Benefits of a Local Gun Store

epags

Update on California's Shooting Supply Situation:
My local gun store owner told me today that ammunition and reloading supplies are starting (just starting) to improve.
His policy, a couple of months ago, was 'sell ammo only to the buyer of a new firearm'. He now has enough to sell over-the- counter. That said, prices are not like they were pre-Covid19.
I do not have a 6.5 'anything', but just to make those of you who do jealous, he has 6.5 Lapua and Norma brass just sitting on the shelf for about $1.40/piece, tax included.....sorry but he doesn't do online orders.
*Primers are still 'dear'. His sell price is $100 (tax included) for Federal Match Large Pistol.....bought some. He told me that primers sell out immediately. I was begging him to get some small rifle and small pistol primers. He told me that shipments have been as much as 6 months apart.
*Powder...IMR 4350 is $38/lb....bought some.
*Firearms: His stock of firearms (pistols, revolvers and rifles (of any color) is almost gone. Most appeared to be consignment firearms. People (as I was standing there) were buying and paying a price ^higher than Blue Book.
*Reloading equipment - Dillon presses. He told me that Dillon was selling presses as fast as they could make them and that they had no inventory.
So, I guess, there is no conspiracy to withhold product but that
1614719566446.png

LGS's are priceless. I have tried and tried to push friends and people into supporting Mom and Pop yet, many still would rather some snot nose kid sell them a rifle because they can drive an hour to a box store and save 9.99.
While hanging out last week the owner took me into his office and offered first choice on the pallet of powder he was going to put out in the morning. And just a month earlier I picked up one of two of his in stock CA Ridgeline 300 WM for a steal because of my support over the years.
Much of their stock is going on GB because that will keep his doors open and I can't blame him. He has 7 employees and cares about their families.
Support your locally owned LGS.

I have gotten people to go to the LGS and they tell me his ammo is 10.00 higher than a big town. The closet large town is an hour away, I try to explain that by the time you drive there and back eat and take the wife shopping that ammo is 50.00 higher. Most don't listen but not my problem I shop with him and also shoot with him. He will let me know when he gets stuff in and if I need it I usually get it a little cheaper because I support him.

I have gotten people to go to the LGS and they tell me his ammo is 10.00 higher than a big town. The closet large town is an hour away, I try to explain that by the time you drive there and back eat and take the wife shopping that ammo is 50.00 higher. Most don't listen but not my problem I shop with him and also shoot with him. He will let me know when he gets stuff in and if I need it I usually get it a little cheaper because I support him.
You are doing the right thing!

I don't think that people who have never ran a business can understand all the costs involved. When the owner cannot get a lot of stock, they have to sell what they have at enough profit to cover their operating costs just to stay in business, let alone pay the owner a salary.

You are doing the right thing!

I don't think that people who have never ran a business can understand all the costs involved. When the owner cannot get a lot of stock, they have to sell what they have at enough profit to cover their operating costs just to stay in business, let alone pay the owner a salary.
We operate a small shop here in NW Ohio. You all have pegged the issues perfectly. Support your LGS!

My local store is pretty awesome. I'll buy online if I find cheap, but usually always leave their store with something. Never seen them out if primers and they've only been out of 2 items in the 2 years I've been frequenting them (RL26 and Berger 215s). Last month I went in looking for the 215s but found out they were sold out. I then asked the owner if he'd gotten in any RL26 he brought me out a 8#er.

Yeah it's a little higher (Bergers usually go for 70 a box and powder has been 40 a pound) but if you factors in shipping and or drive time to other places I'm sure it's a wash. I will miss them when I move next year!

My local store is pretty awesome. I'll buy online if I find cheap, but usually always leave their store with something. Never seen them out if primers and they've only been out of 2 items in the 2 years I've been frequenting them (RL26 and Berger 215s). Last month I went in looking for the 215s but found out they were sold out. I then asked the owner if he'd gotten in any RL26 he brought me out a 8#er.

Yeah it's a little higher (Bergers usually go for 70 a box and powder has been 40 a pound) but if you factors in shipping and or drive time to other places I'm sure it's a wash. I will miss them when I move next year!
Oh, tell me they have small pistol and rifle primers. If so I see a road trip in my future. Also can pick up some Italian food from the district.

Local support is vital. There are too few LGS as is.
When I buy/build a rifle, I will also buy bullets, brass (at least 200 pcs), dies, and if needed, powder and primers.
Sitting on plenty to keep me rolling until 2023 across 18 cartridges, but still drop into LGS as often as I can.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts