Bergara B-14 Hunter -- Your thoughts/possible issues?

I have been working up loads for my brother's b14 hunter '06. It isn't very accurate with anything so far and the trigger sucks, it has lots of creep, not smooth at all.

I have been working up loads for my brother's b14 hunter '06. It isn't very accurate with anything so far and the trigger sucks, it has lots of creep, not smooth at all.

Really? I'll be honest, first report of that I have heard. Has it shot factory ammo before?

The one that I have I won in a prize draw. When I was looking at spending my money I was looking at a Tikka. That said I get good accuracy and as mentioned the issue I had has been corrected by having the firing pin bushed.

I had never heard of this so I googled it. Came up with something called EEZOX. Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing. https://www.eezox.com/
I misspelled it, just corrected, EEZOX, I apply a coat every so often, never put it in a barrel, had a bad experience with Tetra one time, it has teflon and made a mess of an accurate shooter until I scrubbed it out. Tetra is good on moving parts but not in the chamber or barrel. I first bought EEZOX in Anchorage 30+ years ago. It does the trick.

Last edited:
I had never heard of this so I googled it. Came up with something called EEZOX. Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing. https://www.eezox.com/

I've been using Eezox for years, it goes on every firearm and carbon steel knife I own. One of the things I like about it is it's thin and dries nicely without being sticky or gummy like other protectants. Fantastic product and I've never had anything rust even when I've been caught in the rain and didn't clean the firearm for several days. Eezox, Lucas Extreme Duty gun oil and Brian Enos Slide Glide covers all my lubrication/protectant needs.

i own both. i have several tikka t3's and one b14 hmr. both are accurate. the t3's have a much better trigger and are lighter. the b14 hmr has the better stock and better weight for distance shooting. the b14 needed a trigger right away due to creep. others at the store had much better triggers on them so, i'd suggest buying the one you try.

both guns are fine but are fit for different purposes. the t3 is a great medium range gun as is. a new stock makes it a long range gun. the hmr is a target gun and should be used for that and longer range hunting, imo.

Really? I'll be honest, first report of that I have heard. Has it shot factory ammo before?
Yes, we put 3 or 4 different types of factory ammo down it right after he got the rifle and nothing was under MOA. I have done a few different loads for his rifle and have found that it likes 208 ELD-M and superformance at a couple different charges. It is certainly no where in the same league as my Tikka T3 '06. I did lighten the tigger on his all the way, but didn't see any other adjustments for it. The trigger does not lighten up enough and there is horrible grabby creep in the pull. Other then lightening the trigger pull, all I did to it was torque the action screws when putting the stock back on.

I expected it to be a much better rifle then it is. I do like the stock and the rifle's finish, but I would never want one compared to my Tikka, Remingtons, or Winchester M70.

Maybe he got one built on a friday afternoon?

The link to Cabela's sale on the Remington AWR is a very good deal I'm a dealer and looked it up, almost $30 below wholesale. I would throw away the trigger, Triggertech has a sale right now for 20% off or Timney has a very good trigger as well. I also like the Tikka but you might need to add a break, they are lighter than the Remington.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello all,

I'm within about a week of purchasing a Bergara B-14 Hunter in 7mm rem mag... I now am concerned and am reconsidering this option. I was told on another post that the bolt shroud on this rifle can break as a result of the firing pin hole being too large, which results in a pierced primer and sending the firing pin back far enough to break the shroud. Has anyone here personally experienced this problem? Is there any other problems with this rifle (easy rusting, action issues, etc.) you have experienced? Should this possible issue scare me away? I'm open to other recommendations of equal quality rifles under $700!

As a side note, I plan to use handloads in the rifle down the road (yes I know it voids the Bergara warranty), but for a few months will just be shooting cheaper factory loads.
Thank you all!
What I've done is purchased a Winchester model 70 and had it rebarreled. Have not had broken "anything"
And only " cried once" Takes a little more time to build it. Model 70 is hard to beat. HTH

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.