Bergara 7 Mag and Hammers

nso123

The Bergara Wilderness Terrain rifle my wife wants to get me for Christmas appears to have a 9.5 twist barrel. Does anyone have any experience with trying to stabilize some of the Hammer bullets in one of these? I notice that several of the bullets are listed as needing a bit faster twist. I have emailed Steve with this question, but I know it's hunting season and he is busy, so I thought I would see if anyone has some personal observations.

The Bergara Wilderness Terrain rifle my wife wants to get me for Christmas appears to have a 9.5 twist barrel. Does anyone have any experience with trying to stabilize some of the Hammer bullets in one of these? I notice that several of the bullets are listed as needing a bit faster twist. I have emailed Steve with this question, but I know it's hunting season and he is busy, so I thought I would see if anyone has some personal observations.
I think Steve is still in OK hunting, so he may not get back to you until later in the evening

So, just to answer your question, you need to follow the twist recommendations. Honestly, they run even better having more twist than what is recommended. Stick with the Hunter bullets if you're going to match the twist recommendation because they engage the rifling more than the Absolute line of bullets. The 131gr Hunter would work well for you. But, I'd also look at the 120gr Hunter. I'm running it in my 280 AI at 3564 fps with great accuracy.

I think Steve is still in OK hunting, so he may not get back to you until later in the evening

So, just to answer your question, you need to follow the twist recommendations. Honestly, they run even better having more twist than what is recommended. Stick with the Hunter bullets if you're going to match the twist recommendation because they engage the rifling more than the Absolute line of bullets. The 131gr Hunter would work well for you. But, I'd also look at the 120gr Hunter. I'm running it in my 280 AI at 3564 fps with great accuracy.
Your example is exactly why I would probably toss the idea of the Bergara. If I can do that in the 280AI, and I am limited with the barrel twist, why burn the extra powder in the 7 Mag?

Your example is exactly why I would probably toss the idea of the Bergara. If I can do that in the 280AI, and I am limited with the barrel twist, why burn the extra powder in the 7 Mag?
Totally agree.

Begara does make a nice rifle, but some of these Euro manufacturers haven't updated the twist rates and I don't know why. I love my Sako 75 in 300 WSM, but hate the 11 twist.

I have found Hammer's recommended minimum twist rates to be spot on. The only exception is the 155 AH which shoots exceptionally well in my 1-9.25" 7 STW despite a recommendation of 1-8".

In all of the testing so far, it seems Steve's recommendations for twist should be mimimum. Faster than required is even better. Your rifle may shoot a bullet with slightly lower than recommended twist - but barrels aren't always actually twisted as marked. Barrels vary.
Also, we are finding that the traditional stability rating of 1.5 for good bullet flight should be considered minimum for good terminal (impact) stability. A stability rating of 2 (or more) will give far better performance and penetration on animals.