Bergara B14 HMR

Kmccord

I have two Bergara B14 HMR rifles, one in a 6.5 Creedmoor and the other in 7mm Rem Mag. My question is for people who own this rifle, how long did it take you to have the barrel break in and settled on the velocity of your particular cartridge load? I have not fired either of these rifles yet, the 6.5 Creed is mine and the 7mag will be my grandson for a grad present. The manual mentions there method of first 5 clean after each shot and next 50 clean after each ten, are you seeing the barrel settle down after 55 rounds or are you experiencing longer shot strings? Thanks in advance.

I did my normal 3 shot group, then clean for 4 groups. Then I clean about every 50-60 rds. I saw very little velocity variation after about 15 shots.

I have two Bergara B14 HMR rifles, one in a 6.5 Creedmoor and the other in 7mm Rem Mag. My question is for people who own this rifle, how long did it take you to have the barrel break in and settled on the velocity of your particular cartridge load? I have not fired either of these rifles yet, the 6.5 Creed is mine and the 7mag will be my grandson for a grad present. The manual mentions there method of first 5 clean after each shot and next 50 clean after each ten, are you seeing the barrel settle down after 55 rounds or are you experiencing longer shot strings? Thanks in advance.
Broke a 6.5 in for sister in law thought it would never come around my guess was about 65 to 70 rounds I shot and cleaned for the first 20 and then went to 3 shots for 15 rounds and then to 5 for the rest it still fouls fairly quick but will hold accuracy for about 25 rounds for her that's 2 hunting seasons so its not a problem factory gun you just never know if the tooling was new or getting wore out when this barrel was made

I am still waiting for my Weaver rail to show up, tomorrow hopefully and my cleaning jags, should be tomorrow as well. I hope to have time this coming weekend to start, need to dust off the old Chronograph. I purchased some American Eagle 120gr ammo to break it in. Then will start working up a load with 140gr Berger or 143gr Hornady ELDX, not sure which one I will use.

I am still waiting for my Weaver rail to show up, tomorrow hopefully and my cleaning jags, should be tomorrow as well. I hope to have time this coming weekend to start, need to dust off the old Chronograph. I purchased some American Eagle 120gr ammo to break it in. Then will start working up a load with 14e0gr Berger or 143gr Hornady ELDX, not sure which one I will use.
I have a Bergara Ridge, in 7-08. I now have 67 rounds down the tube. It cleans fairly easy, and I'm under an inch with most of my samples, and alot of those groups were at 150 yds. I'm very pleased with the rifle/caliber combo. The quality is very good, fit and finish excellent. My barreled action is the same as yours, same #5 contour.
I'm shooting this weekend, and will probably approach the magic 100 , that most say seems to be the number. I agree with that for the most part. I have a stubborn spot right at the muzzle, but its getting less and less. Ive been cleaning after every ten since the initials. I think you will enjoy your purchases!

I scoped both barrels when I received them, it was fouled and streaks of copper, at first I was wondering if it was some type of grease they may had in the barrel prior to shipping.
After one pass with Bore tech carbon remover it was pretty black on the patch, it took several times of patches and brushing to clean the carbon, scoped again and those dull looking grease spots are now like a new penny.. Out comes Bore tech copper remover and same thing several times with patch and brush finally brings out a shiny new barrel. Apparently they did not follow there own recommendations on cleaning 😆

Bergara barrels are some of the best factory barrels. I would stick to what the manufacturer says on the break in. They have some top notch gun smiths who know what they are talking about. You can always call those guys and ask what they do and what they see in number of shots and velocity.

The rifle you have, is what inspired me to buy the one I have. Unfortunately, they don't make the HMR, in 7-08. However, after researching it, I found thst they do make the Ridge, in 7-08. Pretty much bought it, site unseen. My dealer was even impressed. Mounted a Meopta Optika6, 3-18 x50, love the whole combo!
Trigger is awesome, haven't touched it, as it came to me at about 2 pounds. Everyone that see' s it, drools! I really like the stock on yours! Excellent engineering! That chassis is solid! Cheers!

Still have both HMR's?
Yes, one is mine the other is the Grandson's, he received it on Graduation. I like both, the 7 Mag was easier to dial in, the problem with the Creed is the Mag is not long enough to get .020 off that lands. You have a big jump, like .100 to make it where it will not catch on the action feed lips. The 7 Mag you can load to the lands and still have some Mag length, so it allowed more flex for seating depth.

I ask because I'm wondering if the HMR cheek riser on the 7mm has the cut out for the long action bolt. If it does, I'm wondering if that cheek riser will fit in the 6.5 HMR stock. And, if it does, can the bolt be removed with the riser in place.

No, it is not cut out, it will hit if higher than .50 inch. It will require you to adjust it back down and then move it back in place later.

Recent Posts