Benchrest Technique.....Advice Needed!

Ingwe

Hello Fellas,

Maybe I am missing something so I am wondering if anyone has some advice for me.

I am getting inconsistent groups off the bench. Actually, I will usually put 2 bullets into pretty much the same hole, then the third will hit 1/2" off.....right, left, up, down.
I know that it is not my rifle, it's me, using inconsistent cheek pressure. I am trying to be mindful of doing the exact same thing for each shot with grip, shoulder pressure, and cheek pressure, but I am doing something wrong...most likely check weld/pressure.

I am shooting a 7mmRemMag, ATACR scope, Caldwell Front Rest, and Protector, rear bag at 100 yards off bench in indoor range.

At the same time with my scoped AR I will put 10 rounds into a dime at 100yards.

Any input/advice for me??

Thanks Fellas and Happy Easter!

Well the 7MM obviously has more recoil than the AR. Could be the increased muscle tension used to control the recoil is pulling the rifle sometimes or could be that you flinch somethings with the &MM and don'y even know it. Could even be barrel heat. My 7MM heats up fast and i hot after three shots without much wait time.

I would use the trick of having a friend load the 7MM for you one round at a time without you seeing, then ever so often the actually don't put a round in and see what happens. If you are flenching with the 7MM it will show up when you pull the trigger on an empty chamber.

Just thoughts. Use a for real level setting up your rest, make sure of your alignment target, front rest, rear rest, all in a straight line. Some of your variables in cheek weld may be to correct alignment issues that can be corrected in your set up. Be consistent with which part of the fore end is on the front rest.

Forget the bench, get prone with a bipod, and rear bag. I've got a couple that have always preferred this approach.

Barrelnut,
Good point! Flinch did cross my mind but I didn't pay much attention to it.

Harperc,
I live in the New York City area where I am lucky to even have an indoor 100Yard range with a bench so shooting prone isn't possible there.....NY SUCKS trust me!

I was thinking of using a front bag instead of a front rest?

Also run a seating depth test. I had a weird experience where a gun would always throw a flier in a 5 shot group and playing with seating depth eliminated the flyer.

My one technique that usually addresses shooter problems.

Make sure you see the shot break. I.e. are your eyes on the intended shot placement when the shot actually goes off. This catches flinching, trigger jerk, etc, etc.

Larry
Tinkerer

The three most common issues that I have seen in non-free recoil benchrest shooting is:
-Cheek weld. Use only a light contact.
-Sight picture-eye focus should be in the crosshair not with the crosshair and target in a two dimensional flat plane with the target.
-Consistent butt pressure against the shoulder, and get behind the rifle.
IMO

All the above is good/advise comments.

You didn't mention what kind of trigger you have, what it's set at or if you have any travel in the trigger. If you are shooting other rifles well then it may be something in this rifle or something you are doing different.

One of the best teaching aids I constantly use is dry firing, dry firing and more dry firing, while staying down on the stock and all the while watching your cross hairs when the trigger breaks to see if the cross hairs moved. You may be doing this already - I don't know.

Another thing I constantly preach is when the trigger breaks continue with the same pressure follow through on the trigger until you see the bullet impact. I see a lot of people that release trigger pressure when the primer is lit And there goes any chance of follow through. I refer to it as trigger slapping in the sense that some people slap the trigger finger open when the shot breaks. This seems to be more problematic with the larger calibers.

There is nothing like going back to a good old 22 rim fire at 100 yards to get ones confidence and form back either.

You could also be getting uneven movement during recoil. Try putting a used dryer sheet under the gun on the front and rear bag. Benchresters use baby powder, but the dryer sheets work just as well without the mess. Hope you find the answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.