Belted vs non belted.

RangerBrad

I have only hand loaded for 25-06 and .204. I am looking at hand loading for the 300wm. I have heard some say there is no diffrence in reloading and have heard others say that belteds are a pain to reload for. Not having any experience, I figured I'd ask the real pros here on LRH. What say yal to this? Thank's, Brad

Even though the brass head spaces on the belt, you need to make sure that you understand how to properly resize the shoulder. Otherwise the cases will stretch each time fired and end up with case head separation.

The way I do things belted cartridges end up being head spaced on the shoulder. I pay strict attention to detail and head space method difference doesn't adversely affect accuracy and the cases seem to last longer.

FWIW

I reload for 2 belted mags.

If you can go non-belted, I would. While the 300WM has huge data, it's still belted.

A 300WSM would be very very close for any load you would want.

Loading a belted case is no different from a non-belted case IF their chambers are cut to proper dimensions, which they usually are, but because the headspace is measured from the bolt face to the far end of the belt rather than to the datum line of the shoulder it seems that sometimes the chambers are cut long. When belted brass is completely FL sized and then shot in a too generous chamber it expands and then when the FL sizing is repeated the brass work hardens and quite quickly cracks or completely separates. Measurement comparisons between sized cases and fired cases need to be done and if they are more than a few thousandths of an inch longer after firing, sizing needs to be done with a neck size only die, that is until the cases grow to the point that bolt lift gets draggy, and at that time the shoulder needs to be set back just a little. This can be accomplished with a FL die set to just size a little of the neck or a shoulder bump die.

Loading a belted case is no different from a non-belted case IF their chambers are cut to proper dimensions, which they usually are, but because the headspace is measured from the bolt face to the far end of the belt rather than to the datum line of the shoulder it seems that sometimes the chambers are cut long. When belted brass is completely FL sized and then shot in a too generous chamber it expands and then when the FL sizing is repeated the brass work hardens and quite quickly cracks or completely separates. Measurement comparisons between sized cases and fired cases need to be done and if they are more than a few thousandths of an inch longer after firing, sizing needs to be done with a neck size only die, that is until the cases grow to the point that bolt lift gets draggy, and at that time the shoulder needs to be set back just a little. This can be accomplished with a FL die set to just size a little of the neck or a shoulder bump die.
Exactly lightbulb

when reloading for my 25-06 I normaly just push the shoulder back 1 or 2 thousands from measurment on the once fired brass. It sounds to me like there is no diff in reloading. Just make sure it,s not to long from base to shoulder. Am I correct? Thank's, Brad

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.