Benefits of 129/130 gr bullets w 6.5x284?

Interesting for sure and a bit surprising. I chose the 6.5 on research and some experts I trusted. Each time I squeeze the trigger on targets in that 1000 to 1500 range I giggle. The bullets find their way there when I do my part. Fun continuing to learn about this caliber. I only have 850 rounds through this rifle I look forward to each field trip with it.

For the two loads you are asking about using Berger VLD's at 5000 ft, 50F, at 1000 yards, 100 yards zero. Here is the comparison:

130 VLD at 3250 FPS. Drop 21.4 MOA, 10 mph wind 5.1MOA, 1730 FPS, 864 energy

140 VLD at 3080 FPS. Drop 22.9 MOA, 10 mph wind 5.3 MOA, 1731FPS, 932 energy

They are pretty close with a slight advantage in energy going to the 140 and the 130's shooting flatter at the midranges. I like the 140's because my rifles give better grouping at long range but this may not be the case with all rifles. Between the two bullets I would go with the the best accuracy at long range. I do think the terminal performance on game with the VLD's is better with the 140's in that they seem to hold together better at the shorter distances at a more moderate velocity. At long range the higher sectional density gives good penetration while still expanding and doing a lot of internal damage. If elk at +500 yards was my quarry I would prefer the 140's for this reason. I have had outstanding performance on deer sized game from 50-1000 yards with the 140's running in the 3000FPS range out of my two 6.5x284's.

Thanks for the good info Greyfox. I was out at our family range with my brother-in-law a few weeks back and shot at a 16x16 1/4in steel plate set up at 600yds from our bench. My buddy was shooting his 87grn berger VLDs out of his 6x284 (MV @ 3700fps w/30in tube) and the bergers punched holes right through them :D. I was just amazed as it looked like a torch cut a perfect hole through the plate. When my barnes 6.5 127 LRX hit the plate they almost went through the steel. Looking at the back of the plate, you could see that the steel was bubbled out pretty far. Just for fun, I am going to load up some berger 130s/140s to see if I can punch a hole right through it. I am wondering if he was able to blow a hole through the steel because of the smaller bullet diameter or if it was a combination of the bullet type and velocity etc. I can't wait for it to warm up and for my scope to arrive from Leupold. I sent it in to have the M1 adjustments installed and illuminate my TMR reticle.

Hybrid 100V....I have been loading the 100v for the last 3 years in my 6.5 and I can say this about it. It not very temp stable in my opinion, and as staited eairler it does pressure spike quickly. I shoot 49.5 grains in my gun with 140vld's. This is max for mine at 65 degrees and below which 65 degrees is the top of the temp. At 70 degrees I get resistance on the bolt lift. If it creeps up to 75 the bolt lift gets tighter. Also my volicity changes quite abit. At 75 degrees it went to 2928 to 2935. At the lower temp like hunting weather 40ish I am getting 2840 to 2845. I have not chono it at any temp below 42 degrees but my drops were still working when out shooting at 33 to 35 degrees. But with this said I am going to try Retumbo this year. I think it might give me some more speed and a more of a stable temp powder which will work out for the best. I still will use the 100V since I have 5 pounds of it for target shooting and still some hunting.

Thanks for the good info Greyfox. I was out at our family range with my brother-in-law a few weeks back and shot at a 16x16 1/4in steel plate set up at 600yds from our bench. My buddy was shooting his 87grn berger VLDs out of his 6x284 (MV @ 3700fps w/30in tube) and the bergers punched holes right through them :D. I was just amazed as it looked like a torch cut a perfect hole through the plate. When my barnes 6.5 127 LRX hit the plate they almost went through the steel. Looking at the back of the plate, you could see that the steel was bubbled out pretty far. Just for fun, I am going to load up some berger 130s/140s to see if I can punch a hole right through it. I am wondering if he was able to blow a hole through the steel because of the smaller bullet diameter or if it was a combination of the bullet type and velocity etc. I can't wait for it to warm up and for my scope to arrive from Leupold. I sent it in to have the M1 adjustments installed and illuminate my TMR reticle.

While the high velocity of those 87 gr Bergers sure helps, i think bullet constuction is usually the major factor when clean holes are cut through steel. Your buddy's bullets seem to be behaving like FMJ's with a whole lot more thick jacket then lead.

Hybrid 100V....I have been loading the 100v for the last 3 years in my 6.5 and I can say this about it. It not very temp stable in my opinion, and as staited eairler it does pressure spike quickly. I shoot 49.5 grains in my gun with 140vld's. This is max for mine at 65 degrees and below which 65 degrees is the top of the temp. At 70 degrees I get resistance on the bolt lift. If it creeps up to 75 the bolt lift gets tighter. Also my volicity changes quite abit. At 75 degrees it went to 2928 to 2935. At the lower temp like hunting weather 40ish I am getting 2840 to 2845. I have not chono it at any temp below 42 degrees but my drops were still working when out shooting at 33 to 35 degrees. But with this said I am going to try Retumbo this year. I think it might give me some more speed and a more of a stable temp powder which will work out for the best. I still will use the 100V since I have 5 pounds of it for target shooting and still some hunting.

This is the reason I went to extreme powder and worked on the best accuracy and speed I could get with the temp issues. You might like retumbo like I do. My current load of 56.5 is giving my 2940 and it doesn't change enough from 10 to 80 to do anything. Most of my hunting is 10-50 and this time of the year 10-30. I shot a solution for 836 yards on Sunday at 28F and the results were almost perfect. Less than .2 MOA off exact dead center.

..... I have not had a chance to test the 160 Matrix yet but would love to try them over a case full of Magnum, Retumbo, N570, or AA8700 in a 30" tube and see what they are capable of. I can run 140s over 3200 they just get to finicky, so my sweet spot is 3166avg, so I'm thinking I can get close to 3k with 160s, maybe even point a few if I can get them, and see how they fly. Might work best in a 6.5x257wby with Retumbo, who knows.

That's what i'm talking about :D your receipe is right down my alley. I'm loading the 160 w/N570 in a 30" 6.5WSM. 3100fps & am finding suprisingly good temp stability. I'm hoping to hit 3150-ish before I pressure out, time will tell.

t

Shot a clean hole through 3/8 mild steel, with a .17 Rem 20gr ballistic tip bullet, moving around 4000 fps. Looked like a paper punch made the perfect hole! Granted, Target was only 100 Yards, but still.......

While the high velocity of those 87 gr Bergers sure helps, i think bullet constuction is usually the major factor when clean holes are cut through steel. Your buddy's bullets seem to be behaving like FMJ's with a whole lot more thick jacket then lead.

I agree with your thoughts as well...thus trying the berger vld 130 & 140. That would be awesome to punch through steel at 600yds with a heavy 130 or 140 6.5 class bullet!! I probably would sit out there all day until there was so many holes in the steel that you couldnt tell the plate from the background. :D

I shot a 1/2" thick 10" square plate of mild steel at 525 about 2 years ago with the 6.5x284 hunting rifle with a 26.5" barrel that I mentioned previously, load was 140 Bergers at 3076avg, put three shots in a tid bit less than a 2" triangle and when we checked the target to find out how it was grouping it looked like the triangle was made by three passes under a drill press with a 1/2" bit and the holes had a nice copper lining!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts