Bench recommendations

megastink

I'm looking for recommendations for a small workbench, maybe 36x12 or 28x12 that's just large enough for my press. My current bench has a partial board top and can't handle the pressure. I'm hoping to find something small that I can mount the press on. Would love to see and hear some ideas. TIA.

I purchased two large tables from ULine.

These tables are rock solid with a 1 3/4" top. I think the smallest they have is 24"x48", but not positive. I know this is a little larger than what you're looking for, but if you can work it in your space, you'll really like it.

I have the front round edge and prefer this over the square edge.

Screen Shot 2021-11-01 at 8.51.38 AM.png

Last edited:

These tables are rock solid with a 1 3/4" top. I think the smallest they have is 24"x48", but not positive. I know this is a little larger than what you're looking for, but if you can work it in your space, you'll really like it.

View attachment 307984
That bench looks awesome. But I'm really hoping not to spend $400 on a bench for just my press.

Frankford Arsenal Platinum Series Reloading Stand

Craftsman with drawers
that wood could be doubled up or swapped out. I checked and the price is $349 when you add to cart.

I'm using a 48" x 24" table I picked up free, added some wood to the top, a couple of thin steel plates on top and the underside where I mounted Inline Fabrication quick change mounts. I also anchored the table to the wall studs.
The space gets used up quickly with odds and ends, added two shelves above it to offset the things I have collected.

I searched Harbor Freight, the less expensive items did not look very robust.

The bold text above is a link

If your issue is a press making the top flex, Lee makes a press stand, it's actually very stable when you put two solid concrete blocks in the bottom. I used one for years.

Home Depot also sells butcher block tops, you could mount one of those over the bench you have. My bench has a block top, the finish on it is a lot better than straight ply wood. I use it for a lot of things, being able to write on it and clean it well is important to me.

My last bench was marked down wood bench from Home Depot. It was like 50% for I think an opened box. It worked well. But any bench with heavy plywood top will work. I'm sure you could find a youtube video on how to make one. I even c clamped a RCBS press to a small mobile computer desk and it worked.

I know this is larger than your looking for but you can often get the heavy old steel office desks for very little on Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. If your in the market for another loading bench that's a very good budget option.

View attachment 307984

I have one bench similar to this one but larger and with upper shelves. My other bench is an old manufacturing assembly table extremely heavy built. I had a smaller pretty heavily built shop table I started with many years ago but have upgraded over the years. There never seems to be enough bench top space or storage space. I have an entire room devoted to reloading in my spare house at this point.

^^^
This tool stand looks like a great small space option. Add a double layer of plywood or butcher block top as suggested and a second plywood shelf down below. It also looks as though it can be attached to the floor if stacking weight on the lower shelf isn't enough to stabilize it enough for your purposes.