Benchmark Barrels now offering carbon wrapped barrels

ELR Researcher

I just confirmed with Chris at Benchmark Barrels that they are now opening up their carbon-wrapped barrels to the general public. I had e-mailed him regarding an option listed on Northwest Action Work's website for "Upgrade to Benchmark Carbon Wrapped Barrel".Chris responded, "Yes I've been doing the carbon wrapped barrels here since last Aug, and am at the point where I am ready to launch to the public. Currently the smallest wrap I'll contour is a #6 and a max finish of 28", on the larger barrels I can go to 1.375-1.5" as well and up to 33" long, granted the muzzle has to be 1" or larger. Our lead-time is currently 4 months, and the retail cost is $800."Nothing on their website yet, you'll need to call (360-652-2594).

Move over Proof Research and Christensen Arms!

Have you shot one of these? Why would you say move over Proof? Christensen I understand. . Please inform us

This is good news. I've been kicking around the idea of an ultralight mountain rifle for California deer hunting using a carbon fiber wrapped barrel and a titanium action. Chambering in the general neighborhood of 6.5 Creedmore or 7mm-08. Still researching stocks.

I want a rifle so light that I have to tie it down just to keep it from floating away.

Bettin, MRI and Fierce also do carbon...plenty of options for carbon these days. All a bit different and priced a bit different too...

ELR,
Thanks for the enlightenment. I was asking for a real answer. Proof is well documented producing exceptional barrels. Everyone knows Benchmark makes a great traditional , but carbon wrapped is another animal. I was hoping you might have actual insight rather than just make silly comments.

ELR,
Thanks for the enlightenment. I was asking for a real answer. Proof is well documented producing exceptional barrels. Everyone knows Benchmark makes a great traditional , but carbon wrapped is another animal. I was hoping you might have actual insight rather than just make silly comments.
Are you an engineer?
Have you ever worked with carbon fiber?

So far I'm really impressed with Benchmark and have no reason to believe that the carbon wrappped offering won't live up to their previous benchmark (pun intended).

Things may have changed since I last checked but AFAIK, Proof and CA don't drill and rifle their own blanks. The carbon process is not that hard. Detailed yes. Its about procedure not engineering or materials science. That part is done.

Oh, my Proof barrel is at the post office because I wasn't home to sigIn for it. Another is being relayed.

I will most definitely try out a Benchmark carbon wrapped. Perhaps to rebarrel my 338/26-Nosler.

Jfseaman,

The answers to your questions is No. I don't see how that matters though. I was asking to possibly learn something. My little knowledge on carbon barrels comes from shooting the original Abs barrels and speaking with their owner. And recently with Proof (which was Abs). They always stressed the difference with carbon.

I have no reason to believe Benchmarks carbon barrels wont be anything short of incredibly accurate and I hope they are because I will be buying one as well. The Op seemed to have insight into the new offerings so I asked.

Ok, it just came across bad then. I understand no ill intent.

Jfseaman,

The answers to your questions is No. I don't see how that matters though. I was asking to possibly learn something. My little knowledge on carbon barrels comes from shooting the original Abs barrels and speaking with their owner. And recently with Proof (which was Abs). They always stressed the difference with carbon.

I have no reason to believe Benchmarks carbon barrels wont be anything short of incredibly accurate and I hope they are because I will be buying one as well. The Op seemed to have insight into the new offerings so I asked.

Hey Guys, these wrapped barrels have been in T&E and pre-production since last Aug and finally I'm ready to roll. This is a joint venture with Benchmark and I, the blanks are done here then I get them and do my process. Check out Down range precision up in Canada as he has been having great luck with a 28 nosler. I will attach pics shortly or text me 3609138607 and I can get them out quicker. I shot my buck last year with a 65x280 ack wrapped barrel as well. Heat tests have shown after 12 rounds 144 degrees outside temp and 117 degrees bore temp, confirmed by digital thermo.
Chris
Benchmark Barrels

I just confirmed with Chris at Benchmark Barrels that they are now opening up their carbon-wrapped barrels to the general public. I had e-mailed him regarding an option listed on Northwest Action Work's website for "Upgrade to Benchmark Carbon Wrapped Barrel".Chris responded, "Yes I've been doing the carbon wrapped barrels here since last Aug, and am at the point where I am ready to launch to the public. Currently the smallest wrap I'll contour is a #6 and a max finish of 28", on the larger barrels I can go to 1.375-1.5" as well and up to 33" long, granted the muzzle has to be 1" or larger. Our lead-time is currently 4 months, and the retail cost is $800."Nothing on their website yet, you'll need to call (360-652-2594).

Move over Proof Research and Christensen Arms!
Well that's a game changer in the CF barrel market. Competition is GOOD, go get'm Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.