Bennie Cooley muzzel brake tested !!

James Jones

I had fgotten one of these brakes to put on a light weight 7mm Dakota but that project has benn put on hold so i put it on a new 300RUM. The gun has a #6 3groove Pac-Nor Super match barrel 1-10 twist thats finished at 28" the action is a Rem 700 that was a 300RUM to start with. The gun wheres a Hightech specialties light weight stock and scope and all the gun weighs a little over 10.5lbs.

I shot the gun with the Cooley brake then with a Vias then without any brake.
The Cooley brake worked the best and was the loudest the recoil was around that of a mid weight 270 or 25-06
the Vias brake had a bit more kick but a little less muzzel blast.Recoil ,maybe like a rem 700BDL in 30-06 with 165gr bullets
without the brake is total nonsence !! it hurt !!
I was going to try it against a Holland but I would have had to re-thread the Holland and index it to this barrel.

The final load with this gun is a moly coated 180gr Accubond seated over 95grs ov VV-165 the velocity is right at the 3500fps mark and accuracy is almost .5" I want to try the 200gr accubonds soon as well.

The purpose of this rig is for my dad to make long shots accross cutovers , powerlines and bean fields without having to do so much range adjustments.Max range is 700yds
He loves it , not real crazy about the extra noise but says he can get used to wearing the ear plugs.

All in All , for $90 the Bennie Coolie brake works and looks good , I seriously doubt that its any louder than the Holland.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.