to 150 I did see a slight improvement and if I discarded the first two shotsfrom a clean barrel, the groups were now 1 to 1 1/4". I noticed steady and consistent improvement from rounds 150 to 300 and now the groups were nearly always under 3/4", some under 1/2". This barrel needed a longer break in than normal - I think there was a flaw that was present that the extended break in wore down and that two fouling shots were needed for the barrel to settle in. I have two other barrels from this manufacture installed on other rifles and neither one needs a fouling shot.

I know ammo is hard to come by, but if you can find a different load,, that's probably the first thing I'd try.

If that didn't fix it, I'd try taking off the brake entirely.

If that didn't fix it, I'd stop cleaning the barrel, and put another 20 rounds through the barrel to see if it shoots better fully fouled.

Wife has a browning 300 prc and with factory Hornady 225 ammo I have been less than impressed. I loaded it with 199 hammers for hunting and 230 Berger's once the lapua brass came in. I'd be ok going the rest of my life and not buy another thing that says Hornady on. I've had various issues with them in the past but that's Neither here nor there. As stated see what you can find or contact different companies that will load for you.

I have seen two Bergaras that had loose barrels, drove the owners crazy.

The more I read of people's experiences the more I realize to just go custom. I used to think buying deluxe rifles would avoid issues. Boy was I wrong. It's custom or nothing from now on. Ironically, I have bought a couple of regular factory rifles that shoot great. It gets to be too much hassle when things don't work out smoothly though. So save and get a custom or go through the steps posted above. Different loads,different ammo,bedding, screw tightening,scope not broke, certain amount of shots through barrel(not likely with a Shillen), rifle rest,rifle grip,muzzle nicks,muzzle brake affecting harmonics,bolt lugs true,lugs need lapping,chamber needs a spot polished(not likely with a Shilen), etc.,etc.,etc. A good experienced gun smith should give more than an OK and be able to resolve most issues. Otherwise you wasted your time with such a smith.

Last edited: