Bergara HMR Pro or Weatherby Accumark Elite?

DBBarton80

So I have an opportunity to get either or for a really good price. I am thinking 300 win mag,300 PRC, or 338 Lupua. Bergara currently doesn't offer a 338 Lapua to my knowledge. So if I went with Bergara it would be 300 PRC or possibly a 300 win mag. As for the Weatherby it would be 338 Lapua or 300 win mag. I know Bergara is a rem 700 footprint so stocks or aftermarket parts are easy to come by. As far as the Weatherby Accumark Elite I am leaning towards the 338, but considering a 300 win mag. I am looking for opinions or feedback for both manufacturers. I have no experience with Weatherby. I am looking for a reliable accurate rifle that I can shoot steel at 1000 yards plus, but I also want to be able to hunt with if i decide to. I am going to get one or the other. The Weatherby only weighs 8.4 lbs. Just wondering how the recoil(338) is with there carbon fiber stock. They both seem like really solid factory rifles. I reload and have dies and powder for 300 PRC or 300 Win. I heard a rumor that Bergara is going to have a 338 Lapua in the LRP. Any and all feedback would be appreciated.

I cannot talk about the Weatherby, but the two Bergara's I have load develop for are very accurate in the B14 HMR, the HMR Pro should be just as accurate. I would go Bergara, you already listed the Pro's with the 700 footprint. The weight would be the only Con. My vote would be 300 PRC in Bergara, that is the cartridge I was looking at in my next Bergara.

I have had more than 30 Mark Vs with the more modern synthetic stocks form Accumarks to Ultra Lightweights, Safaris, and Weathermarks. They have all been very accurate and easy to tune with most bullets. That includes most of the Weatherby calibers and standard 270, 243, 7mag, and 300Win. They build a fantastic rifle.

That's like asking if you want a strawberry cheesecake blizzard or a red velvet cake blizzard.

They are both absolutely excellent. No bad option.
I know! One thing about the Weatherby is you can completely customize it and have the action blue printed (for a price)! But to be fair that makes it more expensive. I was just curious other people's opinions. I know they are both really good. Just wondering how good the barrels and actions stack up against each other. I think the Bergara barrel is for target and hunting and the Weatherby is probably more for hunting. I will be doing both. I don't plan on rapid firing and getting my barrel hot anyway. I am looking for a mile rifle (target). I was going to do a full custom, but the price is right on these. I handled a Weatherby with there carbon fiber stock and it might of been one of the lightest rifles I've ever handled. I think either way I will be happy. Like I said I just don't have any experience with Weatherby rifles and don't know anyone that has that particular rifle. If I could I would get both haha

I know! One thing about the Weatherby is you can completely customize it and have the action blue printed (for a price)! But to be fair that makes it more expensive. I was just curious other people's opinions. I know they are both really good. Just wondering how good the barrels and actions stack up against each other. I think the Bergara barrel is for target and hunting and the Weatherby is probably more for hunting. I will be doing both. I don't plan on rapid firing and getting my barrel hot anyway. I am looking for a mile rifle (target). I was going to do a full custom, but the price is right on these. I handled a Weatherby with there carbon fiber stock and it might of been one of the lightest rifles I've ever handled. I think either way I will be happy. Like I said I just don't have any experience with Weatherby rifles and don't know anyone that has that particular rifle. If I could I would get both haha
I've got a few of each, but not those specific models. I've got a handful of mark V rifles, one an older accumark and I have some bergara rifles, and I love them all. For me Weatherby rifles just have soul. Bergara rifles seem to run a little heavier and seem to prioritize fixed position shooting over maneuverability, but they are also excellent. One thing to be wary of is the Weatherby habit of making rifles with slower twist rifling, since their proprietary cartridge designs prioritize m.v. which is sometimes at odds with the current high b.c. heavy for caliber trend. That's really the only thing I could point you to. You'll be very happy either way though I'm sure.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.