Benefits of a Local Gun Store

Wish I had more LGS around me. The one I used to go to for 30+ years closed its doors about a year and a half ago. Now have to drive 30 mins to get to the next one and unfortunately they have never been super nice to deal with and with multiple experiences there I made the decision to not go back. Found a local gun range that I went to last week that actually has some supplies and they were friendly so I will go back. Even though prices are higher then they were a year ago they are not gouging to much and super friendly so they will have my business when I'm in the area. The local Sportsmen's Warehouse seem to just hire old cranky men that have been nothing but A-holes so I only buy fishing equipment there now

Update on California's Shooting Supply Situation:
My local gun store owner told me today that ammunition and reloading supplies are starting (just starting) to improve.
His policy, a couple of months ago, was 'sell ammo only to the buyer of a new firearm'. He now has enough to sell over-the- counter. That said, prices are not like they were pre-Covid19.
I do not have a 6.5 'anything', but just to make those of you who do jealous, he has 6.5 Lapua and Norma brass just sitting on the shelf for about $1.40/piece, tax included.....sorry but he doesn't do online orders.
*Primers are still 'dear'. His sell price is $100 (tax included) for Federal Match Large Pistol.....bought some. He told me that primers sell out immediately. I was begging him to get some small rifle and small pistol primers. He told me that shipments have been as much as 6 months apart.
*Powder...IMR 4350 is $38/lb....bought some.
*Firearms: His stock of firearms (pistols, revolvers and rifles (of any color) is almost gone. Most appeared to be consignment firearms. People (as I was standing there) were buying and paying a price ^higher than Blue Book.
*Reloading equipment - Dillon presses. He told me that Dillon was selling presses as fast as they could make them and that they had no inventory.
So, I guess, there is no conspiracy to withhold product but thatView attachment 257219
I can't stomach the thought of box stores! Yea sometimes you need to go to Home Depot or Lowe's. But I typically do all my shopping at local stores. I'll proudly say that I haven't been thru Walmart's doors in 2 years! Make America Great Again thru mom and pop stores!! They actually appreciate your business.

I can't stomach the thought of box stores! Yea sometimes you need to go to Home Depot or Lowe's. But I typically do all my shopping at local stores. I'll proudly say that I haven't been thru Walmart's doors in 2 years! Make America Great Again thru mom and pop stores!! They actually appreciate your business.
You sir are a hero . I absolutely despise Walmart . Finally had to break down this past weekend and go in ours here local. It's been over a year since the last time I was in one .
I do my very best to avoid them at all cost . I'd rather pay a little more to a local shop owner than pay China one red cent . If I can keep from it . Buy American , Local !
I'm not even a fan of ordering stuff offline unless I have no other options . The one local shop we had people were buying guns offline from various places , buds , cheaper than dirt and what not is what put them out of business. Yeah you sure can get a gun offline from one of those places cheaper but the old boy was charging a 25 ffl transfer and that was almost putting the price within 5-10$ of what he was selling them for . Crazy

I actually enjoy shopping at Walmart. Before they did stupid things like remove most rifle and pistol ammo, they were at least even with the LGS I go to. I like the people that work there and they are a helpful group. Having said that, I often find that there are items that are chaper to buy in my LGS paying taxes that are cheaper that even eBay when you inlcude their shipping. I dont mind the few estra $ shopping local , or "buying USA" but I am also not going to go to the point of what I consider a waste of my $. At least for now we have the freedom to make choices.

Do you find H4350 better than IMR4350? I have been running IMR4350 but see many posts for H4350. Wondering if I am missing something.
Years ago I did a lot of load development with my new MOD 70 30-06. Used most of the usual powders for 165-180 bullets. Zeroed in on 4350 and tried IMR, AA and h4350. Over the course of many range sessions the H4350 gave me consistently better groups. Smaller groups overall and less in the way of "flyers". I might not have the best technique for shooting groups so figured over many shooting sessions that the H4350 being better was because it was better.

My LGS is an on-line retailer with a walk in retail space. I drop in once a week to check out the shelves. So far LR primers, SR primers and good variety of Lapua brass. Primers sell out fast and the brass has stayed around longer.

100% agree. A local gun range opened/shop opened up near me 3 years ago, I joined and haven't looked back.

Bought multiple firearms and even used them to sell some on consignment. Bought ALL my ammo there and had them order some by the case for a discount.

Guess who got the call when hard to find stuff came in? And they still have re-manufactured 9mm for about $19 a 50 round box. Limit one box......unless of course you happen to be friends with the owner. 😉

Fortunately I stocked up when it was 16 cents a round. So I only buy enough for my range session.

My previous support and relationship with my LGS has paid dividends over and over.

On a side note, I was in another town on business and stopped at a small local shop that I just happened to be driving buy. Saw he had a couple of boxes of CMP ball ammo for my M1 on the shelf. I put one on the counter and struck up a conversation with the proprietor, he was tired of people coming in and bringing their whole families in every day to buy up their limits of his small stock of 9mm (probably reselling). So he just took it off the shelf.

After a pleasant 30 min conversation about guns, politics and the state of the country, he went in the back and came out and surprised me with a can of 240 rounds of the CMP ammo....at a pre Covid price.

Only thing I buy online are things my LGS doesn't stock or normally handle.
Take care of these guys as they will take care of you.

My LGS is run by an 85 year old vet. He said he cannot and will not raise prices above the regular 5% over cost he gets it at. He said " at my age a few bucks means nothing" and the way people remember me means everything. He sold me 2 boxes of Federal Premium 308 with the 165 gr Trophy bonded for $40.00- both boxes. I have used him for years and dread when he is gone!

In Helena we have a Sportsmans Whorehouse, a Bob Wards and a LGS. I'd love to patronize the LGS but the owner is an unadulterated *****. I've never seen someone berate employees the way he does. He tried getting snarky with me one time- I had purchased a firearm and had it shipped to him and they claimed they never received it. Within a few days I had proof it was delivered and signed for, went back and he literally tried to blame me, and then the shipper. One of his employees went into a back room and found it. They had received it, checked it in, and someone put it in the wrong box (duh). When the employee came out with my rifle, the owner berated the employee for screwing up, even though the dude said "I didn't check this one in, boss".

So I go to the Whorehouse. I get my needs met there, lol.
Edit- there is one other LGS intown- a good one, but they hardly ever have any of the reloading supplies I need- very limited even in good times. However I do buy a lot from them- rifles, shotguns, bino's etc.. And they have an awesome smith on duty.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.